Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Dont do Broadband anymore ? But use vodafone instead ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

A friend who has BT had the speed boost too, he was told that the reason is Vodafone's lowest package will be 3MB whilst BT's is currently 1MB, and sometimes lines are changed a week or two before customers transfer across as all the lines due for any one migration have to be done over a few days due to technical limitations on some systems.

No doubt this is what you are experiencing, however there is a chance that as posted earlier in this thread, the speed increase could make your line worse, as some people on 1MB are on lines that can't support the 3MB, which can result in an unstable connection or in some cases complete loss of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

There's no cap on the 7.6mb BT package we have. Does this mean it's going to start being capped?

I'm afraid so, mine was:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Vodafone have a 30 gig add on for €3.99 to the 7mb package of 60gb.
    Not on the site so I had to enquire.Cant be bad for the peace of mind knowing you have 90gb download if you download a lot.
    This is Vodafone at home by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Vodafone have a 30 gig add on for €3.99 to the 7mb package of 60gb.
    Not on the site so I had to enquire.Cant be bad for the peace of mind knowing you have 90gb download if you download a lot.
    This is Vodafone at home by the way.

Love the username first off:) While I can appreciate 90gb is a generous download limit, previously, I had none at all. I went with BT specifically because they were the only provider available on DSL bitstream in my area that offered an unlimited download. Now vodafone come along (biggest mobile operator in the world) give me 2 euro a month back and cap my download limit.... no thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

matt70iu wrote: »
    Love the username first off:) While I can appreciate 90gb is a generous download limit, previously, I had none at all. I went with BT specifically because they were the only provider available on DSL bitstream in my area that offered an unlimited download. Now vodafone come along (biggest mobile operator in the world) give me 2 euro a month back and cap my download limit.... no thanks

Thats what I thought but was throttled twice by Bt. It was an unofficial 100 gig limit I believe. Unfortunately its still the best in my area so they get my business by default.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

eskimo wrote: »
    I was BT broadband since 2001. I was aware there would be an automatic changeover, but I assumed I would be notified during the week before they were going to switch me over, but I got no notification, so it was only tonight that I realised it when doing a speed test over at speedtest.net
    +1.

But no 300% increase in my download speed... :mad:

669497460.png

/reaches angrily for phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone managed to sort out the DNS issues with some pages not opening properly? I have changed my settings to the Google OpenDNS settings but am still having difficulties opening some pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

matt70iu wrote: »
    I went with BT specifically because they were the only provider available on DSL bitstream in my area that offered an unlimited download.

As has been said a billion times here, BT never did unlimited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

artielange wrote: »
    Thats what I thought but was throttled twice by Bt. It was an unofficial 100 gig limit I believe. Unfortunately its still the best in my area so they get my business by default.
    Have you tried to switch to Smart?
    Have sent in the form. They enforce a cap of ..170Gb (if i remember correctly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,094 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Valentia wrote: »
    As has been said a billion times here, BT never did unlimited.

As is being said once by me here, they did and I was paying for it. It was the top-end package, the one on the next scale down being limited to 30gig.

Their generosity however, has been cancelled out by the piss-poor internet access over the past 48 hours. I don't know whether it's to do with the weather, or BT or Vodafone screwing around somewhere. It's been on and off and up and down like a whore's knickers.

This is the 5th time that I’ve tried to post this because it went down again and again. I’m in the mood for cold-blooded murder now.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

ejmaztec wrote: »

As is being said once by me here, they did and I was paying for it. It was the top-end package, the one on the next scale down being limited to 30gig.

What were you paying for it? I mean was it a completely different product from everything else advertised that you specifically paid extra for the unlimited downloads. If so I've never heard of it. They have (had) a high end product which was advertised as "unlimited" but had a fair usage stipulation. Their interpretation of fair usage turned out to be 100 Gig. I've a feeling that that is what you were on. In which case very little has changed. I'm not aware of Vodafone adjusting the limit to 90 Gig but it would be just like the wasters if they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Eurorunner wrote: »
    Have you tried to switch to Smart?
    Have sent in the form. They enforce a cap of ..170Gb (if i remember correctly).

I've just had a look on their site - seems a bit vague on details. I put in my phone number and it says my line qualifies then gives me a list of packages to choose from - here

But.. there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious differences between their "Complete Plus" and "Living Plus" packages for example. What does "free upgrades" mean? Speed upgrades?

Short of trawling through the terms and conditions, has anyone any opinions on these packages, or Smart in general?

All I want is a decent broadband only (no voice services required) package at roughly 3MB+ and with a decent cap. Why is that so hard to get in this country???

Valentia wrote: »
    What were you paying for it? I mean was it a completely different product from everything else advertised that you specifically paid extra for the unlimited downloads. If so I've never heard of it. They have (had) a high end product which was advertised as "unlimited" but had a fair usage stipulation. Their interpretation of fair usage turned out to be 100 Gig. I've a feeling that that is what you were on. In which case very little has changed. I'm not aware of Vodafone adjusting the limit to 90 Gig but it would be just like the wasters if they did.

Usage stipulation rings a bell, but I didn't read the small print, and as I barely scraped 20/25 gig, it was unlimited enough for me, and probably a lot of other users as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've just had a look on their site - seems a bit vague on details. I put in my phone number and it says my line qualifies then gives me a list of packages to choose from - here

But.. there doesn't seem to be any immediately obvious differences between their "Complete Plus" and "Living Plus" packages for example. What does "free upgrades" mean? Speed upgrades?

Short of trawling through the terms and conditions, has anyone any opinions on these packages, or Smart in general?

