Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your 09 Sportives, Yes or No 2010

• 15-10-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

As I like many others are looking for Events to aim at for 2010 already. List the events you rode 09 (include distance) and would you recommend them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Here goes -- Ring of Kerry, Comeragh CC copper coast , Kilkenny marble CC,

Tracie Lawlor Slaney CC, Barrow wheelers CC, . Sean Kelly 160 , and a few others I can't remember .

All the above are great .

Ah Mt Leinster ---I can still feel the hail stones beatin my face , I'll do the same thing next year .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

www.stephenrochetourdecure.com/

1 did the 100Km option. I plan on doing it every year. Top marks for Stephen Roche. He hung around for hours after the event for photos and a chat.
    Don't forget the charity side of the event. Every euro helps.

Did the Ring of Kerry (180) and the Sean Kelly (100Km) in 2008.
    Two very well run events. They just didn't fit into the schedule for 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Donal Crowley Memorial Sportive
    Tour de Cure
    Killorglin CC Sportive
    Tour de Burren
    Currow CC Sportive
    Ring Of Kerry
    Trip to Tipp 200
    Abbeywheelers Coast Run Sportive
    Tour of Waterford
    Conor Pass Challenge

The only one I would need to hear improvement in before deciding to do again is the Tour de Cure, it is for a good cause and as said before the man himself is very generous with his time BUT very messy marshalling on the route esp. the return to Middleton.

Next year we're setting the challenge for our members to complete all the An Post series (and get the special jersey for doing so) and I'm hoping to put down the Wicklow 200km in addition to completing the same set of cycles as this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

2009:
    Comeragh CC Copper Coast spin,
    Stephen Roche Tour de Cure 200
    Wicklow 200
    Ring of Kerry
    Sean Kelly 160
    Mallow Rebel Tour 130,

I liked them all and will do them next year, maybe with the exception of Wicklow, and that's just down to it being a bit more hassle for me than the others.
    I enjoyed the Tour de Cure and if the organisers take some of the criticism on board next year it might be a great event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I started doing them this year and due to unemployment I did 10.
    Mick Byrne 100km (Sorrento CC, Dublin): First time out (I did a 50km charity last year but doesn't count), hilly, good challenge, nice company, fantastic scenery and a lot of cake €10 entry so I feel you can't argue. Hope to be back next year.
    Tour de Burren 160km (Burren CC, Ballyvaughan, Clare): I think this is a good one for everyone. No major climbs but still very bumpy and a good old head wind near the coast. Best food stop set up and best cake. €30 for a XXXL T-Shirt but excellent marshalling and food left me happy. Would recommend this to everyone.
    Ring of Kerry 180km (Killarney, Kerry): Two big climbs, nice scenery and every type of cyclist on earth is there. The fact you give a donation is good. Food stops were busy but they handled it well and I got fed and watered. You'll rarely be on your own. Booking the weekend off already.
    Trip to Tipp 200km (Thurles, Tipperary): Relatively flat except for the Vee. €20 entry for a T-shirt. It was pretty well held together until after the Vee where I finished with a happy group. The Vee is a really lovely climb. Hope to be back next year.
    Tour de Kilkenny 160km(Marble City Cyclers, Kilkenny City): This is my home sportive. The sorest bum I have ever experienced. Lumpy route which included Coppanagh and Woodstock climbs which were on stage 1 of this years TOI. Never felt so fooked getting off a bike. €20 entry. Will definately be back next year.
    Martin Earley Tour of Kildare 100km (Naas CC, Kildare): This is fast, only one climb half worth mentioning. Tail wind on the home stretch meant I did it in 3h25 rolling which I flabergasted at. €40 for a medal and pink ladies T-shirt, I thought was a bit steep. Price would want to go down.
    Humpy Hundred 100km (Carlow CC, Carlow) This is a tough bastard of a course. When I got over Mt. Leinster I was thinking, awww that's the worst of it over and so early, boy was I wrong. The fun began after the food stop in Muine Bheag, steep climbs and fast descents. €10 for a medal and rakes of food makes it great value for the money. Definately will be there next year.
    Seán Kelly Tour of Waterford 160km (Dungarvan, Waterford). I know there was bitching about the food stop in Clonmel but there was plenty of food in the other stops to make up for it. Very hilly, very tough and a great challenge. €40 gets you a jersey and a load of food. Booking the weekend off already.
    Rebel Tour 130km (Mallow, Cork) It's lumpy route. Got a bit annoyed at this one. €30/€40 for a water bottle and no food after and I nearly missed a turn because no marshalls were there. If they correct errors and maybe took a look a the Tour de Burren then they'd have a great little sportive. Great shower facilities after. We'll see for next year.
    Tour of the Knockmealdowns 85km (Fermoy CC, Cork) Another trip up the Vee and a smaller climb further on. The way this sportive took the Vee was fantastic, nice slopey climb and a good winding descent. €10 get you all the food you can handle afterwards. Will be back next year.

