Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who will you vote for?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

irish_bob wrote: »
    he has said in the past ten days that thier should be no further cuts in public sector pay , he also described the newspaper articles on the public sector as scurrilous

What he said was he was opposed to across the board pay cuts. Thats quite different. This is the speech he gave to SIPTU on the 6th of October.

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1254821599380338.html

The PS wage bill will have to be cut no matter who gets into power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    The PS wage bill will have to be cut no matter who gets into power

True. And the Unions will find it a lot harder to have a fight with a Labour Minister for Finance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sinn Féin though I would like a leadership change. Its time for Gerry and the rest of the old guard to move on.
    I would like a leadership contest for his replacement so that the next leader can set out Sinn Féins vision for the future.

After that Labour are the best of a bad lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    I think it in the interests of transparency etc it would be no harm if you stated that you yourself intend to run as an independent candidate. You are not just some man on the street but some with a vested interest in getting elected. No harm in that but you should be upfront about it.

After all that one of the reasons you are getting into politics now - to bring a new level of honesty into Irish political discourse.
    Your quite right.

If the opportunity arises (its about timing with me) I intend to try and start making a difference.
    I also wish to state for the (public) record that to be a TD position should be by the holder, treated as a vocational one and not a career one. Its a service to the country and its people.
    With that in mind, I feel the money that TDs are paid is far too much.
    If by some miracle, I was some day (I don't expect my first try to be successful to be honest) to represent the Irish people, if the earnings and perks were still at around the same numbers, a good deal 20/30% of it will be donated to a certain national crises centre in Dublin and Crumlins Children's hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Was talking to a guy lastnight who is closely related to an independent senator and reckons that Fianna Fáil will be re-elected if there are big cuts this year and the economy is back in growth by the next election.

As happy and all as I was to hear that someone would vote for us, I don't think it would be good for the party to be re-elected at the next election. However, it shows there are still people out there who would have no qualms voting for FF again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

How many of us actually feel accurately represented by those we voted for? I certainly don't when I voted for the Greens.

So I think our system of goverment has failed us. Not only are we not getting an average of what the individuals of this country want we are being treated with total disregard and disrespect.

This leads me to believe that our system of deomcracy works fine when no humans are involved with the system, but once people are involved (as they have to be of course) then it doesn't work very well.

Massive reform won't cut it anymore. There needs to be fundamental change in governance.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Will be voting for Labour. The only major party to have an alternative vision to our neo-liberal government.
    Hopefully FF and Fg will merge, so we can have a proper left/right politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Free market capitalism has failed.
    I'd love to read the detailed logic behind this supposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ninty9er wrote: »
    Was talking to a guy lastnight who is closely related to an independent senator and reckons that Fianna Fáil will be re-elected if there are big cuts this year and the economy is back in growth by the next election.

Was he drunk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Maybe we might have been "back in growth" by the next election if we hadn't been forced to pour money into the Anglo cesspit and borrow accordingly.

And while I don't have a crystal ball and a large number of Irish people (and not just FF supporters, BTW) seem to vote based on ridiculous and blinkered criteria - Ahern, Lowry, Cooper-Flynn, Healy-Rae & possibly O'Donoghue - I don't think the above is the case.

Maybe if they get lucky with NAMA, and if they finally weed out the waste and corruption, and finally offer fair and competent government people will view it as having turned the required corner, but many people will be intelligent enough to see that - no matter what "growth" will hopefully exist by then, we would be in a far better position at that stage if the economy hadn't been mismanaged and the waste and corruption had been supervised and stopped the moment it raised its ugly head.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I will vote FG next time. I learned my lesson by voting for Eamonn Ryan and will not be caught out like that again. FG are the only party who will not enter government with FF, I'm still not sure about Labour since Spring went in with Reynolds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dob74 wrote: »
    Will be voting for Labour. The only major party to have an alternative vision to our neo-liberal government.
    Hopefully FF and Fg will merge, so we can have a proper left/right politics.

I don't think our government is neo-liberal, just full of close relationships of a not good kind.

All our regulators seem to be cosy regulators in that they know the people they are regulating too well and have a sure paddy I know you didn't mean it, I'll let it slide this time attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

FG are just FF with a different color shirt,

The only real alternative is to have a labour led government,

Dont fall into the trap of voting for FG just to get rid of FF, they are doplegangers.

I will be voting for Labour, but being honest I can only see a FG led coalition in our future. Unless people get clever which is never going to happen, we are Irish and stupid(funny,drunk,ugly :D) in the majority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shane-1

Sinn Fein, a real alternative to the stale politics of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. A vote for a fairer and a better Ireland for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Id vote for Sinn Fein if they went a left wing, pro-immigration working class party!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Lets summarise Fianna Fails policy, particularly since 2004 when McCreevy was deposed and the strings of the public purse were torn loose.

- Higher social welfare spending
    - Higher public sector wages
    - Higher spending in general
    - Appeasement of Public Partners
    - Cutting taxes

Now lets review Labours "alternative" vision

- Cutting taxes

Yeah, they're a real breath of fresh air in Irish politics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Sand wrote: »
    Lets summarise Fianna Fails policy, particularly since 2004 when McCreevy was deposed and the strings of the public purse were torn loose.

