Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies that made you go "uuughhhh"

• 15-10-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

What are the goriest movies you have ever seen or gore scenes that have stuck in your minds ?

Topping my list would be :

Ichi the Killer - The torture scene with the hooks on chains...ouch!

Another Takashi Miike movie would be "Audition" (the scene when we finally see what was in the sack - Still puts me off food when I think about it)

What are yours ?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yet another Miike one would be Gozu - the scene with the broomstick made me wince, even if it's not the worst thing I've seen.

The climactic scene in the original Hellraiser's another good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The fire extinguisher scene in 'Irreversible' gives me a sick feeling to my stomach even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

OMG, totally forgot about that scene - I had to go to therapy after seeing that movie! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Biggest uuughhhh movie for me is August Undergrounds Mordum.

The whole movie stuck with me for weeks afterwards.The scene near the end
    with Maggot in the bath tub raping the childs corpse
    really got to me.

The last 15 to 20 minutes of Pasolini's Salo are also a tough ride.

The weight bench rape scene in Murder Set Pieces is rough as hell aswell.

Im so jaded at this stage that it takes something truly horrific to make me take notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

There were a couple of scenes in Martyrs that really got me... actually the whole film was pretty distubing -
    but when they peeled off all her skin
    - 'uuuggghhhhh'..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

The
    clit snip
    in Antichrist did the trick for me. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

This really isn't me trying to sound tough as I am a wuss but horror movies never make me go uuuggghhh. Must be the unreal quality they have. The end of Audition certainly made me feel uncomfortable but then that wasn't really a traditional horror movie.

I think I must have a phobia about my eyes as the single most terrifying scene I have ever watched was at the start of the excellent Diving Bell and the Butterfly as we watch the paralysed and mute star get his eyelid sewed up by doctors, from HIS point of view. The sense of building claustrophobia and helplessness combined with the realistic effects made me curl up into a ball and turn away. Yet eye ball scenes in horror films such as the infamous scenes in Zombie Flesh Eaters and Hostel didn't make me flinch.

And Something About Mary still makes me cross my legs.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Fysh wrote: »
    Yet another Miike one would be Gozu - the scene with the broomstick made me wince, even if it's not the worst thing I've seen.

And here's me thinking that I was the only one to watch this! Actually saw this in the cinema (cineworld Dublin). There was mostly an Asian crowd (no surprise there), but they were laughing through the whole thing. I had my best "WTF Face" on.............I must watch that again.

Recently watched Infection. It's pretty fast paced and not really gory as such. But there is a few retch moments when
    one of the nurses puts her hands in the disposed needles bag.
    And any movie where the subject matter is a virus that liquefies your internal organs has got to be up that list!

Im a big Miike fan but I thought Gozu was rubbish.

Another thing that gets to me is anything to do with teeth so The Dentist and its sequel were hard going for me.I have a phobia about anything teeth related so they really made me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

nedtheshed wrote: »

Another thing that gets to me is anything to do with teeth so The Dentist and its sequel were hard going for me.I have a phobia about anything teeth related so they really made me cringe.

That reminds me, while not even actually shown on the screen,
    the curb stomp
    in American History X always makes me cringe. I have a thing with teeth, too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It definitely wasn't one of his best, but I did like some of the weirder scenes involving the cow/bull-headed things. Mediocre Miike is still a lot more interesting than a lot of other directors...

Have you seen Teeth? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Thought me and my mates where the only ones silly enough to pay to see Gozu lol WTF - We had gone for a few drinks though before so we had a good oul giggle with that mental mess - that and Save the green planet /lol

Anyways not much makes me squirm either but the bit in hostel where the dodgey "Doc" tells the guy he can leave if he can walk to the door and he cuts his achielles heel just broke me - i was even rubbing my ankles at the thought its wierd but its only things like that which abit more relatable that make me go F*UK :/ and its wierd how few and far between they are.

I'm one sick kitty according to my other half :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The feeding scene from Bad Taste makes me wretch, it's just so bloody disguisting!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Another scene that really freaks me out is from the movie "king Kong" where the
    giant leech forces his mouth over the guys head
    ... it really freaks me out - It's so gross!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Kyri wrote: »
    Anyways not much makes me squirm either but the bit in hostel where the dodgey "Doc" tells the guy he can leave if he can walk to the door and he cuts his achielles heel just broke me - i was even rubbing my ankles at the thought its wierd but its only things like that which abit more relatable that make me go F*UK :/ and its wierd how few and far between they are.

This. For some reason, any scene of achillies tendon trauma just cuts right through me. It's something I haven't ever got used to seeing. The scene in Pet Semetary has the same effect on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Oddly enough, most of the really gorey stuff doesn't bother me much. If it's too extreme it just doesn't seem real in a way.

Oldboy - hammer, teeth, enough said!