I do realise you don't just pay for a T-shirt or a medal.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My first year back cycling so easing my way back in.
    2009 Tour of Louth- 106kms
    Ring of Kerry- 180kms
    Trip to Tipp- 100kms
    Tour de Kilkenny- 109 kms
    Lap the Lough- 84 miles

I enjoyed them all, tour of Louth was interesting as there was an incentive to finish in a decent time, Ring of Kerry for scenery and organisation considering the numbers involved, Kilkenny for food :), Lap the Lough for the goody bag and Tipp for the trip, I'm going to try these again in 2010 plus more including WW200.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

hi might it be useful to post a full list of sportives on a probable calendar basis (ie when they were on 2009) to help planning for 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

wicklowvet wrote: »
    hi might it be useful to post a full list of sportives on a probable calendar basis (ie when they were on 2009) to help planning for 2010

Its in the wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 wicklowvet

thanks sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭rottenhat

Hmmm...quite a few: Ardattin 200, Orwell Wheelers Randonnee, Mount Leinster Challenge, Mick Byrne 200, Wicklow 200, Swords CC Randonnee, REK 400, Tour de Kilkenny, the Martin Earley Tour of Kildare, Surf & Turf 300, Sean Kelly Challenge, Dying Sow 300. Might have forgotten one or two in there.

Of these, I'll definitely do all the audax ones again, and the Mick Byrne in particular I would consider to be an excellent and very satisfying event. I'd be willing to do the Mount Leinster, the Tour of Kilkenny and the Sean Kelly again - all three were very well organised and involved riding on roads I don't know that well. Chances are I'll wind up doing the Orwell randonnee again as I'm a member of the club and it would be churlish not to. I wouldn't be inclined to do the Martin Earley or the Swords CC ride in 2010 - I don't particularly enjoy rides with a mass start and a flat course where you're stuck in a large group of cyclists of uncertain abilities that's moving at a fair clip. I am, as I said elsewhere, never doing the Wicklow 200 again.

I would be far more inclined to do rides that I've yet to do - the West Cork 200, Polka Dot Lakes, Lap The Lough - than do one I've already done. But I've also seen the likely audax calendar for next year and I reckon that should be more than enough to keep me busy in 2010 in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

ROK ON wrote: »
    Its in the wiki.

But for this year I know some of the dates were wrong as i had planned to do the hertitage tour of meath as it was meant to be the week after the ROK but closer to the date I found out it was on the same day so word of warning on those to be careful and double check the date although at this point they are nearly all done so nothing to worry about.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

rottenhat wrote: »
    I don't particularly enjoy rides with a mass start and a flat course where you're stuck in a large group of cyclists of uncertain abilities that's moving at a fair clip.

We'll make a racer out of you yet. The thrills... the spills... how can you resist?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

el tonto wrote: »
    We'll make a racer out of you yet. The thrills... the spills... how can you resist?:D
    nothing like the nervous tension of a huge peleton of mixed ability riders ;)

When your brake lever is hitting someone arse, then it's time to back off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

alfalad wrote: »
    But for this year I know some of the dates were wrong as i had planned to do the hertitage tour of meath as it was meant to be the week after the ROK but closer to the date I found out it was on the same day so word of warning on those to be careful and double check the date although at this point they are nearly all done so nothing to worry about.

The reason these clashed is Meath had a Cycling Ireland permit so it had to fit to CI cal. ROK is a stand alone Charity event so no cross checking of dates.

Esroh wrote: »
    The reason these clashed is Meath had a Cycling Ireland permit so it had to fit to CI cal. ROK is a stand alone Charity event so no cross checking of dates.