- Cutting taxes

- Cutting taxes

as dev once said , fianna fail are the labour party in ireland

- Cutting taxes

- Cutting taxes

Where do Labour say higher ps wages? Where do they say cut taxs?
    Your source please??

Red Alert wrote: »
    I will vote FG next time. I learned my lesson by voting for Eamonn Ryan and will not be caught out like that again. FG are the only party who will not enter government with FF, I'm still not sure about Labour since Spring went in with Reynolds.

Gilmore has stated clearly they wont go into government with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Gilmore has stated clearly they wont go into government with FF.
    So did Trevor Sargent;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

@Taxipete29
    Where do Labour say higher ps wages? Where do they say cut taxs?
    Your source please??

- Gilmore agrees and supports the public sector wages introduced by Fianna Fail: He has said he does not support job cuts or pay cuts.

- Labours tax cutting agenda was part of their 2007 electoral manifesto. Not only did they agree with the tax slashing agenda, they wanted to cut it even further.

When people ask why did Fianna Fail win election after election, they need to remember that Labour (for one) didnt offer anything different. The public liked high spending, low taxes and Labour merely offered higher spending and lower taxes.

Dont get me wrong...Fianna Fail deserve to be expelled from politics for a generation for their utter mismanagement of the fiscal situation in the last couple of years, and some combination of Fine Gael and Labour is the only workable alternative. But claims that Labour are or were "the only major party to have an alternative vision to our neo-liberal government" are ludicrous.

Fianna Fail are not neo liberal. Labour do not offer an alternative vision. Theyre basically offering the same crap with different brands. The only difference being Fianna Fail are at least realistic enough to acknowledge tough budgets are required to rein in public spending to sustainable levels in line with revenue, whilst Labour are off snorting hopium.

@Red Alert

This is a very good reason for voting FG: It is one of the racing certainties of Irish politics that Labour might do a deal with Fianna Fail ( As I've pointed out they dont have any real policy differences and the match is easier than one with FG) but FG will never go into government with Fianna Fail. If you absolutely positively want to ensure Fianna Fail dont get back into power in 2012, Fine Gael is a better option for your vote than Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Labour will never ever do a deal with FF. The last time they did despite a Labour finance minister presiding over a time of economic properity, a Labour education minister axing third level fees they were hammered despite being a part of one of the greatest governments in the history of the state. Labour will not make the same mistake twice, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

FF : Maybe. Not really anyone else to vote for.

Greens : Never do. They seem too weak.

FG : Maybe if they replace Enda with someone with balls who comes up with plans, and pushes them forward. Enda seems useless.

Labour : Nope. They're too union-happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It never amazes me how many times Enda Kenny manages to throw away opportunities like with the bull controversy or he comes out with some idiotic policy.

I mean I'm sure FG would do great things in power or at least fix some of the crap things FF have done and I would vote FG but it would be despite Enda Kenny leading the party, not because he is leading the party.

Of course it would also depend on the individual candidates in my area. Not going to give someone a preference just because they are a member of FG. Will not vote FF though, they need time in the wilderness to cleanse themselves, maybe attend a day spa when its not at the taxpayers expense.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

FF: Never did or will I vote for them

Greens: Usually like them a vote but will take a long time for me to vote for them again.

Labour: Hmmm give them a preference usually but too union happy and like to spend too much money.

SF: They do local politics very well, would give them a preference alright but dont like their economic policies. Kinda the joker of the pack

FG: Yep, fiscally conservative. Bruton and Lee know what they are on about. Have to give them a go. If only they could be voted in as a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

the_syco wrote: »
    Greens : Never do. They seem too weak.

I would have said this a few weeks ago, but they have more or less single-handedly stopped third level fees coming in, which is one of the only positive moves this government has made recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

- Cutting taxes
    You missed a few things:
    Decentralisation at huge cost (300m+), disruption of the public service as part of a rural vote-buying exercise.
    Stimulis for the the buliding industry (see above, and more)
    Non-regualtion of the banks.
    Blank cheque to Irish-language industry (Official Languages Act)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I see the FG (ff little brother) troup are on again, Thanks for the laugh this morning guys.

Saying Labour are identicle to FF is probably the most rediculous(funny also) thing I have heard in this forum, even coming from Sand.......

So did Trevor Sargent;)

Trevor Sargent said that he wouldn't lead the Greens into government with FF and, true to his word, he didn't.

• Advertisement

I would have said this a few weeks ago, but they have more or less single-handedly stopped third level fees coming in, which is one of the only positive moves this government has made recently.

How was it positive? The tied the (their) government's hands in advance of the budget, with no hint about how education is to be funded.

Here's what they say about education funding on their website.
    1. Fund Education
    Step 1. is to significantly increase investment in our education system.

Comprehensive, eh?

It's all part of their '50 steps to a better education system' policy. The policy has just 24 steps (so that's mathematics covered). They have a link to a seperate website specifically about this policy (http://www.50steps.com/) but, tellingly, the link is dead.

Advertisement