The most recent scene I can think of that made me uncomfortable, though it's not incredibly extreme was in District 9 -
    Wilkus pulling off his fingernail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

No real horror film ever freaked me out but The Men Behind The Sun just crushed me. The despair of the whole thing was too much.

Ciaran B wrote: »
    No real horror film ever freaked me out but The Men Behind The Sun just crushed me. The despair of the whole thing was too much.

Try Andrey Iskanovs Philosophy of a Knife on for size.

That is MBTS x 1000.

MikeC101 wrote: »
    The most recent scene I can think of that made me uncomfortable, though it's not incredibly extreme was in District 9 -

That's something that also gets me. A bit of the old Cronenberg-like Body Horror always manages to freak me out. Be it The Fly, or Tetsuo, character that go through a grotesque transformation always disturb and unsettle me greatly. And that doesn't just extend to Horror either, I remember as a kid being very, very upset at the scene in Willow when everyone turns into pigs. Freaked me out for ages.

Oh, and here's something else that freaked the hell out of me. Rachel's sister Zelda in Pet Sematary:

PET_SEMATARY-16.jpg

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭flanree

that film society. wtf was that all about? saw it on vid back in the day not knowing anything about it and felt very ill after the reveal. uuuuughhh indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

Oddly enough, most of the really gorey stuff doesn't bother me much. If it's too extreme it just doesn't seem real in a way.

Oldboy - hammer, teeth, enough said!

Lol thats another one to what the hell is it about these things that make us go "uhhh uhhh wtf" but we can sit and watch someone getting skinned alive and just be thinking "wow i wonder how they did that" lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The bit in "Mirrors" where his sister's
    jaw is ripped off from the rest of her face

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

just watched Antichrist last night and there are a few nasty bits in that. Had to look away when the scissors were produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Kyri wrote: »
    Lol thats another one to what the hell is it about these things that make us go "uhhh uhhh wtf" but we can sit and watch someone getting skinned alive and just be thinking "wow i wonder how they did that" lol.

I was reading (in the Book of Lists: Horror) a list by Edgar Wright, and he reckons it's because we've no real concept of what it's like to have an alien burst out of our chest, or have our head explode from internal pressure, but we can empathise with how bloody painful a papercut or a hangnail is!

He thinks that the scene that affects audiences the most in a "making them go urrrrgh" way in The Thing is the one where Kurt Russell is taking blood samples and cutting into peoples fingertips with the scalpel, I think he might be right!

For those who might be interested, this is what he says:
    "Chances are neither you, nor your family, friends, nor even friends of friends have been groped by a poltergeist, raped by a tree or had their head exploded in a million pieces by a naughty telepath. But I’d wager you all know the sheer agony of a paper cut from an envelope. Ouch. That’s nasty."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

I was reading (in the Book of Lists: Horror) a list by Edgar Wright, and he reckons it's because we've no real concept of what it's like to have an alien burst out of our chest, or have our head explode from internal pressure, but we can empathise with how bloody painful a papercut or a hangnail is!

He thinks that the scene that affects audiences the most in a "making them go urrrrgh" way in The Thing is the one where Kurt Russell is taking blood samples and cutting into peoples fingertips with the scalpel, I think he might be right!

For those who might be interested, this is what he says:
    "Chances are neither you, nor your family, friends, nor even friends of friends have been groped by a poltergeist, raped by a tree or had their head exploded in a million pieces by a naughty telepath. But I’d wager you all know the sheer agony of a paper cut from an envelope. Ouch. That’s nasty."

Yeah, good point. That's why the torture scene in Marathon Man is so effective; we've all been to the dentist and can empathise with Dustin Hoffman in the chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Antichrist, grotesque to say the very least. :D Oldboy was relatively shocking too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

There are a few scenes in August Underground Mordum....the 'sissors' scene and the 'bathtub' scene.

The vacuum chamber scene in Men behind the sun

The eye socket scraping in Slaughtered Vomit Dolls

The 2x4 scene in Maskhead

Gut vomiting in City of the living dead

Castration at the end of Cannibal Holocaust

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Ciaran B wrote: »
    Yeah, good point. That's why the torture scene in Marathon Man is so effective; we've all been to the dentist and can empathise with Dustin Hoffman in the chair.

Watched that as a kid and am still terrified of dentists........ havent even been able to bring myself to watch that movie again..... just :eek: your doing what to my :D!!

goodness, going by this thread i'm in for some real UGGHHHHH then, I've all three of the august underground movies, men behind the sun and cannibal holocaust in my 'to watch pile'...... still tracking down a copy of the followup to men behind the sun; black sun: the nanking massacre........ not the more recent nanking documentary (although that looks interesting too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭porte

Man behind the sun. when the person locked inside the decompression chamber shoots intestines out of his anus-

Advertisement