Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does the tax payer pay for berties promotion of his book ?

Options
  • 15-10-2009 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Bertie was in Cork today signing copies of his book. parked outside was his merc and driver. Is this his state car ? parked in a bus stop by the way...and are we paying for him to be driven around to his personal functions ?
    pic attached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

We pay for everything our politicans do - one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Surely, surely, he and those that advise him, wouldnt be as stupid as to leave themselves option to these kind of accusations.........especially after all that has happened recently.

If he is using state cars and resources in this mindless whoring of his book (and yesterday I believe he MAY have missed the NAMA vote due to his numerous radio show slots) then he should be removed from office.
    What a cowboy, if this is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i think that as an ex taoiseach he is entitled to have a state car til the day he dies
    im open to correction on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

i think that as an ex taoiseach he is entitled to have a state car til the day he dies
    im open to correction on this

You are correct - what galls me though is the fact that he wasn't working. If I want a day off I have to take it as a holiday, as the Dail has set holidays, they should be his day's off - the rest of the time he should be at work like the rest of us. Brian Cowen at the galway races on a work day - get the fcuk back to the Dail and don't come out until christmas you lazy work shy fcukers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

probably claimed his attendance allowance as well, probably

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

It's worse than the OP said; I've raised this elsewhere - he's not only "not working" while promoting this book (while we're probably paying him his wages) he said on The Late Late that he wrote it while he was laid up at home with his broken leg (while we were probably paying his wages - can't see Ahern getting the statutory 3 days and then getting social welfare) while most of us would have had to get to work on crutches - even on the bus or bike, since we'd have no state car.

It's an out-and-out joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭corkthai

just heard that his car was egged on the street..someone is angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

corkthai wrote: »
    just heard that his car was egged on the street..someone is angry.

Not an approach I could agree with, but it's perfectly understandable, given that

a) we're paying for the car
    b) we're paying him
    c) he should be in work

I suppose he can count himself lucky that it's only the car that was egged; I mean, he's been so keen to avoid having "egg on his face".

All that said, you'll always have a few scobes around who'd egg a merc, so there's a small chance that it was just that.

Unfortunately, the cleaning bill will probably be like John O'Donoghue's expenses - landed on us even though he wasn't on "official business".

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

probably claimed his attendance allowance as well, probably

Hopefully some journo, a la Ken Foxe, will request these under FOI

Advertisement