Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it no really time to assess how much the irish language costs us all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Actually, the 'legitimate' part is your opinion. And therein is the point: what is "legitimate" to you and others here is "illegitimate" to me and others here. Supporting compulsory English and Maths, and their ridiculously abstract and irrelevant syllabi, but opposing compulsory Irish is simply a preference. It has no greater rational merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Rebelheart wrote: »
    More of the same hypocrisy around the issue of compulsory Irish. You clearly have no problem with forcing hundreds of thousands of children to study English and Maths for the Leaving Cert, two syllabi of minimal relevancy to the vast majority of people.

Literacy and numeracy are hardly irrelevant.

Ziggurat wrote: »

Or relevant to the English and Maths Leaving Cert syllabi for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

And that just sums up how utterly ridiculous the arguments from the pro-gaelic lobby have become in this thread.

• Advertisement

And that just sums up how utterly ridiculous the arguments from the pro-gaelic lobby have become in this thread.

That you evidently think children should be forced to learn about Jane Austen and trigonometry sums up how utterly ridiculous and intellectually partisan the arguments from the anti-Irish lobby have become in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

Or relevant to the English and Maths Leaving Cert syllabi for that matter.

I cannot actually find the words to respond to this. You honestly believe that?

I cannot actually find the words to respond to this. You honestly believe that?

Obviously. Since the day I left secondary school I haven't once had use for any of the formulae which we learnt or the ridiculous poetry and novels we did for the Leaving.

I don't know about anybody else but I knew how to read and do my sums fluently long before I was forced to do Maths and English in the Leaving Cert. The reading and sums I do on a daily basis predate what was on the Leaving Cert syllabi. I did not need to be forced to read prescribed writers and I have yet to find any use for an algebraic equation. Yet, like countless others I was forced to go through all of that rubbish.

That you evidently think children should be forced to learn about Jane Austen and trigonometry sums up how utterly ridiculous and intellectually partisan the arguments from the anti-Irish lobby have become in this thread.

As any kid from 5 - 18 years old can tell you, there is more to studying English than Jane Austen. Reading comprehension and basic grammar are vital skills to learn for anybody in this day and age. There is also more than maths than trigonometry as you damn well know, although that particular subject area is an order of magnitude more useful than Irish ever will be. Again, basic numeracy skills are far more vital to the average Irish person than some long dead language. Even stuff like algebra is still useful to me these days.

This thread has clearly descended into parody. The pro-gaelic crowd needs to get their head out of their asses and stop being so hypersensitive. Forcing Irish down people’s throats and leaching off the state are probably the worst ways to promote a language. The sooner people realize that, the better it will be for the language itself.

• Advertisement

Obviously. Since the day I left secondary school I haven't once had use for any of the formulae which we learnt or the ridiculous poetry and novels we did for the Leaving.

I don't know about anybody else but I knew how to read and do my sums fluently long before I was forced to do Maths and English in the Leaving Cert. The reading and sums I do on a daily basis predate what was on the Leaving Cert syllabi. I did not need to be forced to read prescribed writers and I have yet to find any use for an algebraic equation. Yet, like countless others I was forced to go through all of that rubbish.

Well if you had picked a career in engineering, science, computers, you would probably have plenty of use for maths skills. There are a hell of a lot more jobs available in those areas than there ever will be an Irish. I certainly have no use for Irish at this point and probably never will.

25% of the Irish population is functionally illiterate, so there is something very wrong with the priorities of the Irish education system.

It may indeed be a "national priority" according to IBEC and others. It is not a "national priority" or indeed a priority for Seán Citizen who is struggling in school and is not strong in mathematical intelligence. To parody those who are against compulsory Irish, to be forced to sit a maths exam when he is going to work at something far removed from Pythagoras and the like is impeding that student's progress in what he wants to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I didn't imply - it's exactly what I said. (although now the Polish section has disappeared, and the pitiful Irish section is left)
    I for one do have an issue with that. It's sending a clear message that I'm not valued as a voter, and to be valued I have to use English with them.
    I would like to think that all Irish speakers are not single-issue voters. I would also like to believe that many Irish speakers see piles of translated documents moldering in county council back offices around the country as a wasteful use of public funds.

Have you read any of my posts? I advise you to read them. I am far more pragmatic than you make out..

