Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bristol GS advice

• 15-10-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

I currently hold a PPL (issued by the IAA) and I'm hoping to get a commercial license next. Obviously, 14 ATPL exams stand in my way. After looking around and doing my research, I'm seriously considering Bristol GS (distance learning) but I've got two concerns that I'm hoping someone here who has been through it already could address for me.

All along I've said that I would need a classroom environment to study for the ATPLs. While I have the dedication, I get distracted when studying at home. Mind you, I was never all that interested in what I was studying before so maybe it would be different now.

First question: would anyone advise me not to do the BGS based on this information or can anyone get through the ATPLs using BGS?

Second question: would it be recommendable to actually go over and visit their centre before handing over money for the course? I've emailed them about it and they said that a face-2-face meeting with them is not required in order to start the course. All I would need to do is give them my address and my credit card details (convenient eh...). Given their reputation and the amount of praise they get on pprune, I'm inclined not to make the trip but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Don't worry about Bristol. They have a excellent reputation in the business. I haven't used them myself but those I know who have and all recommend them highly. You really don't have to see them face to face.

I'm not sure if anyone does full time groundschool outside an established full time training course. But even so it takes about six months of full time classroom work. So unless you sign up for an integrated course you really have to knuckle down and set time aside at home and study.

If you look at their website you can see there is an intensive two week classroom revision course at the end of each module. That helps.

It seems to me that your real fear is that you will lack the dedication to put in the effort and you want as it were someone to hold your hand and push you along. I would suggest that you get together, if you can, with someone else doing the exams. It's always a great motivational help.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

Thanks diverdriver. As for someone holding my hand, I know why you'd think that but it's not the case. I've never been all that good at studying at home and feel I do best, when I can ask questions and receive feedback from an instructor/teacher in a study environment, be that a classroom or a library. A study partner would also be a good idea but unfortunately, I don't know of anyone looking to do the ATPLs at the moment, let alone with BGS.

Anyway, I'm coming to the conclusion after reading all the good reports that I would be able to do it so unless I get a cautionary tale, I'll probably opt for it.

One other question... If I do the exams with the CAA, can I still go to a different country and do my CPL there, so long as the FTO is JAA approved? Or would I have to get my CPL from a school in the UK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

my mate did his atpl with oxford aviation full time took him just over 6 months they have a good reputation.

as for the cpl you can do it in a caa/jaa approved school outside the uk.

it took my mate just under two years to get his f-atpl he did the ppl in the usa came home started the atpl 3 months later.
    when he passed them he headed out to the usa for hour building&cpl got them came home for a month went back out got his multi within a week.

back home again then went to bristol for 2 months he passed the ir just waiting on his licence to be issued by the caa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

One other question... If I do the exams with the CAA, can I still go to a different country and do my CPL there,
    Can't speak for any other country but the IAA allow the British exams to be used. But you need to tell them what you're doing in advance if you're going for the Irish CPL.

You cannot generally do the training under one country's rules and then do the test under another. So you cannot train under the CAA rules and then do the test with an IAA examiner. But as I said the IAA allows the British exams to be used and I think vice versa with permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 critical alp

Excellent school and comprehensive notes. Used them 7 years ago and am comfortably in the left seat at 41000 feet;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement