Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help improve this forum

• 15-10-2009 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭

Kinetic did this before and didnt get much of a response, but i think its worth giving it another try.

What can we do to improve the place?

Personally i feel this place as the potential to be a great forum, but at the moment its struggling to be little more than a glorified classifieds for the console modders.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the place please post on this thread, or via PM if you'd like.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I think at the time, for the current generation, modding was pretty dead or quiet. With the new Xbox 360 mods with linux now usable on it, I can see the scene getting a but of life back in to it. Hopefully we see XBMC360 soon enough too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Could people create photo diaries or methods they used to mod their consoles? Something like this:

System:
    Intended Mod:
    Tools Req:
    Software/Hardware Req:
    Steps:

Its a pity I didnt do this with all my consoles, Id love to have shown some of my early SNES/MD mods..and explain the advantages etc. I still have a 50/60hz switch mod to do on my Mastersystem 2 so maybe I could start with that when I do it.

I suppose I could just do a re-hash of all my console mods with phots etc and go into some detail about them. Id hate to see the forum littered with 360 flash tutorials however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

You can find loads of tutorials on other sites, I can't see the reason to copy them over here.

But I would love to see worklogs, show offs of own consoles, mods etc.

docentore wrote: »
    You can find loads of tutorials on other sites, I can't see the reason to copy them over here.

But I would love to see worklogs, show offs of own consoles, mods etc.

Yeah I was kinda thinking that. Theres no point duplicating an easy to find tut. Maybe just worklogs with photos of the finished article

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Maybe a sticky for posting users console mods? I have a spare 360 that i plan on modding as soon as i get around to fixing the RROD!

• Advertisement

Im in the midst of another project for the arcade & retro forum, and have realised Ive to redo a bad Megadrive region/display freq switch mod. Is that just too old for Console Modding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,192 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Certainly not. I'd be interested to see that, although i was always a nintendo man!

In a way I agree with docentore, in another way i dont. Like there is no point putting up a tutorial on how to flash a 360 using jungle flasher, seeing as the authors wrote a guide them selves! On the other hand the forums shiniest moment since I started posting here was supercell's xbox modding tutorial.

Alot of everybodies suggestions are going to involve stickies, and tbh I hate a forum that has a load of stickies, take for example Building and upgrading has 10, which i feel is about 5 too much! So maybe a sort of index style sticky would work?

I would also like to see threads on the best use of a modded console, where people post applications or homebrew games that they recomend for a console. Its hard to find the best homebrew, especially for the older consoles.

I like the idea of people showing off their mods too, a "my mods" thread is certainly something i would support. Where people can list their consoles, how they were modded and post pics (if they'd like)

If people would like to give feedback on the above, please do! I also really dont mind someone disagreeing with me, so if you dont like one or more of the suggestions say it!

I'm graduating form college this week so I wont be doing anything till next Monday at the earliest

Ok Ill keep a diary with 3/4 photos as Im doing it, prob wont be till next week or so. Ill also be doing a 50/60hz switch mod on a stock mastersystem 2 in the near future. And Im heavily comtemplating composite/rgb/scart output mods on whatever capable consoles I have so I I should get a bit of mileage out of those.

My Snes mod is already done unfortunately, but I may mod the Snes scart cable...

Although modding our wii/360 may have been fun, perhaps we should stick to retired consoles for the moment, to avoid encroaching on any "grey areas"? Just a thought anyway.

Advertisement