And I can't be arsed repeating what I have said for you.

As for the single issue voters, well if you think about it this is a big issue about National Identity to many people. Where FG are virtually the same as many other parties on various issues, this is easily big enough to tip the scales.
    For me, I would not accept that someone who goes so much against something I feel strongly about can represent me properly.

Fine Gael are grabbing headlines. Note that they haven't actually laid down any policies in relation to the language.

Furthermore I don't really care who you'll vote for, go start a FG are great thread:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

To Donegalfella - This might make for interesting reading for you. It's what I received from Fine Gael last year when I contacted them in regards to their Irish language policies.
    Fine Gael Ard Fheis 2006 – Change, for the Better
    The Irish Language – Wider Reforms, A Brighter Future
    Speech by Dinny McGinley TD, Fine Gael Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs Spokesperson at the Fine Gael Ard Fheis, ‘Change, for the Better’, Citywest Hotel, Dublin, Saturday 6th May 2006

Introduction
    I wish to thank all those who have contributed to this motion.

Many of today’s speakers have spoken eloquently on this issue and it is crystal clear that there is a real desire to see the Irish language thrive throughout the country.

As a fluent speaker, the Irish language is an integral part of my identity. I communicate through it on a daily basis and receive a tremendous amount of joy in doing so. There are thousands of people that do likewise in Ireland but there are many more that do not.

Even lovers of Irish cannot ignore the fact that Irish is in trouble. The majority of the population do not use it in their daily lives and, despite, receiving over 1,500 hours of education in the language many of our young people are leaving school without any reasonable command of Irish.

The Fine Gael Leader, Enda Kenny has already kick-started the debate, outlining his vision to bring Irish into the 21st Century. His radical approach to reforming and reviving Irish is built around a simple goal, equipping our people, and particularly our young people, with a real, a useful, and a communicative knowledge of the Irish language. It is now time to bring that vision to the next level and specify the policies of how, when in Government, Fine Gael will reform and revive Irish.

We need a radically different approach to the Irish language, in both our education system and in society. Above all we need a Government that will produce a National Strategy for the Irish language.

Irish Language Strategy
    A Strategy is needed that makes a clear and honest assessment of

• Where we are,
    • What the Government wants to achieve for the language,
    • What Government can do and what we want and expect others in society to do to support us.

At the moment no such strategy exists. It is true that the Minister for Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs, Eamon O’Cuiv, has already established a Language Advisory Committee. However, this Committee has no real role. It has no power to issue a Report or recommendations. Instead it will report to him as to whether or not he should develop a strategy. How can the language survive and thrive if it has no long-term direction?

The future of the language cannot and will not be served by a toothless talking-shop. Irish needs a National Strategy will ensure that all bodies and all initiatives working for the Irish language have a clearly defined role and a clear sense of purpose

This Strategy would be formulated by a Committee nominated by the Minister and would be representative of all interested bodies, from the Gaeltacht and non-Gaeltacht areas. The Strategy would set out recommendations to be enacted by the Government for the future development of the language, over the next 20 years.

In particular, the Strategy would be tasked with retaining and preserving Gaeltacht Areas, developing and promoting the Gael Scoil movement; marketing and promoting the language and bringing forward measures to develop the Irish language amongst the general public.

The Strategy will form the blueprint of our ambitious plans taking the long-view and bringing Irish firmly into the 21st century and beyond.

Irish and Our Education System
    Our education system is the silver bullet in the fight to renew Irish. Enda Kenny has already talked about immersing primary students in the language, overhauling second-level syllabuses by introducing oral exams at Junior Cert level, offering Irish as an optional subject at Leaving Cert level, changing the focus of the language to a more modern and spoken tint and setting up a new subject, Communicating through Irish.

But we need to go further.

The Government needs to increase its investment to Gael Scoileanna. Too often the Dept. of Education will only become involved in providing school buildings and other educational facilities after communities have spent years struggling to get Gael Scoileanna up and running. This is not acceptable

One of the long running difficulties with education through the Irish language is the critical shortage of educational publications in Irish. Very little progress has been made in making available a wide choice of educational material in the Irish language. Fine Gael in Government will address this as a matter of urgency.

