Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it no really time to assess how much the irish language costs us all?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Is this because you want to avoid justifying the much more expensive part of the Official Language Act - the provision of all public services in Irish?

To be fair the provision of services through Irish is generally accepted to be the logical half of the OLA by most critics! In fact the original complaint was the translations that were never even looked at.

Besides you may find that the provision of services through Irish doesn't add a whole lot of costs, as what happens is the office Gaelgeoir is just made deal with queries, and phonecalls. Although this is a minor part of their job. There isn't a call centre based down in Connemara for the state!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

Is this because you want to avoid justifying the much more expensive part of the Official Language Act - the provision of all public services in Irish?

I don't know what the costs to the taxpayer are of the more expensive part of the offical language act so I can't attempt to justify them. I do have an idea of the costs of translating documents into Irish and I am justifying those costs. I think it's wrong that people like you don't have the option to claim back the 2 or 3 euros of your taxes that are spent on translations each year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

O'Morris wrote: »
    I don't know what the costs to the taxpayer are of the more expensive part of the offical language act so I can't attempt to justify them. I do have an idea of the costs of translating documents into Irish and I am justifying those costs. I think it's wrong that people like you don't have the option to claim back the 2 or 3 euros of your taxes that are spent on translations each year though.

Instead of giving a tax refund (where's the money going to come from anyway?), why not just stop giving grants to those in the Gaeltachts, and use the money instead for the translations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Cliste wrote: »
    Besides you may find that the provision of services through Irish doesn't add a whole lot of costs, as what happens is the office Gaelgeoir is just made deal with queries, and phonecalls. Although this is a minor part of their job. There isn't a call centre based down in Connemara for the state!
    How much money exactly? And, how much more when departments are forced to comply with the OLA in full?

Numbers please.

How much money exactly? And, how much more when departments are forced to comply with the OLA in full?

Numbers please.

why out of curiosity would I have any numbers?

Have you looked into it - perhaps emailled the departments and asked, or if that doesn't work get onto your TD. Asking randomers on forums tends not to be a great source of info tbf.

Not to mention it is the pro-Irish side (a generalisation) who are bringing the figures to the discussion...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

After a quick Googling, these are some yearly expenditures on Irish:

€1.8m - Translating reports into Irish (http://www.gaelport.com/sonrai-nuachta?NewsItemID=3264)
    €0.7m - Grants for Gaeltacht households (http://www.independent.ie/national-news/state-pays-8364700000-to-teach-irish-in-colleges-overseas-1713709.html)
    €0.8m - Irish promotion abroad (http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0419/irish.html)
    ______
    €3.3m

These ones are easily quantifyable. Others are not. E.g. many people (students, teachers, civil servants) have to spend many hours learning something that they will rarely use, time which could have been spent honing another skill that would add to the knowledge economy more substantially. I'm no economist, but I believe that that's called an Opportunity Cost. It seems to me that the pro-Irish people aren't that well versed in economics themselves, and believe that economics and culture are mutually exclusive domains.

Not to mention it is the pro-Irish side (a generalisation) who are bringing the figures to the discussion...
    We're alll 'pro-Irish', according to the statistics generated by the Irish language spending lobby.

The figures available are quite sparse because the OLA made no provision for cost control measures.

Some of us are concerned about unlimited, unbudgeted spending on Irish language services and some are not.

Let's agree to suspend the OLA until proper cost controls are put in place?

as to this:
    Sceim Labhairt na Gaeilge provides for a grant of €260 per household in the Gaeltacht where Irish is the normal spoken language.
    Why on earth are we paying these people? If we don't pay them, will they stop speaking Irish? Surely the knowledge that they've done their bit is enough reward?

We're alll 'pro-Irish', according to the statistics generated by the Irish language spending lobby.

The figures available are quite sparse because the OLA made no provision for cost control measures.

Some of us are concerned about unlimited, unbudgeted spending on Irish language services and some are not.

They're the only figures that I have to go on, and just because they don't agree with your view of the world doesn't mean they're not true.
    The costs are not unlimited as you imply. Your focus is on the translation of useless documents to Irish - at a fraction of the cost of the creation of the document, I'd prefere not to make half the stupid documents at all.
    Let's agree to suspend the OLA until proper cost controls are put in place?

Thats a wonderful notion, but even if everyone on boards agree's that we should have a new government, doesn't mean it's going to happen. I'm not a member of any party, so getting me to agree to anything is as useful as burning a monkey
    as to this:Why on earth are we paying these people? If we don't pay them, will they stop speaking Irish? Surely the knowledge that they've done their bit is enough reward?

I agree completely - on this point - now stop flip flopping around different arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

Ive just spent the last 4 days reading through these 39 pages!

Im not a fluent Irish speaker, though would love to be (same story, not enough time to dedicate to it)

110% agree that there needs to be major changes in the way Irish is taught in schools.