Oh there aren't enough weekends in the summer not to have some clashing, my point was to double check the dates on the calender. I didn't and hence told couple of people i'd do the meath one and then saw the date the week before and realised it was on the same weekend as the ROK and had to cancel!
    My own fault completely it was just a word of warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

alfalad wrote: »
    The date for the Tour of Meath was wrong initially on the An Post site as far as I can remember and some of the audax dates were changed since originally published.

rughdh wrote: »
    The date for the Tour of Meath was wrong initially on the An Post site as far as I can remember and some of the audax dates were changed since originally published.

So again the lesson is always double check! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

February Barrow Wheelers 100 - Large turnout for time of year mostly a race contingent, freezing conditions and a fast pace for this sort of ride. Enjoyed it though.

Copper Coast Sportif - Early season, pace controlled. A true leisure ride.

Tour De Kilkenny - Tough undulating course, well organised, newcomer of the year.

Sean Kelly - Ok, but the mass start was a little too much, even the etape staggers the start for safety reasons. Keeping it together over the pike made it extremely dangerous too and was reflected in the number of crashes. Still the daddy of them all though and the best value.

Barrow Wheelers 150 - Over Mt Leinster and some difficult roads. High standard of rider (more than half were race heads plus several A's and men of the RAS) and lowish turnout made this one tougher than most races. Recommended, but not for the faint of heart (or legs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Swords CC 140(ish) Tour: 2010 - Yes
    Wicklow 200: 2010 - No (2009 was overcrowded. Could be talked into doing the 100 fancy dress)
    Ring of Kerry: 2010 - Maybe
    Dromara CC Hilly 125: 2010 - Yes
    Tour of Louth: 2010 - Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Nova_era

What's the Tour De Cure 100km like for difficulty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Tour de Foothills,
    Tour de Burren,
    Swords Randonnee,
    Orwell Randonnee,
    Wicklow 200 ,
    Mick Byrne,
    Ring of Kerry
    Martin Early
    Sean Kelly
    IVCA West wicklow

just looking around at Certs Medals and Huge Tshirts..... yeah thats it I think.

Best Event Overall : Sean Kelly
    Worst Event : Wicklow 200 (purely for organisation) Good Route

Best Personal Performance : Wicklow 200 (Preparation is everything)
    Worst Personal Performance: Martin Early.... believe it or not.. (Tried to keep up with that Italian guy and then cramp on the climb........ F**KIN DISASTER.).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

WW200 - probably do it again despite problems - maybe self-catering !
    Tour of Louth 100 - fast and fun - apart from the main climb !
    Sean Kelly Tour - very enjoyable.
    Joe Loughman Randonee (Bray) - tough but enjoyable.

That's all I could fit in this year. Hopefully a few more next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

LastGasp wrote: »
    That's all I could fit in this year. Hopefully a few more next year.

Get ready, we are doing etape, or marmotte, we 'll see :p

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Get ready, we are doing etape, or marmotte, we 'll see :p
    hmmmm..... might take more training than I have time ! Sounds good though ! By the way you must have too many Jerseys. Yours is still here along with FrankGrimes's.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Nova_era wrote: »
    What's the Tour De Cure 100km like for difficulty?

Pretty flat course, much flatter route than the Sean Kelly or the Ring of Kerry.

The cycle from Youghal back to Midleton was tough enough, but that was due to the wind on the day.

I have enjoyed all my days out and would recommend most.
    West Coast Wheelers 100km
    TOI
    Mask Challenge 80km
    Croi Lap of Corrib 75mls
    Wicklow 200
    Tour de Burren 160km
    Cornamona 50
    Western Lakes Polka Dot 180km
    Tour of Kilkenny
    Yeats Country Tour 120km
    Donamon Leisure Tour 120km

Would give TdeB the vote as best Overall
    Tof KK would say make a weekend of it
    Pola Dot is home event and would say give it a go if you want to try somewhere new as the route is thru amazing countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭stopped_clock

This was my first year at this type of thing - just did the two:

La Marmotte:
    2009: Part of a great week in the Alps. I found some photos from the trip this evening and it got me thinking about it. I made it to the bottom of l'Alpe d'Huez before calling it a day for various reasons, but mostly due to missing the time cut-off and a sore knee. The 4 big climbs were nothing short of brilliant; the stretches of main road between them disappointing at times (but that can't be helped).

2010: Definitely. Unfinished business...

