Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SOLVED! Rear lens cap stuck! How can I take it off?

• 15-10-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi,

I bought an old Nikon AIS 50mm 1.8 online and got it today. Unfortunately the rear lens cap is jammed on and I cant get it off.

The cap is not the original Nikon (it has a Z or an N on it) lens cap. I would prefer not to have to send it back.

Can anyone recommend a way of getting the cap off without damaging the lens? I've tried sheer elbow grease (and some of my colleagues have too) and it wont even budge.

Any advice is welcome......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

A decent sharp blade and a lot of care.....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

I had this exact problem about 2 months ago...I put it as gently as I could into a vice at home and twisted the lens itself off then...came off no problem where I hadnt been able to budge it an inch myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 themagicmunkey

dar_d wrote: »
    I had this exact problem about 2 months ago...I put it as gently as I could into a vice at home and twisted the lens itself off then...came off no problem where I hadnt been able to budge it an inch myself

Yikes - is that like a bench vice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hi,

I bought an old Nikon AIS 50mm 1.8 online and got it today. Unfortunately the rear lens cap is jammed on and I cant get it off.

At the risk of sounding a bit patronising, make sure you're twisting it in the right direction. With the rear of the lens facing you it rotates clockwise IIRC to get the rear cap off the lens. That's the opposite of what you would expect (from say screwing screws in or something). If someone with ready access to a lens and rear cap could confirm this ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 themagicmunkey

At the risk of sounding a bit patronising, make sure you're twisting it in the right direction. With the rear of the lens facing you it rotates clockwise IIRC to get the rear cap off the lens. That's the opposite of what you would expect (from say screwing screws in or something). If someone with ready access to a lens and rear cap could confirm this ...

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

THAT DID IT!

Sometimes I am so glad to be an idiot. I think we probably twisted it tighter before trying it the other way (on a whim and not expecting any give)

Thanks a million Daire - thats too amusing and I hope your flash of wisdom was gleaned from a similar experience!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Thanks a million Daire - thats too amusing and I hope your flash of wisdom was gleaned from a similar experience!

Indeed it was, many moons ago I ALSO "bought an old Nikon AIS 50mm 1.8 online" and spent ages trying to get the rear lens cap off before trying to twist it in the other direction and slapping my forehead in amazement as it just came straight off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

...slapping my forehead in amazement as it just came straight off :D

LOL lads - think I'd probably have the same problem and would be cursing the lens cap!
    Reminds me of the time when my mates car needed towing - I was sitting in the car waiting for him to put the towing eye into his car and tie the rope!

After several minutes, I heard him F'ing and blinding!! Not really knowing what was happening, I was giggling to myself - few mins later, he comes up to my door and ..
    hes ays "the F'ing towing eye wont go in!"
    Me: "What - show us that ya clown"
    Him: "Im F'ing telling ya"
    I take one quick look at the car,
    Me: "Telling me what!!", as Im screwing in the eye!
    Him: "WTF", "What did ya do??"

Reverse threaded for some reason!! Was so funny - he felt like a complete idiot!! I never let him forget about it!!
    Im sure, you'll never let it happen again! ;)

Advertisement