Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox knackered (not RRoD), advice appreciated

• 15-10-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭

Apologies, it's a bit of a yarn. . .

Hopefully some of you wise people could help shed some light. I've searched elsewhere online in vain.

Approx 2.5 months ago my 2nd Xbox 360 (i.e. one i bought for the gf's house. . .in Dundee, don't ask :() has decided to give up the ghost and not bother turn on anymore. In fact, when it's plugged in to the mains, the orange light on the brick just keeps flashing. If i disconnect the cable from the machine, the orange light stays constant like it's supposed to but when reconnected to the 360 the flashing starts again immediately (you can actually hear it as it flashes).

Has anybody else experienced this? Very few cases noted online

The warranty was supposedly up on 13/07/09 according to xbox.com. I called MS approx 8 weeks ago to see what they could do. After explaining at length what the problem was, the MS guy, not very confidently, said that it was a power brick problem. He also said that it was out of warranty and he could transfer me through to the sales team to buy a replacement brick for £20+ (how very nice of him :rolleyes:)

Anyway, i got myself a new cable and brick elsewhere, although not much cheaper. Connected it all up yesterday and guess what?. . .exactamundo, flashing orange light on the new brick!

I'm planning on calling MS to dispute the warranty. I really don't think I should have to pay for a repair. This machine has been used maybe 30 times since purchase (she's not a big gamer, to say the least). Has anybody got any experience of disputing the warranty term?

I'm planning on highlighting the issue of the support guy giving inaccurate and cost inducing information. I'm also gonna push for a bit of goodwill seeing as this is my 2nd xbox, the other at home already having been repaired for RRod twice. . .due to go again pretty soon, i reckon.

I kind of wish i got the new brick directly from them to strengthen my case of complain against them. I do realise the timeframe will work against me but i don't live in Dundee and i've not been here much in the past 2 months.

Thanks for reading this far, apologies again. Can anybody offer any advice as i begin my quest? Was there something about the EU imposing a 2 year warranty on such electrical items? Any help at all would be sweet. . .

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Are you plugging it directly into the mains and not through an extension lead or something which may have a fault?

Is the AV cable connected properly?

Flashing orange means its detected a fault and is stopping itself from powering up, it could be an error in the brick itself like a blown fuse or it could be an issue like the AV cable not connected properly or if its plugged into an extension lead an issue with that.

Id double check all of the above, if possible check the one you just purchased and your old one on a different xbox to see if they work or not and narrow it down a bit so you can confirm its the power brick. After that id get back on to xbox and look for an official replacement although I would say good luck with getting it under warranty off them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thanks for the reply

ok, both bricks i now own both work with a different xbox - tested this morning, this is the most anoying bit as i could have tested this before i bought the 2nd one!

also, i've tried both direct to mains and to an extension cable. the thing is, the brick isn't flashing when i try to turn on the xbox, it's actually flashing as soon as the xbox is connected to a live mains.

i've deduced that it's definitely the xbox where lies the problem (pretty obvious after what i've just typed above:rolleyes:)

Advertisement