Finally, I can’t emphasis enough the power a modern syllabus can have on the language. Modernising it to make it more relevant for students and teachers with more emphasis on ability to speak the language will be the first priority for a Fine Gael Government.

Promotion of Irish Among the General Population
    While we encourage the use and promotion of Irish among our student population, we need to develop more innovative and imaginative means of encouraging the increased use of Irish among the general Irish adult population. Most Irish adults have basic Irish and they should be encouraged to use it more often.

We also need to recognise that Ireland has now become a multi-cultural place and with thousands of new immigrants coming to live and work in Ireland we need to think how we can promote the Irish language among such new communities. Many of these new arrivals on our shores are parents who would like to learn Irish, for their own interest and also to help their children. We need to examine how we can assist these individuals, with special classes and tuition if necessary.

Fine Gael has supported the campaign to have Irish recognised as an official EU language. We must now ensure that qualified personnel are available and trained to meet the demands of the EU in implementing the policy of having Irish as an official language. The last Annual Report of the Irish Language Commissioner highlights the failure of the Government to provide services in the language to its citizens. Fine Gael in Government will address this problem and ensure that every citizen will have the right of conducting his or her business in the language of choice.

Language Tourism
    Our tourism market can also benefit massively from language reform. The Irish language also offers a huge untapped potential, in attracting both domestic and international tourism for those who wish to study and learn the Irish language. The expansion of language tourism must be targeted not just at school students, but also to adults, both Irish and international.

As a representative from a Gaeltacht area, I am aware of the massive problems with declining job opportunities in many of these areas. Increase tourism will allow for the development of spin-off businesses in Gaeltacht areas, particularly areas which have been badly affected by the decline in traditional manufacturing industries and this is a massive ancillary benefit.

Job Creation and Údarás na Gaeltachta
    Finally FG believes that the powers and functions of Údarás na Gaeltachta needs to be reassessed and reformed. It must strive to promote job creation by moving with the times and creating employment, which is centred away from traditional manufacturing to more innovative and technology based creation. It also needs to do more to help smaller entrepreneurs. The plethora of job losses in Gaeltacht areas, particularly Donegal, highlights the need to move away from traditional industry to modern services based industries, such as telecommunication or pharmaceutical. Critical to this aim, I believe is the provision of reliable broadband and other IT services for Gaeltacht areas.

Conclusion
    There can be a bright future for the Irish language but only if a Government has the courage and the vision to implement necessary reforms and pursue far-reaching policies.

Fine Gael has that courage and that vision.

We want to see a population in love with its language and a language thriving in its population. Fianna Fáil has had its chance to renew and revive Irish and refuse to do so, only a change of Government will see the vital reforms put in place.

Fine Gael’s radical, ambitious programme for Irish will see it change. Change, for the better.
    Ends
    Summary of Irish Language Proposals

The Fine Gael Leader, Enda Kenny TD has already kick-started the debate on the future of the Irish language, spelling out his radical, imaginative vision to bring the language into the 21st Century. Fine Gael Gaeltacht Affairs Spokesperson, Dinny McGinley, outlined further proposals from the Party that will renew, revive and reform Irish:

Irish Language Strategy
    The development of National Strategy for the Irish language is a vital move. At the moment no such strategy exists as Minister O’Cuiv’s Advisory Committee is little more than a toothless talking shop with no real power to issue a report or recommendations.

Fine Gael proposes a Strategy that will:
    • Set out recommendations to be enacted by the Government for the future development of the language, over the next 20 years.
    • Be formulated by a Committee nominated by the Minister and would be representative of all interested bodies, from the Gaeltacht and non-Gaeltacht areas.
    • be tasked with retaining and preserving Gaeltacht Areas, developing and promoting the Gael Scoil movement; marketing and promoting the language and bringing forward measures to develop the Irish language amongst the general public

Irish and Our Education System
    The Fine Gael Leader, Enda Kenny TD, has already proposed several important initiatives for teaching Irish in our education system from reforming the curricula at all levels in primary and secondary schools to setting up a new subject, Communicating through Irish. Fine Gael wants to go even further.

