Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night Storage Heating Units

Options
  • 15-10-2009 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Hi,

I just moved in my new apartment and the house has an electrical heating system. What I would like to know is:

- What does means "Night Storage Heating Units" (it's written on my bill)? How does ESB know which units come from the storage heating units and which from other appliances?
    - What are the hours range with which the Night Storage Heating Units are calculated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Night storage units are unit used at night to heat your storage heater blocks. They are cheaper that ordinary units.

They can tell what you have used at night for storage because you most likely have a two meters. One Of which switchs on via an ESB timer and gives power to your storage heaters.

I think there is also a dual tariff meter where all power used at night is on the second cheaper tariff. So you could have sotage heating and water heating cheaper.

Your meters are most likely located centrally at the main distribution panel for the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The hours are 11pm to 8am in wintertime and 12am to 9am in summertime for the cheap rate.

Their is nightsaver and NSH.

Nsh just gives you cheap heating at the above times, while the nightsaver (commonly known as day and night rate) gives you cheap electricity on all usage at the above hours.

Their is a separate meter reading for your nsh so thats how they can know.

Advertisement