Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started in motorcycling

Options
  • 15-10-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi every1
    Lead a hand if you think you can advise me on my prediciment!

Im 20 and for a while now its been my intention to get started in biking.
    Live in Kildare and go to college in dublin so it would be hardy for the speedy commutes.

Ive rode motorbikes before but i dont currently hold any licence for bikes, im a full licenced driver if that helps.

I have a 00 impreza that i would be willing to sell to get up and running.

So if you think you can guide me please do not hesitate, and assume i know nothin when advising me as i would'nt be far off..
    Thanks
    Scott... :cool::cool::cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pass the theory test, get a permit, buy a restricted bike/gear/locks and get insurance.

Any questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Pass the theory test, get a permit, buy a restricted bike/gear/locks and get insurance.

Any questions?

Couldn't be any simpler than what cuddlesworth said!! Except maybe throw in training/assesment too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm also looking to start biking soon (although I will be keeping my car).

My question is, would the bike owners on here consider a disc lock and an anchor enough to secure a bike? As it stands it may be my only option as I may not be able to get a bike into the back garden.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottbigbee

I have around 2 grand to spend on a bike, any suggestions on a good learners bike but one that will also hold its value as i would intend to upgrade as soon as i sort out full licence etc.?..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

dont forget ya still have to have the bike restricted for 2 years after ya pass the test

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Pedro K wrote: »
    I'm also looking to start biking soon (although I will be keeping my car).

My question is, would the bike owners on here consider a disc lock and an anchor enough to secure a bike? As it stands it may be my only option as I may not be able to get a bike into the back garden.

Thanks!

I only have a disc lock, but my bike is only ever left in the driveway (pretty nice area) or in a secure car park at work.

I have around 2 grand to spend on a bike, any suggestions on a good learners bike but one that will also hold its value as i would intend to upgrade as soon as i sort out full licence etc.?..

I think you should read a few starter threads around here because I don't think you have a good understanding of the costs and restrictions involved with buying a bike.

Like the following.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055707787

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

I think you should read a few starter threads around here because I don't think you have a good understanding of the costs and restrictions involved with buying a bike.

Like the following.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055707787

I'd echo Cuddlesworth's point.

Reckon a scan over the F & Qs and various other points would lead you to realise that it might be better to buy a bike that'll do you for a while after you pass your test.

it's 2 years after you get your full licence before you can upgrade to a powerful bike but even within these limits theres a fair bit of scope for the sort of bike you can get.

If you are still thinkin of spending €2000 on a bike to do you till after the test (which I'd image could end up being a 12 to 18 month period, depending on how you do it) may be a Honda Cb250 or something?

Or get a copy of Bike Buyers Guide and in the back look at all the bikes that have an engine size of circa 250cc-400cc (as a general rule of thumb) or bikes with larger engines but with restrictor kits.

The same brands and makes that are 'learner friendly' will quickly become apparent and will give you an idea of costs.

While there's a bit of variation in resale value by make, bigger issues are the state of the bike, milage, and market conditions.

I'd imagine €2000 is going to give you quite a limited selection. You may not have the luxury of basing your final decision on considerations such as resale value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 tpedoussaut

Don't forget that there is the law about restriction, and there is also the reality of insurance. 20yo and no no-claim bonus, no insurance will touch you on a "restricted" R6.
    So head for a 250-400cc bike for at least 3 years (1 year prov, and the 2 years after) and spare money for when you can afford to insure a R1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

^+1, get quotes for different size bikes on quinn.ie, they tend to be the cheapest for young people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Training, Training, Training. Dont just do what is necessary to pass the test, it wont save your life. Do some advanced training too. The gardai do a course, Bike2Bike do great course and there is also ROSPA.

Kit yourself out in full protective gear. Helmet, decent jacket, boots, gloves, trousers. Accidents can happen in all kinds of weather so dont fall into the trap of not wearing your boots for example because its a sunny day.

Ive done that route in rush hour traffic on my bike on many occasions. When the weather is awful, its not a pleasant spin. Im not trying to sound like your aul fella with my post. Just make sure that if you are deciding to sell your car that you are 100% prepared for the journey rail, hail or shine.

Just as a suggestion, i would recommend getting fog lights fitted to your bike if you are doing that route too. A day of bad rain has the same effect as fog and bikers can be completely invisible even when your lights are on. Plus its an awful road for tailgaters.