In Government we will
    • Increase investment to Gael Scoileanna.
    • Address the massive problems and critical shortage of educational publications that are available in Irish.
    • Modernise all syllabuses, making them relevant to students and teachers

Promotion of Irish Among the General Population
    Innovative and imaginative means of encouraging the increased use of Irish among the general Irish adult population must be developed. There are new challenges for the language:
    • We need to recognise that Ireland has now become a multi-cultural place and we must think how we can promote the Irish language among new communities. We need to examine how we can assist these individuals, with special classes and tuition if necessary
    • The last Annual Report of the Irish Language Commissioner highlights the failure of the Government to provide services in the language to its citizens. Fine Gael in Government will address this problem and ensure that every citizen will have the right of conducting his or her business in the language of choice.

Language Tourism
    The Irish language also offers a huge untapped potential, in attracting both domestic and international tourism for those who wish to study and learn the Irish language. The expansion of language tourism must be targeted not just at school students, but also to adults, both Irish and international.

Job Creation and Údarás na Gaeltachta
    The powers and functions of Údarás na Gaeltachta needs to be reassessed and reformed.

It must strive to promote job creation by moving with the times and creating employment, which is centred away from traditional manufacturing to more innovative and technology based creation. It also needs to do more to help smaller entrepreneurs.

I personally liked the idea of a "communicating through Irish" subject.

Although as it stands, it's really only paying lip-service, because the majority of Fine Gael activists I've either spoken to, or read topics from - seem to have either a passive or anti-Irish stance. I'm very skeptic about them going through with such a motion.

Perhaps you might contact them and ask them if their policy is still the same? Just for the sake of clarity.

E-mail: vincent@finegael.com

That's the chap who got back to me about it.
    Most of the pragmatists I know have gravitated toward Fine Gael—for want of a better option, in some cases. They don't necessarily have an "anti-Irish" agenda, but they do understand that promoting the Irish language is a low-priority item for government at this stage. When it comes to cutting wasteful state spending, they do not see Irish as immune from cuts. That is a right and good thing.

I don't want to see wasteful spending either. But in terms of Irish funds, I want to see the funds used better - to fund Gaelscoilenna and the likes.

There is an issue with the curriculum, and this has been addressed. But Fine Gael appear to want to introduce a new Irish class to address this. This would obviously require more funding, would it not?

I don't dispute your figures. I've said for a long time that the educational system needs to be reformed.

According to this paper, FG appear to want to further invest into Irish and add another Irish subject in schools. Surely this is contradictory to your feelings on the topic, and perhaps Fine Gael are not as on the ball about the issue for you as you had thought? Correct me if I'm wrong - or indeed, contact FG yourself and get some clarity on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

So its the anti-Irish people who are allowed be single-issue!?:rolleyes:

I think peoples levels of Irish are underestimated, and with a bit of effort people can actually use what they know, and you'll find that people know a lot more than they even think they do.
    I think on another note that the Irish have a complex about the language, and thats what's holding the language back...

Would you agree with their increased funding into Gaelscoilenna? (After the economy stabilises)

What sort of funding do you feel the language should receive, and in what areas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

murphaph wrote: »
    Interesting piece in the Times. Read it here. Basically Clare county council (like loads of councils in attempting to adhere to the law) spent 30,000 translating 3 development plans about 4 years ago. Not a single copy was ever purchased in Irish. In contrast and for completeness, 190 copies in the English language were bought.

I'm not at all against the Irish language, but are we going about this the right way at all? Would that 30 grand not have been better spent on something else, even on a proven method of enhancing the use of irish (evening classes or something, anything rather than translation expenses for unread documents!).

I am sure the official languages act allows government agencies to dispense with either language. Should they now seriously reconsider what they deem important for translation into Irish? I think they should.

The 30 grand might indeed have been better spent on something else, but there are a few questions which this raises which have not been asked. Is this a genuine or a 'paper' 30k.

That is to say, if those translations had not been done would be in fact have 30k that we do not now have, or is it a calculated amount which does not really reflect the genuine actual cost - in the way that, say, a helicopter trip for a government Minister can be made out to cost 5 grand or whatever even when it is provided by an already existing government agency which would not cease to exist even if your man walked to whatever event was in question? In other words, can a translator earning 30k be sacked if these reports are not translated?

And secondly, only 190 copies of this plan in English were bought - hardly bestseller stuff. If we are looking at public money it would be interesting to know how much the printer charged and consequently how much per copy the English copies cost/generated and if they constitute value for money?