However, I would like to make a point in response to those who say that we could better spend our time in school learning another european language; German, French, Spanish, or what have you.
    The students in those countries speak their own language, French, German etc... and then study English. Which has already been pointed out, is a great advantage.

I can imagine that ill be slaughtered with "the two arent comparable" etc etc etc.
    But ive always felt, and had felt while i was in school, that Irish was *supposed* to be my first language, and as with French student or German student, I was learning english.

Although its not exactly that simple, thats basically my feelings on it. I dont see why we would need to scrap Irish in favour of another countries language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭optocynic

smur89 wrote: »
    Ive just spent the last 4 days reading through these 39 pages!

Im not a fluent Irish speaker, though would love to be (same story, not enough time to dedicate to it)

110% agree that there needs to be major changes in the way Irish is taught in schools.

However, I would like to make a point in response to those who say that we could better spend our time in school learning another european language; German, French, Spanish, or what have you.
    The students in those countries speak their own language, French, German etc... and then study English. Which has already been pointed out, is a great advantage.

I can imagine that ill be slaughtered with "the two arent comparable" etc etc etc.
    But ive always felt, and had felt while i was in school, that Irish was *supposed* to be my first language, and as with French student or German student, I was learning english.

Although its not exactly that simple, thats basically my feelings on it. I dont see why we would need to scrap Irish in favour of another countries language.

I don't think it should be scraped at all. Just made optional.
    If the schools need to have a compulsory language taught in their classes, why not something where it will be of benefit in later life, while dealing with another country/economy.

Like it or not, Irish is not our first language, but French is in France, German is in Germany.. etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

optocynic wrote: »
    I don't think it should be scraped at all. Just made optional.
    If the schools need to have a compulsory language taught in their classes, why not something where it will be of benefit in later life, while dealing with another country/economy.

Like it or not, Irish is not our first language, but French is in France, German is in Germany.. etc...

+ 1. Too much money and time and effort is wasted in this country on a language few people ever use once they leave school. I never saw anyone buying an Irish language paper or book in my life.

my point wasnt really about irish being my first language...

Just because you havent seen people buy irish books doesnt mean they arent, nor does it make the language dead. Ive read a few irish books since ive left school
    Ive never seen anyone buy a book written in sign language, but you can see it on the news every evening.

jimmmy wrote: »
    + 1. Too much money and time and effort is wasted in this country on a language few people ever use once they leave school. I never saw anyone buying an Irish language paper or book in my life.

Shall I ring you next time I am buying one!?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

@smur89, your feeling that Irish should be our native language I'm sure is held by many people who support the modern language revival, the problem is that it isn't.
    The fact that it isn't leads some people to want to reverse time and bring to nation back to when we all ( except for maybe the people that lived in Dublin ) spoke some form of Irish or another.
    The problem with this is that it is a romantic notion that has little or no practical benefit for anybody and certainly shouldn't be mandated by a state that hasn't got two cents to rub together.
    People point to the fact that the arts get government money, galleries, the film industry, even the horse racing industry gets some. I personally don't think that they should get any money from the government either.
    The difference with Irish and the underlying Irish language industry is that people are made to speak it in school whether they like it or not *as if* it is they're native language, please take you head out of the sand and listen to the hiberno - english that is spoken by 99.9% of irish people 99.9% of the time.
    Irish was once the language of ireland most people spoke like old english / german / french were once the languages most people spoke of they're namesake countries. People can and do learn these languages and that is great and fine. The government doesn't have to make silly laws mandating they're upkeep.

Just because you havent seen people buy irish books doesnt mean they arent,

I appreciate that, but I have never seen anyone buying an Irish language magazine or newspaper either. Despite the hundreds of millions the govt has pumped in to the language over the years. Do not get me wrong : I do not mind or care if you buy Irish language reading materials or not - just do not expect me as a taxpayer to support you, and if kids have to learn another language besides the one we all use everyday, I would prefer to see kids in school being able to speak some continental language by the time they leave school...

I appreciate that, but I have never seen anyone buying an Irish language magazine or newspaper either. Despite the hundreds of millions the govt has pumped in to the language over the years. Do not get me wrong : I do not mind or care if you buy Irish language reading materials or not - just do not expect me as a taxpayer to support you, and if kids have to learn another language besides the one we all use everyday, I would prefer to see kids in school being able to speak some continental language by the time they leave school...

This'll be my last post, as i never really intended to get involved in the debate!

That's your preference, I would consider irish more important to my kids (if/when i have them) than a continental language. Whereas i agree you/your kids should be able to choose between the two (or both). I still think it should be compulsary up to a certain stage, say Junior cert level or so.

Edit: i realise i kind of contradict myself in this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

my point wasnt really about irish being my first language...