All I want is a decent broadband only (no voice services required) package at roughly 3MB+ and with a decent cap. Why is that so hard to get in this country???
    €42.47/month for 3mb broadband and line rental. Thats if they can only offer you a bitstream product (ie. they are reselling eircom wholesale product). If they have their own equipment in your local exchange, then they can offer a better deal. Theres a €30 signup charge but the cap is enforced at 170Gb.

ejmaztec wrote: »

Their generosity however, has been cancelled out by the piss-poor internet access over the past 48 hours. I don't know whether it's to do with the weather, or BT or Vodafone screwing around somewhere. It's been on and off and up and down like a whore's knickers.

This is the 5th time that I’ve tried to post this because it went down again and again. I’m in the mood for cold-blooded murder now.:mad:

Just did an nslookup and discovered that I'm now on Vodafone's balls of a BB system. They're still screwing around after 3 days.:mad::mad::mad:

At least now I know which of them is getting it in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭grellan1

My connection went down tonight.
    Phoned technical support at Vodaphone (as a new customer from BT with a Voyager 2110 router) running Ubuntu (Linux).

Technical Support guy could not help me - they do not support Linux! They didn't know anything about it as an operating system - in other words they are leaving me high and dry.

Anyone else using Ubuntu who has had this problem??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

grellan1 wrote: »
    My connection went down tonight.
    Phoned technical support at Vodaphone (as a new customer from BT with a Voyager 2110 router) running Ubuntu (Linux).

Technical Support guy could not help me - they do not support Linux! They didn't know anything about it as an operating system - in other words they are leaving me high and dry.

Anyone else using Ubuntu who has had this problem??

Unless I'm mistaken, the operating system being used is largely irrelevant as long as you can open a browser window and connect to the router's web interface?

Any diags or info they might need should be available from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Just a quick note. I was having problems with dropped connections and MSN Messenger spotted it was a DNS issue, so I changed my PC settings to Google's DNS server as mentioned before in this thread, and my connection is much more stable and I didn't notice any drops in the last three days. The DNS settings, in case anyone is interested, are:
    Primary 8.8.8.8
    Secondary 8.8.8.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

All of a sudden I'm getting between 600 and 1000kbps on my 3meg line which usually runs at over 4000kbps. This didn't happen when it was BT. I'm not happy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Looking at the overall picture, I think I'd like to stay put (i.e. with Vodafone) for the line rental and call charges, at least for as long as they continue to honour BT's call charges for previously-BT customers* — but get my broadband from elsewhere, maybe Smart (their Home Value 2MB @ €8.50 would probably do me). Has anyone done this?

*In fairness, their call rates are better than the opposition, and my lot make a lorra calls, especially to mobiles. With the BT Mobile Discount for €1.95/month I only pay 14c/9c a minute, saving me a good €20/month or so. Then again, they give no guarantee as to how long they'll maintain this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭koura

I'am also looking to move from Perlico/Vodafone, but there's nowwhere to go.
    Repeated problems over the last 2 months and it getting worse.
    Spent another hour talking to support/sales today. Support were friendly but no better than talking to a warm body, and admitted they could not help me.
    I am guessing their problem in their backbone infracture.
    Sales were arrogant to say the least, take it or leave attidude.
    Offered their free updrade to 3MB but want to tie me into 12 month contract
    Asked to speak to a supervisor, no way.
    What to do. maybe Eircom
    I suppose its the same as most other service providers and banks etc, the don't really give a **** about domestic customers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I seem to be having an issue with my BT Voyager 2110 router not automatically reconnecting after being dropped after 24 hours. This has only become an issue since moving to Vodafone. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Join the club. And I thought it was my netgear router. I'm at the inlaws at the moment and they use eircon. Their standard issue router loses dsl sync frequently probably because we're in Donegal miles from a town exchange. It reconnects itself without problem though. It would be great to get to the bottom of this

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

ashleey wrote: »
    Join the club. And I thought it was my netgear router. I'm at the inlaws at the moment and they use eircon. Their standard issue router loses dsl sync frequently probably because we're in Donegal miles from a town exchange. It reconnects itself without problem though. It would be great to get to the bottom of this
    DSL sync is not lost though, which is even more irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭jrochie

mine is after getting changed over in the last few days, and my line is after getting cut down to a 1mb from 3mb, im not a happy camper! didnt get any letter or anything to say it was being changed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

i'm on 6 mb with vodafone since the change over from bt and what a disaster, from 7 pm to 12 pm my broadband is crap, it usually ranges at about 1 mb in that time frame and the ping is about 90 which is useless for me when i want to play the 360.
    I rang up to complain on numourous occasions and i was told its a contention issue and theres nothing they can do about it. What great customer service.:mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

i've been reading this thread for a while and just wanna check something, my bb for as long as i remember has been fine, i use a netgear wireless router and im on a 8mb connection. i havnt recieved any confirmation that iv been moved to Vodafone (i didnt even know about it til i read it here) but over the last few days i keep getting dsl sync dropping. i see some people suggesting using googles dns addresses, but what i want to know is, could the dns servers cause me to lose sync?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Can someone advise me how i can cancel my contract with Vodafone as i have had enough and ordered the 30mb from UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Simple when i complained about my broadband they told me if i wasnt happy that i could cancel the contract at no cost.
    If you speed is dropping , ping high etc etc , ring complain and tell them yo not happy, you expect to get what your paying for .
    i wish upc was in my area :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

right i told a lie, apparently im with digiweb as per speedtest.net... but changing to the google dns has really stableised (sp) my connection a lot. maybe i was just lucky last night so ill check again later tonight

Advertisement