Surely there is an argument for putting such reports on the net and the few genuinely interested parties and other busybodies could view them there or print them off if needed. Obviously if someone in a government department printed one off the cost could be calculated by a journalist at probably about 5k or something, but the average punter can but 500 A4 pages for probably €3.99.

Countless government reports can be purchased in the government publications office - why is there a need for such a public office at all? And why when the internet is there is there a need to have all that material printed? And how much does it cost to pay the salaries of those who man the public office?

Like I said there are many pertinent questions that maybe some down-on-his-luck journalist might profitably follow-up and help us concerned citizens to be concerned because it seems we worry about these things only when they appear in the newspapers.

But this is meaningless because of its subjectivity - if you had a mind to you could argue that any single endeavour in support of any language is wasteful and pointless because it is essentially a qualitiative judgement.

If that (the part underlined) is indeed Fine Gael's position then it precludes them from doing nothing, nor indeed commits them to doing anything. It gives no indication one way or the other about their intentions.

The only thing we can say about FG's intentions is that they will check which way the wind is blowing immediately before deciding on them as they have done with all this leading-nowhere nonsense about abolition of the Seanad, the plan to reimburse the Eircom share-holders, and Kenny's solo-run on the abolition of Irish as a core subject a few years back.

1) The question here is what FG policy is. I am saying that what is being presented as FG policy here is irrelevant as it is too nebulous and counched in subjective language as to be any realistic guide to what they might do (which of course is what any good policy should be so that you not commited to actually doing anything). I'm not sure why you are saying "is perfectly possible to study policies and their outcomes to arrive at a rational cost-benefit analysis" as that by definition is a retrospective - which is quite distinct to what has been raised here.

However, to go with that for a moment, the problem with such analysis is that you mention the word 'demonstrable' which is a view which will always see language/education policy as failed because it is an area of softer/qualitative analysis where outcomes are more gradual and less given to measurement. How, for example, could you assess the economic benefits of teaching , say, Shakepeare or German when 99/9% of people will never have (direct) recourse to either again in their lives? Yet, money is given to a schools system which does just that.

2) I don't agree with chucking labels at people as you do as it is (ironically considering your constant use of the word 'rational) quite an anti-rational view - surely the political opinions or state of mind of Irish language supporters (even if you could reasonably purport to know them) is irrelevant? However, since we are going down the road of broad brush-strokes it seems just as fair to say that the same often appears to work in reverse - i.e. many who question the spending of money in specific areas regarding the Irish language and present it as rational analysis will when pressed often emerge as opposed to any promotion of the language. That of course is a perfectly valid view as long as they are honest enough to declare it and not try to couch it in amateur economist-speak.

1) This is the kind of economic illogicality that always dogs these debates. Stopping teaching Irish in schools would not reduce the cost of Irish education one iota as the same number of teachers would be employed anyway. And secondly, if a "demonstrable, tangible, positive outcome" (in the form of school results or a measured ability at a subject) is to decide everything in terms of educational policy then we would also stop teaching subject like Maths (twice as many people do honours Irish as do honours Maths - which genuinely is a compulsory subject unlike Irish) and English literature is schools simply because people do badly at them - we have native speakers of English who cannot take an honours English paper! The idea of dropping subjects people do not do well in because they do not do well in them is interesting. The question is what should be taught in their stead?

2) If these figures are so well hidden and unacknowledged how come you know them? It is widely known that many students are brutal at Irish (as many are at other subjects too - but you hear less about that) but what is less clear is how the policy of compulsory Irish is behind this. The implied notion that a foundation level Irish student who could not "after 14 years of instruction" tell you what 'yesterday' is in Irish will somehow have French pouring out of them because it is optional is as laughable as it is fanciful.

The biggest sacred cow of all is claim that compulsory Irish is the reason so many are brutal at it.

3) Where did I say you were opposed to "any promotion of the Irish language"? I merely adopted the opposing position to you when you decided to generalise about supporters of the Irish language. The stereotypes works both way - that's all I am saying. I have no idea where you fit in and I never attemoted to categorise you at all.

