Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System logs out too quickly on public networks

Options
  • 15-10-2009 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Hello, when posting on a public network, I make the decision not to tick the 'remember me' box when logging in.

However, when typing a long post the system seems to log me out in the background and as soon as I click 'submit' it brings me to the login page, and the post is lost. I know some may suggest simply copy & pasting every post before clicking submit, but this seems a blunt tool when there is probably a more subtle solution a devloper could implement (extend the logout time?).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Why not just tick the 'Remember Me' box?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Why not just tick the 'Remember Me' box?

Yeah, when you log out it clears the cache and cookies so its not keeping your details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

If you tick the "Remember Me" option on a public/shared machine you'd need to remember to log out or else someone could use your account after you leave the machine.

Not ticking that box is indeed the correct approach to take on a public machine since you're inevitably going to forget to log out at some stage.

I don't think that we can extend the session time without affecting a whole load of other things but I'll look into it and see what we can do.

The session time is 15 minutes, so you shouldn't get logged out if you hit the site at least once every 15 minutes. When I've posted from public machines in the past, I've made liberal use of the "Preview Post" button as this keeps the session alive.

Yeah, when you log out it clears the cache and cookies so its not keeping your details

Logging out of boards invalidates your login cookie but it doesn't clear your cache. If you have read your PMs or a private forum the next user of the machine could still see those contents if they want to.

Conor wrote: »
    Logging out of boards invalidates your login cookie but it doesn't clear your cache. If you have read your PMs or a private forum the next user of the machine could still see those contents if they want to.

Ah, didn't know that

• Advertisement

If you're on a public machine and you're paranoid like me, it's worth manually clearing the cache when you're about to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If you used a custom URL when logging in such as flamed.boards.ie, would it still remember you when you try to log in through the normal URL?

If you used a custom URL when logging in such as flamed.boards.ie, would it still remember you when you try to log in through the normal URL?

You just wanted to say URL didn't you

Probably not, but the URL would still be in the history and the data would still be in the cache so it's not really a useful tactic from a security perspective. Anyone who's going to the trouble of nosing around will find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Can you not just press page back to retrieve your long post?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Tallon wrote: »

Nope. All gone.

Conor wrote: »
    If you tick the "Remember Me" option on a public/shared machine you'd need to remember to log out or else someone could use your account after you leave the machine.

Not ticking that box is indeed the correct approach to take on a public machine since you're inevitably going to forget to log out at some stage.

I don't think that we can extend the session time without affecting a whole load of other things but I'll look into it and see what we can do.

The session time is 15 minutes, so you shouldn't get logged out if you hit the site at least once every 15 minutes. When I've posted from public machines in the past, I've made liberal use of the "Preview Post" button as this keeps the session alive.

This has happened a few times to me and it definitely logs me out sooner than 15mins. I would say more like 5-7 mins.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Not on the Godly browser that is Internet Explorer. The developers have yet to see that as a useful addition. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

However, when typing a long post the system seems to log me out in the background and as soon as I click 'submit' it brings me to the login page, and the post is lost. (extend the logout time?).

If you login when the login page comes up your message will be posted.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    If you login when the login page comes up your message will be posted.

Ah. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Ah. :)

I'm a slow typer, it happens to me all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Not on the Godly browser that is Internet Explorer.

Jeeze, are they still making that?

Jeeze, are they still making that?

Netscape Navigator FTW

Advertisement