Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Secondhand bookshops?

Options
  • 15-10-2009 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi folks, I will be in the lovely Cork for the weekend and I am looking for a decent secondhand bookshop. I am interested in lots of subjects but on this occasion I an looking for social/political theory and philosophy books in particular. I know that large numbers of students take these subjects in UCC so I imagine there should be some outlets selling such terrible, pointless items. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The biggest 2nd-hand seller would be Vibes&Scribes on Bridge St. (At the river end of Patrick's St. and across the bridge). Good selection usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Manach wrote: »
    The biggest 2nd-hand seller would be Vibes&Scribes on Bridge St. (At the river end of Patrick's St. and across the bridge). Good selection usually.

I second that. They have a great selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Connollys in Rory Gallaher Plaza (in front of Paul Street Shopping Street), Unidea on Oliver Plunkett Street (Grand Parade end) to name just two.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Vibes and Scribes for me aswell, many's the hour wasted away in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 maestrojon

Thanks a million folks! I hope to while away a few hours on Saturday as "herself" does some shopping and will probably check out all three. Appreciate the help...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Those are all nice bookshops but it might be hard to find what you're looking for there. I'd definitely try Vibes and Scribes and Connolly's though. John Smith and Son on the UCC campus sell some secondhand books, you might find something interesting there. It's only 15 minutes from the city centre.

Edit: Not secondhand, but the remainder section upstairs in Liam Ruiséal's bookshop on Oliver Plunkett St might be worth a quick look if you're passing by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Vibes and Scribes....it's so ridiculously hard to find stuff and that's what makes it amazing :) Also I love how lots of their books are "properly" second hand, like they have loads of notes and underlined phrases etc.

/booknerd

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I was thinking about asking Vibes and Scribes to be my boyfriend earlier today. I love that shop. They have a fascinating looking sociology and philosophy section on the ground floor towards the back. I bought 3 books today. I can't wait til midterm so's I can actually read them!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Do Vibes and Scribes actually Buy books off people? I have a LOAD of books that I will never use that I would like to get rid of. Preferrably in exchange for drink money:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Do Vibes and Scribes actually Buy books off people? I have a LOAD of books that I will never use that I would like to get rid of. Preferrably in exchange for drink money:P

Yeah they buy books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Manach wrote: »
    I thought Vibes & Scribes was on Lavitts Quay? On the Patrick St side of the river. Is there two of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

grenache wrote: »
    I thought Vibes & Scribes was on Lavitts Quay? On the Patrick St side of the river. Is there two of them?

There are 2 Vibes & Scribes, the one on Lavitts Quay opened in the last year or two, all the second hand books are in the one on Bridge St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

grenache wrote: »

the lavitts quay one has all the art and reference books, the bridge street one has fiction and the second hand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Do Vibes and Scribes actually Buy books off people?

Do you not remember that ad on the radio?

"Sure Vibes and Scribes is a great shop bhoy....."

Advertisement