And incidentally who alleges that the language is "thriving"? (This is just straw man stuff you are throwing in)

And "blank cheques"? Where are you getting this from? Government is in fact quite stingy in its support of any cultural initiatives. A weekly Irish language newspaper had to close a few months back because the government would not provide any more funding so the idea that there are blank cheques floating around and that "ongoing demands" for money are met with unthining acquiesence is simply an untruth and should not be presented as anything else.

One final question; since your are "opposed to ongoing demands for blank cheques to fund nebulous schemes that do not ever seem to have brought about any actual benefit" - where do you stand on the continuing subsidisation of the national museum, the national library and the national gallery? Presumably you have no choice given your stated position but to oppose their existence since if "one is arguing for spending millions of taxpayer euros annually one [should] be expected to show a demonstrable, tangible, positive outcome from those policies". The tangible benefit of the national museum (entry is free if memory serves so we don't get even any of that lovely money from it) is not immediately clear to me anyway.

I can appreciate your point of view, and I understand that your views are noble in nature - wanting to save funds for other areas in society.

However, across the world - unique aspects of history are being preserved by Governments. Whether it is artifacts, literature or language. Out of Ireland, Britain and the Islands in between alone - there are 5 languages besides English being supported by Governments, at various levels. 5 languages on this tiny area on the edge of the Atlantic. Irish, Welsh, Scottish Gaelic, Manx Gaelic and Cornish.

Out of those 5, the two that are fairing the best are the ones who receive the most support from their respective Governments. Irish and Welsh. Irish receiving substantial support is not something new, nor is it unique.

While I appreciate your POV - you must also take into consideration that many people do not want to see Irish gone. I would argue that the majority of the people support Irish being state-supported, at various levels.

The argument of the "amount" of funds allocated to Irish for certain areas is certainly something we could discuss, debate and compromise on. But the entire removal of state-support is not something I would consider and I feel that if Irish was removed from state support today - the Irish people would not be pleased. If you feel differently, that's fine.

I agree on the principle of re-structuring the framework of Irish. I am for making change for the better of the language, and trying new things to promote it. However, I'm personally not interested with what I view to be a defeatist attitude of scrapping the support.

Of course it does. It's human nature to feel a certain attrition to their culture. It's not unique to Ireland. But I have no problem in a cost-benefit discussion. So long as it's fair and balanced. I think the real issue stems in the fact that you believe that Irish speakers should have to read documentation in English. I believe it dilutes the nature of Irish as a first language. We can certainly discuss the amounts of funds allocated in areas that are not Irish strongholds - and increasing funds to where there are - but I will still like to see accessibility for everybody statewide for the language.

What you see as a bottomless pit, others see positive effort. Don't you feel that the issue is entirely subjective based on your own or my own personal views on the language? I would certainly agree that funds are being misused, or allocated to wrong areas. I put forth that the Irish language system in schools needs to be torn down and built up from scratch again. Nobody is more annoyed with the lack of bang for our buck when it comes to the Irish language than me. Nobody is more annoyed with the lack of real progress with the Irish language than me. You're not alone, I assure you.

I don't think we'll ever agree on the topic. We have two polar opposite views. But I think in the name of maturity and respect for other people's opinion - we should certainly discuss the issue and I'm more than happy to discuss it further.

Just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

dlofnep wrote: »
    But I think in the name of maturity and respect for other people's opinion - we should certainly discuss the issue and I'm more than happy to discuss it further.
    Would you agree to an amendment to the Official Languages Act requiring that all schemes devised under the act have their costs properly accounted for and that the Department of Gaeltact affairs be responsible for collating and publishing the costs imposed by the act?

I think transparency like that would reassure the English-speaking majority that the amounts being spent are reasonable.

Would you agree to an amendment to the Official Languages Act requiring that all schemes devised under the act have their costs properly accounted for and that the Department of Gaeltact affairs be responsible for collating and publishing the costs imposed by the act?

I would have no problem with that whatsoever. I'm all for accountability for every penny of tax payers, no matter what the issue. Infact, it might even benefit the language movement as we could then decide on where to better spend the said funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Aard wrote: »
    That's like telling a Walloon that he has to know Dutch if he wants to study anywhere in Belgium. Which would be fine if he were attending a university in Flanders, but by your reasoning he would have to learn Dutch even if he were attending a French-speaking university.
    Can any of the pro-Irish tell me that my analogy is incorrect?

Advertisement