Sean Kelly Classic:
    2009: Did the 100k. I didn't spend much time on the bike during the summer so having done (most of) the Marmotte, deserved the slagging I got from a boardsie for not doing the 160. I had a good time cycling it with some friends. Fantastic atmosphere and very well organised.

2010: Strong Probability. Having read the reports of the 160k route, it sounds great!

Other Possibles for 2010:
    Wicklow 200
    Tour de Burren
    Dragon Ride
    Etape Caledonia
    Prosecco Classic

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did the WW200, Tour de Kilkenny and Lap the Lough this year.

No major problems on the WW200 as I set off ahead of the crowds and missed the queues. Lap the Lough struggled to cope with the numbers (parking was a pain, and facilities for the numbers involved were limited). The Tour de Kilkenny was head and shoulders above the other two for organisation (and the weather was good, making it a very enjoyable event all round, although I was caught out by the hills:))

Next year my targets are:

WW200
    Tour of Louth
    Tour de Kilkenny
    Tour of Kildare
    ROK
    Sean Kelly Tour (in preference to Lap the Lough)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

The one down in Bagnelstown over xmas. Freezing cold lumpy and enjoyable. Great spin for the time of year 2010 yes

Mt Leinster. just couldnt be any worse then this year. 2010 yes
    Swords S140km. 2010 yes

Tour De Foothills 2010 yes

Tour of Louth.The clock starts when you leave the car park in "the nuetral zone". 2010 yes

Swords Nth County Sportive.Could do with being moved to before WW200. Would get a fairly big crowd then. 2010 yes.

Vets West Wicklow. 2010 yes

Possibles for next year icnlude
    Etape Caledonia
    Tour of MEath

• Advertisement

Can anyone suggest a challenging sportive in the UK that they might recommend 160 - 200 k or thereabouts... seems to be some super events over there by all accounts

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a challenging sportive in the UK that they might recommend 160 - 200 k or thereabouts... seems to be some super events over there by all accounts
    http://www.cyclosport.org is the place for you.Has the full Cal. Listed by month etc. Loads of reviews etc so you will need plenty of time to browse it:)Though all the ones they regard as the classics to do fill up very early.(though when I enqired earlier about 2 the organisers were happy to let me in as an 'International Entry ')
    Plenty in Wales and the Lake District and arond Stoke on trent that would not require much travel off the boat.

Esroh wrote: »
    Plenty in Wales and the Lake District and arond Stoke on trent that would not require much travel off the boat.

Exactly what I was looking for thanks alot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

This was my first year at this type of thing - just did the two:

La Marmotte Marmatton:

this is what its called when you only do 'the loop' and dont go and finish at alpe d'huez :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

APRIL
    Kare Tour de Foothills - 100km - Good lumpy route and weather on the day
    Orwell Wheelers Randonee - 100km - Wicklow spin on hilly route
    MAY
    Sliabh Bloom Challenge - 160km - Included Wolftrap and The Cut, enjoyed it
    Carlow 150 - 150km - First time up Mount Leinster
    JUNE
    Wicklow 200 - 200km - Might give it a miss next year depending on route
    Billy Butler Cycle - 100km - Over controlled at start, not my best day
    JULY
    Twin Peaks Challenge - 100km - Nice spin around Wicklow with Naas CC
    Trip To Tipp - 100km - A bit over controlled for my liking, included Aherloe
    AUGUST
    Tour de Kilkenny - 100km - Tougher than I thought, back next year
    Martin Earley Tour of Kildare - 100km - Fast & flat, a change from the others
    Humpy Hundred - 100km - My favourite, Carlow CC know how to organise a bike ride
    Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford - 160km - Tough, enjoyed it despite the weather
    SEPTEMBER
    Joe Loughman Randonee - 110km - Included hardest 40km cycled all year
    Tour Of The Falling Leaves - 70Km - Nice Saturday spin for good cause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Looking back, I only managed two events this year.

Tour De Foothills - really well organised and great for a first time running. Will probably do again next year.

Ring of Kerry - 2nd year in a row, good event but might give it a miss next year.

I'll probably try and do the Tour De Foothills and Tour of Kildare because they are local to me (I missed the ToK this year because I was away). Apart from that I don't think I will do any in Ireland next year.

