Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gentlemens Clubs

• 15-10-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭

Just found out that the Club of the Club Orange soft drink comes from the name of the Co. Kildare Gentlemans Club. I thought that was interesting, interesting enough for me to look up a few other Gentlemens Clubs to see who and what is out there and how they compare to ours. So, starting with then Co. Kildare Gentlemans Club I did a bit of a search on the interwebthingy and decided to see where the winds of fate led me. Straight to listings for Lapdancing clubs. Is this what Gentlemens Clubs have been reduced to? Is there a real proper gentlemans club still in existance in the country? And if so what do they do there?
    Insights and pointers appricated while I do a little research on the lapdancing clubs...purly in the interest of Gentlemen you understand. :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I think the whole oldschool 'Gentlemans Club' was both renamed and rebranded so as to escape the connotations of the strip joint.

The names escape me, but there's some slightly more modernised 'houses' around Dublin with bars, dining areas and the like for members only. One on Stephens Green, I think one around Georges St and one around one of the other greens in South Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Wasn't the one on Stephens Green called "The Grey Door" or was that an eatery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

There are still a few of the old style Gentlemen's Clubs knocking around but are not aptly named given that women are now entitled to full membership (this as a result of a sleight of hand by the government who linked liquor license renewal to equality of membership a few years ago).
    The most notable ones are on the north side of St. Stephen's green namely, The Kildare Street & University Club and St' Stephen's Green club - but there are many other smaller ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

are the smoking clubs the same thing?
    my understanding of a gentlemans club is somewhere men go to chill out and network with a library, a small bar mostly with whiskey and brandy, a snooker table, a sauna and steam room and massage room(legit, no happy ending).
    and you have to have money and know somebody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

The whole linking of the term gentlemens club with lap/pole dancing came from the states. The term was used to try and make strip joints a bit more upmarket, and not the usual sawdust and spit type places that you get dotted over the place. The name kinda stuck then.

If we were to talk about a gentlemans club in many parts of the states, or to a lot of americans, the first thing they'd think of would be strippers :eek:

Used to a lot more of the proper style Gentlemans Clubs around Dublin, but they fell out of fashion over time. The idea kinda morphed into the idea of memberships in places like Lillys Bordello etc, and VIP/velvet rope type areas in many other clubs.

I remember reading some articles about this kind of thing not too long ago. TBH it's something I'd love to own and run, never mind be a member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I think smoking clubs are still run under the current smoking health & safety rules so that the smoking area has to be open. I frequent a club that has a decent smoking room, a heated top floor with a retractable roof. Very nice.

Gentlemens clubs from an earlier time were really gambling dens but these settled into something a little more refined as gents who worked in the city would relax midweek before returning to the country pile and the family for the weekend.

When I've done a more reading around the topic I'll post a summary.

Meanwhile we are financing Mr. Phillias Fogg to attempt to circumvent the World in 80 days or less and we are sending Lord Greystoke to Africa to search for the hidden lands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

The idea kinda morphed into the idea of memberships in places like Lillys Bordello etc, and VIP/velvet rope type areas in many other clubs.

Not sure if the likes of Lillys was trying to attract the same type of clientele as traditional clubs - the former being filled with people who wanted to be seeing there and be noticed.

Residence on the west of Stephen's Green in Dublin is a modern twist on the gentleman's club offering a refuge from the hustle and bustle and all the catering and meeting facilites. Difference with old style clubs is that there is no real strict entry criteria once you are willing to pay the cash, and the ability to overtly conduct business is encouraged (traditional clubs are much more subtle ;))

Advertisement