Just because you havent seen people buy irish books doesnt mean they arent, nor does it make the language dead. Ive read a few irish books since ive left school
    Ive never seen anyone buy a book written in sign language, but you can see it on the news every evening.

Sign language is for people with special needs :confused:

Completely different, it is not economically beneficial to broadcast in sign language in many cases which is why such programming is usually on very late or only broadcast by the state broadcaster or as a requirement of broadcasting legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I never saw anyone buying an Irish language paper or book in my life.

That's amazing considering you seem to know someone in every walk of life, generally someone who is lazing about in the public sector making a mint but still it's a wonder that all these lazy public sector acquaintances of your's haven't taken out Foinse in front of you, you know just to rub the salt in.

nesf wrote: »
    That's amazing considering you seem to know someone in every walk of life,
    I do know a fair few people from neighbours to club mates to sporting colleagues to friends to old-school + college mates to business and work contacts etc ....but there are many people in the country who would know as many if not more people.

generally someone who is lazing about in the public sector making a mint

Nope. "generally" the people I know are definitely not "someone who is lazing about in the public sector making a mint "
    but still it's a wonder that all these lazy public sector acquaintances of your's haven't taken out Foinse in front of you, you know just to rub the salt in.

Must ask a few newsagents if they ever heard of Foinse, I can honestly say I never heard of Fenzy....are you sure you are not sending me in to a newsagent / bookshop to ask for a " bad word" in Irish ? :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Must ask a few newsagents if they ever heard of Foinse, I can honestly say I never heard of Fenzy....are you sure you are not sending me in to a newsagent / bookshop to ask for a " bad word" in Irish ? :D:D:D

As much as this may be Christmas come early for ya, but Foinse is gone! (Not surprising - it was far too boring for me :D)

Nós is struggling on though!

As much as this may be Christmas come early for ya, but Foinse is gone! (Not surprising - it was far too boring for me :D)
    Nós is struggling on though!
    Just read the story. This was a state funded Irish language newspaper that operated 'at a profit' up until last year. 'At a profit' that is, including the free money from the state.

The government money is still budgeted if someone else wants to publish an Irish-language paper, at taxpayer expense, (€6,800 an edition) that no-one reads.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I only think it should remain compulsory for people to learn it in school if it's going to be taught in an intelligent way. There's no point making people analyze poetry from the last century, regurgitating tracts that they don't know the meaning of. Despite this, we don't teach people how to conduct everyday life transactions through Irish. That's the real problem, and that's why the language is now dead. An Irish teacher once told me that efforts were made to teach Irish essentially the same was as french or german, and these are constantly resisted by people 'down in the Gaeltacht' as he put it.

It is particularly useless to translate large tracts of legislation that nobody is ever going to read into Irish. What they should do is try and rationalize all the online and paper forms people use to communicate with state, and then use software-like localization techniques. This would have the upshot of keeping the Irish available for the most part, and allowing us to cater to other languages, like we had to when dealing with Polish in a much cheaper way.

Red Alert wrote: »
    I only think it should remain compulsory for people to learn it in school
    Why not make it only compulsory for people whose ancestors used the speak the language?

I.e. about 90% of the population?

Aard wrote: »
    I.e. about 90% of the population?
    I think we set a baseline of say, the 16th century and see where that person's direct ancestors, say on the patrmonial line were at that time. If they were Irish speaking, then they're deemed to be candidates for the Irish language revival.

It's hardly fair to involve people in a Gaelic language revival if their ancestors were mixed language or never spoke Irish at all or if they voluntarily decided to speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Filthy mudbloods, the lot of ye!

I think we set a baseline of say, the 16th century and see where that person's direct ancestors, say on the patrmonial line were at that time. If they were Irish speaking, then they're deemed to be candidates for the Irish language revival.

It's hardly fair to involve people in a Gaelic language revival if their ancestors were mixed language or never spoke Irish at all or if they voluntarily decided to speak English.

... of course while we're at it we'd have to deport everyone who isn't :D

This from the 'Indo':

Irish Independent to distribute Foinse, Ireland ’s biggest Irish language newspaper

Foinse, Ireland’s biggest Irish language newspaper has today announced that it’s newly refreshed Foinse newspaper will be distributed free every Wednesday, starting 18 November with the Irish Independent, the largest selling national quality daily in Ireland.....The publication which has been out of circulation since June had a previous circulation of 4,500. The newly refreshed Foinse publication will employ five full time employees and also utilise a network of correspondents, contributors and services and is a wholly privately funded company.
    Does this mean that 'Foinse' is no longer subsidised by the taxpayer? Great news, if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Thirty grand to translate the document?

Who the **** transated it?
    Was it on gold paper?

Even if the council stopped pissing away money like this....they would inevitably piss it away on something else.

Advertisement