Sorry for my aul lad post. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Do your theory test for A first, then do some lessons before you think of selling your car.
    Check cost of insurance on different bikes,, sporty bikes are very expensive on insurance for starters.
    What part of kildare are you in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottbigbee

Do your theory test for A first, then do some lessons before you think of selling your car.
    Check cost of insurance on different bikes,, sporty bikes are very expensive on insurance for starters.
    What part of kildare are you in ?

Clane, open to all suggestions.
    appreciate all comments,its not really my intention to buy a bike until march/april tbh, dont wanna risk the added inconvenience of weather among all other factors.
    Would it make sense to buy a more powerful, yet restricted bike?.
    forgot to mention insurance isn't an issue as it'll be a company insured vechicle..
    Set budget of 4 maybe 5000e to include; bike, tax and all associated gear i.e. helmet,jacket etc...
    Cheers again..

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Clane, open to all suggestions.
    appreciate all comments,its not really my intention to buy a bike until march/april tbh, dont wanna risk the added inconvenience of weather among all other factors.
    Would it make sense to buy a more powerful, yet restricted bike?.
    forgot to mention insurance isn't an issue as it'll be a company insured vechicle..
    Set budget of 4 maybe 5000e to include; bike, tax and all associated gear i.e. helmet,jacket etc...
    Cheers again..

Yeah €5k sounds about right.

Reckon your right to be getting a bigger restricted bike alight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I recently just got started on bikes myself.
    Actually, that thread Cuddlesworth linked was started by me, hehe!

5k is about right, thats actually what my budget was.

I got my learner permit for an A licence.
    I went bike shopping, i looked both private, in the UK and from Irish dealers.

From what i can see on the net the UK works out a hell of a lot cheaper for buying a bike. For me that wasnt an option as i just have no time to be going over to check out bikes.

If you do have the time and arnt buying till next year then you should look into that as an option.

Dealers here were kinda expensive but i guess thats because you get a warranty.

If you go private just make sure and get the bike checked out by someone who knows bikes and you trust.
    I had in total 4 bikes checked out, 2 of them were in the condition as advertised at all but i wouldnt of spotted the problems myself.

One i just decided i didnt like enough to buy.
    I ended up buying the last one to get checked out.

My budget breakdown came in something like this:

Bike: €2000
    Gear: €800 (Some people say thats low, others say its high)
    Insurance: €1000
    Lessons: €400 (4x 2 hour lessons with a qualified instructor)
    Getting the bikes checked out: €120

Im left with about €700 of my budget now.

I still have to get a bike cover and a lock for the bike.
    Im also sure i will have forgotten a few things i may want/need so i will be keeping the rest of the budget handy instead of just spending it.

The budget will of course break down differently for everyone but i just wanted to give you an idea of costs.

EDIT. If anyone can recommend some lock that would be cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

goodlad wrote: »
    I recently just got started on bikes myself.
    Actually, that thread Cuddlesworth linked was started by me, hehe!

5k is about right, thats actually what my budget was.

I got my learner permit for an A licence.
    I went bike shopping, i looked both private, in the UK and from Irish dealers.

From what i can see on the net the UK works out a hell of a lot cheaper for buying a bike. For me that wasnt an option as i just have no time to be going over to check out bikes.

If you do have the time and arnt buying till next year then you should look into that as an option.

Dealers here were kinda expensive but i guess thats because you get a warranty.

If you go private just make sure and get the bike checked out by someone who knows bikes and you trust.
    I had in total 4 bikes checked out, 2 of them were in the condition as advertised at all but i wouldnt of spotted the problems myself.

One i just decided i didnt like enough to buy.
    I ended up buying the last one to get checked out.

My budget breakdown came in something like this:

Bike: €2000
    Gear: €800 (Some people say thats low, others say its high)
    Insurance: €1000
    Lessons: €400 (4x 2 hour lessons with a qualified instructor)
    Getting the bikes checked out: €120

Im left with about €700 of my budget now.

I still have to get a bike cover and a lock for the bike.
    Im also sure i will have forgotten a few things i may want/need so i will be keeping the rest of the budget handy instead of just spending it.

The budget will of course break down differently for everyone but i just wanted to give you an idea of costs.

EDIT. If anyone can recommend some lock that would be cool :D

What bike did you get in the end goodlad?

Almax lock and chain are highly recommended, but that comes at a price. Check here for their online store.

Cheers for the links, i will take a look in a few mins.

Im going to be getting a steal thingy stuck into the ground out my back garden next year and i will be locking the bike to that. Yes im paranoid! hehe!

So for now its just a good quality chain and lock im after.

I agreed to buy a bandit 600s from reverandkenjami.
    Its the one that was linked on my thread about picking a bike.

