Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started in motorcycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Roadskill wrote: »
    Any other questions please ask

Roadskill

How much will the CBT course cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Any other questions please ask

Roadskill[/QUOTE]

will i save money if my buddy and I do it together, the CBT that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Module 1 (3 Hrs):

CBT Syllabus as follows
    • Motorcycle Equipment
    • Motorcycles and their controls
    • Basic Technical Checks
    • Taking Machine on and off the stand
    • Basic Safety Checks (POWER)
    • Moving the Machine without aid of engine
    • Precautions before starting (FIGS)
    • Starting and stopping the engine
    Module 2 (5 Hrs):

• Stopping the machine (Theory)
    • Moving off & Stopping in controlled fashion
    • Ride in a straight line
    • Correct use of brakes (all scenarios)
    • Gears selecting and changing
    • Rear Observation
    • Junctions Left and Right using the Observation-Signal-Manoeuvre (OSM) and Position Speed-Look (PSL) routines
    • Emergency stopping under full control
    • Slalom
    • U Turn manoeuvre
    • Figure of eight
    • Slow Riding under control
    • Explanation and Application of the Motorcycle System (OSPSL)
    Module 3 (2Hrs):
    • Legal Requirements for riding on the road
    • Importance of knowing the Rules of the Road
    • Visibility - "Be Seen"
    • Road Positioning
    • Rear Observation at appropriate times
    • Road surfaces and Traffic Conditions
    • Progress – Fast/Slow
    • Hazard perception and anticipation
    Module 4 (6 hrs):

The application of Module 3 (in practice) whilst on a public road
    • Dealing with Junctions
    • Dealing with Roundabouts
    • Dealing with Traffic controls
    • Dealing with Hills (incline & decline)
    • Dealing with Hazards and Obstructions
    The aim is to make all new riders competent and less of a hazard to themselves and others on the road. When the full licence test is applied for only a few pre-test lessons should be required.

As for the cost this wil be determind by the individual training school
    The classroom modules can have up to 12 people at a time but the compound and on road training is limited to 2:1 ratio

Roadskill

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the info. Just a fair warning though, at the point you start advertising your business for profit on this site is when you cross the line into advertising. And the site owners like to be paid for advertising.

Thanks for the info. Just a fair warning though, at the point you start advertising your business for profit on this site is when you cross the line into advertising. And the site owners like to be paid for advertising.

I was just answering a question but I have removed any pricing.

Roadskill

• Advertisement

Ah come on, he is only answering a few questions. You asked him for the details and I asked for a price, if there was a problem a mod could have dealt with it. :confused:

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Ah come on, he is only answering a few questions. You asked him for the details and I asked for a price, if there was a problem a mod could have dealt with it. :confused:

Then Pm him. I'd like him not to be banned as he is supplying good information.

Then Pm him. I'd like him not to be banned as he is supplying good information.

Its the back seat moding I have a problem with ;)

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Its the back seat moding I have a problem with ;)

Then report it.

Ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

poor chap only answering what he was asked. If your not allowed answer questions then the whole lot of us should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Let's leave the modding to the mods, thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Kids please try to play nice.

Lets just say I will answer any questions the best I can without purposely advertising.
    If I mention my web site at any time it will be because the info someone requires is on there and relevant to the question.

The mods can let me know if that is ok. ;)
    Roadskill

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fine with me

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

@ roadskill if i have held a bike liscence before and i have let it lapse a few years(more than 5 years),,do i need to do the cbt test ???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

@ roadskill if i have held a bike liscence before and i have let it lapse a few years(more than 5 years),,do i need to do the cbt test ???

Second bullet point here under 'How to Apply' seems to imply you can, as long as its not lapsed over 10 years

Hi HB

Wossack is correct but 10 years is for a full licence. After 10 years you would have to take your test again. If you only held a provisional then after 5 years you will have to do the theory test again to get it back. If CBT is in by the time you apply then yes you will have to do it.

Roadskill

ha ha ha gerry. Some kick in the stones. Ill buy your bikes off ya if ya need to do the cbt

haha im alright seany im glad i got my liscence when i did:),,i was just asking on behalf for a mate who hasnt held a liscence(bike) since the late 90tys early 00tys and he was planning on going legit on bikes again next year,,it looks like an xtra spanner in the works of his plans,,he didnt mind so much having to do the theory test again for a bike but when i was telling him about this new cbt 16 hour of training he was like what next:mad:

• Advertisement

can i buy the viffer off ya anyways?

haha ya havent a hope im not selling her seany well not yet :),,il keep her a wile yet before il upgrade to someting bigger(when i pass me test),,, can get u another 1 in the money if u want streetfightered needs lil engine work send me a txt and il send on the number and info ;)

@ roadskill again or anyone else who is in the know,,is it still the deal in ireland that if you have a car liscence your outomaticly entitled to having the M liscence(scooter) aswell or has it all changed again ? cheers lads :)

@ roadskill again or anyone else who is in the know,,is it still the deal in ireland that if you have a car liscence your outomaticly entitled to having the M liscence(scooter) aswell or has it all changed again ? cheers lads :)

If your full B licence is after 2004 then them M catagory will not be on it anymore. The M, A1 & A are all on the seperate motorcycle theory test.

Roadskill

haha ya havent a hope im not selling her seany well not yet :),,il keep her a wile yet before il upgrade to someting bigger(when i pass me test),,, can get u another 1 in the money if u want streetfightered needs lil engine work send me a txt and il send on the number and info ;)
    Hmm sounds interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Hi Folks.

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but It's more appropriate than starting a new thread I guess!

As earlier stated in this thread, I'm looking at getting into motorcycling.

I had a claim in 2007 for a car accident.

Does/Will this affect my bike insurance? Does the potential future insurer of my (future) bike need to know about this?

Thanks again guys!

Pedro K wrote: »
    Hi Folks.

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but It's more appropriate than starting a new thread I guess!

As earlier stated in this thread, I'm looking at getting into motorcycling.

I had a claim in 2007 for a car accident.

Does/Will this affect my bike insurance? Does the potential future insurer of my (future) bike need to know about this?

Thanks again guys!

Yes, you have to inform them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Yes, you have to inform them.
    Cool thanks, do you know if it would have much bearing on the motorcycle quote?

Advertisement