Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your 09 Sportives, Yes or No 2010

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Blorg's the treasurer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

I signed up for the Whistler Gran Fondo as I'll be in Vancouver for the end of the summer. It looks like fun, but the fee is outrageous, $175CAD, about €120. They're providing a dedicated lane on a highway for most of it, so don't know if they had to pay for that. It's short enough, 120km, with about 2400m of climbing, so a bit like a short W200.

For that money I'm expecting organic smoothies and wild salmon sushi at the rest stop (not totally outlandish in that health-zealous part of Canada), and my own soigneur with a bag of 'potions'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It raises money for the club, specifically for the youth section. It is run as a fund raiser. There is a LOT of voluntary support from the parents in particular though.

I don't think we have outriders but neither does the Wicklow 200 that I ever noticed (I was responding to this rather than the Lough Corrib cycle.) Stuff like an ambulance costs money but honestly it is NOT a lot. Insurance is covered by requiring CI membership or a day license, I don't know if this would help the W200 if they did it that way.

I accept the level of sponsorship/volunteers makes a big difference. Everything I have ever heard though was that the Wicklow 200 basically raises much of the budget for the IVCA each year. I don't begrudge them this either BTW, just think it could be run a bit better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

blorg wrote: »
    It raises money for the club, specifically for the youth section. It is run as a fund raiser. There is a LOT of voluntary support from the parents in particular though.

I don't think we have outriders but neither does the Wicklow 200 that I ever noticed (I was responding to this rather than the Lough Corrib cycle.) Stuff like an ambulance costs money but honestly it is NOT a lot. Insurance is covered by requiring CI membership or a day license, I don't know if this would help the W200 if they did it that way.

I accept the level of sponsorship/volunteers makes a big difference. Everything I have ever heard though was that the Wicklow 200 basically raises much of the budget for the IVCA each year. I don't begrudge them this either BTW, just think it could be run a bit better.

I agree re the running of w200.I was just interested if for a 10e the club makes any money.
    I do run the Wl Polka Dot and just know the figures as far as its concerned. We do make enough to run each year and add improvements as well as give to the chosen Charity. I would love to have 1/4 of the W200 entries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Bit of an amateur question here but,
    Do you need to be a member of a club or hold a cycling Ireland licence to participate in sportives?
    Where is the best place to find a calendar of events?
    Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

You can get a one day licence on the day with most of them for a tenner and no, you don't have to be in a club.

It's included in the fee in the WW200 as far as I know.

An introductory leisure licence is only a tenner from cycling Ireland, though, so it might be worth your while getting one, if you are going to enter several.

List of cycling ireland events here (link provided by loyatemu) and in the wiki here

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Esroh wrote: »
    This Event is one of their biggest fundraisers and think this is 16th yearThey have asked for min 100 euro in Sponsorship each of the 5 years I rode it. Its not a Sportive its a cycle around Lough Corrib which to Galwegians is like ROK to Kerrymen. There has never been an entry only option and will not tell you that you can ride it for less. But on the Day I have neer seen them turn anyone away.
    I could be wrong but T-Shirt,Foodstops and Breakie is sponsored.

Did this event last year for the first time and was very impressed and planning to do it again this year. I would agree that a hundred euro is a bit steep but enjoyed it last year and there are a number of us going down this year in May. I know for us we will pay it ourselves rather than go looking for sponsorship - cant keep asking the same people for money all the time. I think it's just a case of deciding whether you can afford it and whether you think it is worth that amount of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Just noticed on the Sean Kelly Website that the 100km route is completely different this year - I would guess that this is in response to the pressure on the food stop at Clonmel last time around. This time Carrick and Clonmel will not be on the 100k spin which is heading along the coast to Tramore instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Esroh wrote: »
    Blorg out of interest
    Could you ask the club sec/tres does the sportive raise any money for the club or does it just pay for itself.

Also are all your outriders etc paid or volunteers

Our club tour makes a small profit wth an entry fee of €10 and a lunch stop provided.

(It's donated to charity BTW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

I think that the answers to the W200 accounts would be found in here, if anyone is very keen on investigating:- http://www.cro.ie/search/ListSubDocs.aspx?id=342220&type=C

Sorry, should have said these are the IVCA ltd submissions on the CRO website.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In all likelihood you won't find out that much. I'd be willing to bet the IVCA only needs to file abridged accounts, which means you'll only see a balance sheet, so would get no idea of their revenues and only find out their net profit. Even if they did reveal turnover, they would be unlikely to breakdown how much came from the Wicklow 200 as opposed to membership fees etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    Would love to do a couple of these this year and will do the swords one at least as i live there, i cycle a hybrid and have a steel racer i'm probably faster on the hybrid average speed of 24 kph cycling on my own will i be able to keep up in any of these sportives and do most people cycle racers the reason i bought the hybrid was for the easier climbing gears.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most people do them on racers although you do have a few hybrids. Most find the additional hand position and weight distribution on a drop-bar bike beneficial for the long distances involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭gmoorewest

Has anyone done the Dave Llyod Mega Challenge, going to be in Wales this summer so have entered.

Advertisement