In my ideal world, I'd be giving the Marmotte a go next year. But that will depend on time and money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TREK

Hi Lads,

I’m working with the Midleton cc guys on this year’s TDC. (As opposed to just cycling it last year)

They have taken the feedback from last on routes, signage and food.

They have decreased the 200km route to 160km and have added a family route of 15km. (With the aim of getting younger people cycling)

Routes will now run South east direction towards youghal making it safer for riders.

Online entry is now opened at €40. But they giving a great quality jersey (Made by Spin 11) and goodly bag for each rider.

For all you racers there will be a A2, A3, & A4 crit race on the Sunday. With Stephen Roche riding the “Race of Champions”

Great W/E of cycling for everyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 garrynolan

Hi, back on the bike last year after a long lay-off due to injury. Only did a couple: 50 miler/80 kms in Cork for charity then the Finn MacCool Challenge up north (Belfast to Coleraine via the coast, 100 miles) which was brilliant. Have also done 12 Maracycles and one Bordertrek around Dundalk/Mournes/Newry. If you're interested, the Maracycle is on again this year - starts in Belfast only, goes to Dublin, then returns to Belfast.
    On a slightly off-topic note, if you like pushing yourself a bit check these out - not just cycling. www.roar.ie (choice of 2) and www.gaelforcewest.ie. I'm going for them to try to cure myself of a mid-life crisis (48).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hi,
    My list for 2009 (apart from a few races):
    - April - Ardattin 200k Audax (sorrento Cycling Club) - Small turnout but very well organised for small numbers. Check-ins at different points and food etc. Very nice little medal from Audax people. Great bunch of people doing it too....
    - April - Tour de Kare -Naas 100k (cycled there and back so 182k for me) about 300 riders, well organised, good food and marshalls, food and t-shirt at end.
    - May - The Sorrento CC (Mick Byrne) Randonee - few different distances - I had 194k in the end. OK but a few people got lost - was not easy to follow route.
    - May - Swords CC Randonee Tour up The coast. Really good with 100k and 150k options. Well marshalled with van and motorbikes. Food stop in café in Drogheda. Very fast return with a bit of racing going on - great!
    - June - Wicklow 200. I enjoyed it anyway but it was completeley overwhelmed by the number of participants - I was glad they weren't scanning in at the checkpoints (Donard) and had my own food as the queues were brutal. Long drag back from Rathdrum in a headwind....
    - June - Tour of Louth - Could definitely recommend this event if you like the opportunity for a fast 100k sportive. Different finishing time-bands got gold, silver, bronze medals accordingly. Nice enough route, some climbing.
    - September - The Joe Loughman Randonée (with Bray Wheelers) This was great as we had police escort etc. down the main road (N11) for the first part and there was a neutral service car following along behind. Up over the Wicklow mountains. 113k.
    - September - Cycle the Wight - Isle of Wight randonnee - 120k, no real mountains but fairly undulating. Well organised and nice - four different places to start the loop so no mass start.

Previously did others like:
    The Seán Kelly (Waterford), - brilliant some tough climbs though, well organised.
    Martin Early (Naas)- again very good and fast, one stiff short climb.
    Twinpeaks Challenge (Naas) Wicklow Gap and Sally Gap etc. - very nice 100k

These are good and only sorry I missed them in 2009.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I've never done a sportive before but this year I hope to do the following events in Ulster:

Tour of the Glens - Castlereagh CC- 2 May
    Costal Lesiure Tour - Dromara CC- 9 May
    Bangor Costal Challenge - North Down CC- 20 June
    Tour of Inishowen - North Pole CC - 27th June
    Divis Challenge - Phoenix CC - 4 July
    Mourne Sportive Hilly - Dromara CC - 8 August
    Inishowen 100 - Foyle CC - 15 August
    Lap The Lough - Castlehill CC - 29 August
    David McCall Sportive - Maryland Wheelers - 26 September

If anyone feels like venturing up North a decent calendar of events can be found here:
    http://www.dromaracc.co.uk/leisure/Leisure_Calender_2010.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I just got my info pack back from the Croi 'Lough Corrib Cycle Challenge' and they're looking for a minimum of €100 to take part in this 75 mile cycle, when I asked the organisers about the cost they said cyclists were turning up last year with only €20 or €30 which they said hardly covered the cost of the T-shirts and refreshments, I know this all sounds like a bit of a rant from me but does anyone else think this is a bit steep?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

vektarman wrote: »
    I just got my info pack back from the Croi 'Lough Corrib Cycle Challenge' and they're looking for a minimum of €100 to take part in this 75 mile cycle, when I asked the organisers about the cost they said cyclists were turning up last year with only €20 or €30 which they said hardly covered the cost of the T-shirts and refreshments, I know this all sounds like a bit of a rant from me but does anyone else think this is a bit steep?

