Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems connecting to a remote SQL server

Options
  • 15-10-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

I am having a problem connect to a remote SQL server. I have two XP machines using the same network connection to get on to the network at work via a hub, running a program that accesses a SQL 2005 DB via an odbc source on one of the servers.

On one machine this morning, I started getting an error attempting to run the program and it was because it could not connect to the SQL Database. I can see the server and access it through explorer from both machines, but one of them cannot connect to the SQL database, I get the following error:
    an error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. when connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections

The remote SQL Server I am trying to connect to is already configured to allow remote connections, and I can connect using my other PC.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

did you try knowledge base article?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

ya, the remote machine is configured to allow remote connections. I have two work PCs and one of them can't connect to it, the other can connect fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

maybe try wireshark and see what's happening over the network or see your ODBC settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thanks for your help Martyr, it turned out to be something stupid the SQL Server Browser was disabled on the remote server for some reason.

Starting it solved the problem.

Advertisement