Once the restriction is sorted it will be mine! :D

Almax chain + Stronghold lock. Well worth the money.

I think i will order em.Gonna go with a 2 meter one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

getting started:

donno how much insurance will be for a 20 year old buti never got any training you can get a lid for 150 gloves trousers and jacket will be achievable for 250 and boots for 80 get a back protector too cos about 100

1200 will get you a grand bike these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Hi Folks

New here so hope you don't mind me barging in but!

Anyone thinking of getting on a bike should not leave it long as Compulsory Basic Training is due to introduced in November which will mean adding another €500-€800 onto your costs.:eek:

This is a 16 hour training course that must be signed off by a qualified instructor before you are able to get on the road by yourself. Anyone without a learner permit for category M, A1 or A will have to do this once it is implemented.
    Get the licence now and you won't need to do it but I still recommend training.

Roadskill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think i will order em.Gonna go with a 2 meter one.

I'm told they're extremely heavy - might be worthwhile getting 2x 1m ones - one to keep at home, and one for college

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cheers for the links, i will take a look in a few mins.

Im going to be getting a steal thingy stuck into the ground out my back garden next year and i will be locking the bike to that. Yes im paranoid! hehe!

So for now its just a good quality chain and lock im after.

I agreed to buy a bandit 600s from reverandkenjami.
    Its the one that was linked on my thread about picking a bike.

Once the restriction is sorted it will be mine! :D

Well wear!

Roadskill wrote: »
    Hi Folks

New here so hope you don't mind me barging in but!

Anyone thinking of getting on a bike should not leave it long as Compulsory Basic Training is due to introduced in November which will mean adding another €500-€800 onto your costs.:eek:

This is a 16 hour training course that must be signed off by a qualified instructor before you are able to get on the road by yourself. Anyone without a learner permit for category M, A1 or A will have to do this once it is implemented.
    Get the licence now and you won't need to do it but I still recommend training.

Roadskill.

Have you got a link to this. I had heard rumours but nothing concrete.

Have you got a link to this. I had heard rumours but nothing concrete.

Legislation is due to be signed in on 1st November but that may change. We have been told that it is almost gauranteed to be in before Christmas. The only link we have at the moment is to the original consultation document from 2007 but many instructors including us completed a pilot scheme from Jan to March this year.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/Compulsory_Basic_Training_Motorcyclists_.pdf

Roadskill

Legislation is due to be signed in on 1st November but that may change. We have been told that it is almost gauranteed to be in before Christmas. The only link we have at the moment is to the original consultation document from 2007 but many instructors including us completed a pilot scheme from Jan to March this year.

http://www.rsa.ie/SERVICES/upload/File/ADI%20FORMS/Compulsory_Basic_Training_Motorcyclists_.pdf

Roadskill

The only way I could see this being applied or enforced is with the renewal of new permits rather then restrictions being placed on current ones.

My problem is I have already spent a fortune on training, I don't like the idea of having to do it again.

The only way I could see this being applied or enforced is with the renewal of new permits rather then restrictions being placed on current ones.

My problem is I have already spent a fortune on training, I don't like the idea of having to do it again.

You won't have to do it if you have a current permit. Anyone who has one prior to inception will not need CBT.
    When it comes in to effect the stages will be like this. (new permits only)
    1. Theory Test as normal.
    2. Get a restricted permit for use only when accompanied by a CBT instructor.
    3. Do the CBT course.
    4. Get signed off by instructor with a legal document.
    5. Now you can ride alone on the permit.

The licence system is being changed to allow an approved CBT instructor to sign off the trainee as competent.
    Also you will not be able to get insurance without proof of completing CBT.

Any other questions please ask

Roadskill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

You won't have to do it if you have a current permit. Anyone who has one prior to inception will not need CBT.
    When it comes in to effect the stages will be like this. (new permits only)
    1. Theory Test as normal.
    2. Get a restricted permit for use only when accompanied by a CBT instructor.
    3. Do the CBT course.
    4. Get signed off by instructor with a legal document.
    5. Now you can ride alone on the permit.

The licence system is being changed to allow an approved CBT instructor to sign off the trainee as competent.
    Also you will not be able to get insurance without proof of completing CBT.

Any other questions please ask

Roadskill

Does this apply to cars as well as bikes?

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Does this apply to cars as well as bikes?

No but the RSA want to bring in something for cars next spring.

Roadskill

• Advertisement

Can you break down what is involved in the 16 hours of training? Is it geared towards passing your test or is it more in line with a AON assessment which actually teaches proper road awareness and useful driving skills.

Advertisement