Yes

vektarman wrote: »

No you are dead right alot of people have issues with being told that they need x amount of money (aside from the usual 10,20 even 30 euro) before they can enter an event... plus and more important for promoters to realise that you have a huge drop off of intrest when you dictate high entry fees.

I will not mention the R word in this... 100 euro is crazy....loose the t shirts to start with ..... :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

+1 vektarman €100 is ludicrous. Other events manage far lower fees and include a T-Shirt or even in some cases a cycling jersey (e.g. the Stephen Roche TDC mentioned above and the Sean Kelly last year.)

Frankly drop the T-Shirt if necessary and get the price down to something like €20 max. All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot when no-one turns up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blorg wrote: »
    +1 vektarman €100 is ludicrous. Other events manage far lower fees and include a T-Shirt or even in some cases a cycling jersey (e.g. the Stephen Roche TDC mentioned above and the Sean Kelly last year.)

Frankly drop the T-Shirt if necessary and get the price down to something like €20 max. All they are doing is shooting themselves in the foot when no-one turns up.
    To be clear, €100 is not the entry fee. It is the amount they ask you to raise for the charity that is putting this on http://www.croi.ie/sites/files/croi/cycle_sign_on_09.pdf

I do not believe there is any separate entry fee to cover the costs (complimentary breakfast, T-shirt etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Beasty wrote: »
    To be clear, €100 is not the entry fee. It is the amount they ask you to raise for the charity that is putting this on http://www.croi.ie/sites/files/croi/cycle_sign_on_09.pdf

I do not believe there is any separate entry fee to cover the costs (complimentary breakfast, T-shirt etc)

For some people it does essentially become an entry fee. There are only so many times you can approach family and friends asking for sponsorship, after which you end up paying for it all yourself. I don't agree with minimum sponsorship anyway, I think have a set fee (30 euro like the guys say) and anything on top of that is a bonus for the charity. I think this is how the ROK works no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

On the topic of fees. I was out for a spin with another boardsie recently who happens to know someone on the IVCA WW200 organising commitee. He was saying that even with the fee they are charging that the are not rasining much money for the IVCA with it. Costs (signage, outrders, marshalling, St Johns Ambulance etcetc is actually pretty high).

I think the key for these type of events is to get as many people to donate time as is possible. Thats where the Ring of Kery and Sean Kelly seem to have an edge.

ROK doesn't have an entry fee but most people give generously out of courtesy anyway, probably gains more than it loses.

No you can't go to your family and friends every couple of weeks looking for sponsorship otherwise you just become a chugger. Myself and a lot of the guys here did a good few events last year. The last two years plus this year I'm raising for one cycling event per year.

This Event is one of their biggest fundraisers and think this is 16th yearThey have asked for min 100 euro in Sponsorship each of the 5 years I rode it. Its not a Sportive its a cycle around Lough Corrib which to Galwegians is like ROK to Kerrymen. There has never been an entry only option and will not tell you that you can ride it for less. But on the Day I have neer seen them turn anyone away.
    I could be wrong but T-Shirt,Foodstops and Breakie is sponsored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

ROK ON wrote: »
    On the topic of fees. I was out for a spin with another boardsie recently who happens to know someone on the IVCA WW200 organising commitee. He was saying that even with the fee they are charging that the are not rasining much money for the IVCA with it. Costs (signage, outrders, marshalling, St Johns Ambulance etcetc is actually pretty high).
    I would be astounded if that is the case, especially given that so many other clubs (including my own) organise sportives for a fraction of the cost. Our own one is a tenner.

blorg wrote: »
    I would be astounded if that is the case, especially given that so many other clubs (including my own) organise sportives for a fraction of the cost. Our own one is a tenner.
    Blorg out of interest
    Could you ask the club sec/tres does the sportive raise any money for the club or does it just pay for itself.

Also are all your outriders etc paid or volunteers

• Advertisement
Advertisement