Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

footage won't play on tv dvd player

Options
  • 15-10-2009 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭

I made some footage on my digicam and saved it to the hard drive as .avi.
    It will play on the pc but not on my TV dvd player which says it is not authorised.

Do I have to convert the file or 'close' the dvd. How do you close a dvd, I do not see an option in imageburn in which i burned the file to dvd

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lazyboy1972

KC JONES wrote: »
    I made some footage on my digicam and saved it to the hard drive as .avi.
    It will play on the pc but not on my TV dvd player which says it is not authorised.

Do I have to convert the file or 'close' the dvd. How do you close a dvd, I do not see an option in imageburn in which i burned the file to dvd

Thanks for any help
    You need to covert your file from avi to another format (I reecomend mp3 format) conversion software can be downloaded free as a trial from the web, just google 'free file convertor'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

You need to covert your file from avi to another format (I reecomend mp3 format) conversion software can be downloaded free as a trial from the web, just google 'free file convertor'
    I got any video converter. Will mp3 play video? OK it came up as MP4. No that will not play on TV. Converting to mp3 as you suggested
    But i googled and learnt that an avi is video and mp3 is only sound. I need something to make the avi into a file that will play on tv from dvd player

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

yo dude, cinemaforge from download.cnet will convert your file.
    also sometimes its the type of dvdr u have. there is 2 main types. dvd-r and dvd+r. some makes wont play the - dvds.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

dude mp3 is an audio format.

to the OP, if your player normally plays avi's it could be the case the avi codec you are using it doesn't recognise or as you said the dvd may need to be finalised. try converting it using a divx codec.

falling that, some dvd burning software will convert the avi to mpeg2 and make it a proper dvd-movie.

decob wrote: »
    dude mp3 is an audio format.
    worked that out;) thanks
    to the OP, if your player normally plays avi's it could be the case the avi codec you are using it doesn't recognise or as you said the dvd may need to be finalised. try converting it using a divx codec.

falling that, some dvd burning software will convert the avi to mpeg2 and make it a proper dvd-movie.
    my player is:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/hardware/product/90657-Philips-DVP3100V--DVD_VCR-Player.html

as far as I know it does not play avi
    try converting it using a divx codec.
    any suggestions for converter

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

convertx to dvd,win avi converter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

mp22 wrote: »
    convertx to dvd,win avi converter

Seconded, works every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭The_Joker

Use FormatFactory it will convert everything to everything else, including your old gold to cash!

Thanks everyone. I managed to use any video converter to make an mpeg2 of it. I wil post back as soon as i try it on the tv via the dvd player

Yes it plays on TV now via my dvd player. Thanks guys, much appreciated

Ok when I converted another avi to an mpeg2 movie clip and burnt it to the same DVD-RW and put dvd in TV player it says disc error. i was expecting to get a menu of clips like i did when there was only one i.e there were numbers 2, 3 etc but they were empty.

But now disc error. shouldn't I be able to multi session different clips to the same RW dvd and have them give a menu on TV?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you look at the attached image you will see what a dvd looks like when opened with windows explorer, the film is contained in the vob files,as far as i know the bup and ifo files give the player the instructions needed to play the vob files.If you use convetx to dvd it will automatically make and insert these files and if you add multiple clips they will get there own ifo and bup files which will allow it to play allways

If you look at the attached image you will see what a dvd looks like when opened with windows explorer, the film is contained in the vob files,as far as i know the bup and ifo files give the player the instructions needed to play the vob files.If you use convetx to dvd it will automatically make and insert these files and if you add multiple clips they will get there own ifo and bup files which will allow it to play allways
    Thanks
    My problem is that when i burn only one to a dvd and play on tv i get a menu with the file in it. But when I have more than one mpeg2 on a dvd there isno menu and i cannot play anything. I get disc error. It is a 4.7 gig dvd and the mpeg files are only a couple hundred mb

by any chance are the mpeg2 files being given the same name or number when you burn them?

by any chance are the mpeg2 files being given the same name or number when you burn them?
    No

I can now do it with ashampoo burning software 2010, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

KC JONES wrote: »
    Thanks
    My problem is that when i burn only one to a dvd and play on tv i get a menu with the file in it. But when I have more than one mpeg2 on a dvd there isno menu and i cannot play anything. I get disc error. It is a 4.7 gig dvd and the mpeg files are only a couple hundred mb

what software are you using to burn the dvds with..? also are you burning the mpeg2 straight onto disk or is the burning software authoring them into a dvd-video disk..?

decob wrote: »
    what software are you using to burn the dvds with..?
    BurnAware free on a multi session setting
    also are you burning the mpeg2 straight onto disk or is the burning software authoring them into a dvd-video disk..?
    As far as I know it is straight to the DVD. I dont understand what you mean by
    is the burning software authoring them into a dvd-video disk..?

Thanks for the reply

Advertisement