Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Abooo Festival

Options
  • 15-10-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

This is planned for the weekend of October 31st (proper Halloween!), the weekend after the bank holiday.

Link to aticle.

Galway to go ghoulish for city’s Abooo Festival
    Galway Advertiser, October 15, 2009.
    Huge re-enactment of Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance routine and video to take place

Latin Quarter chairman Ronnie Greaney pictured with the Frankensteins from Earwig Arts in St Nicholas Collegiate Church announcing the Galway Abooo festival which is to be held the Latin Quarter of Galway over Hallowe'en weekend. Photo: Reg Gordon
    By Kernan Andrews

Ghosts, zombies, vampires, demons, Michael Jackson, and all kinds of other strange beings will be taking to the streets of Galway’s ‘Latin Quarter’ on Friday October 30 and Saturday 31 for the city’s first Galway Abooo Hallowe’en Festival.

For Hallowe’en, Galway’s city streets will be taken over by fancy dress parties, traditional games, Trick or Treating, and a huge re-enactment of Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance routine and video.

On Friday 30, The Big Fancy Dress Party takes place throughout the ‘Latin Quarter’, an area which covers St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church, O’Brien’s Bridge, the Spanish Arch area, Middle Street, Buttermilk Lane and Walk, St Augustine Street, High Street, and Quay Street.

On that night, every café, restaurant, and bar will be operating a fancy dress code so let your imagination go wild and don whatever ghoulish gear, creepy clobber, or freaky fashion you can think of. Whoever makes the biggest effort is in with a chance of winning €5,000. Listen to iRadio for more updates.

Saturday 31 will see a whole host of events taking place. First up is The Big ‘Little’ Fancy Dress Party at 2pm in the Galway City Museum. This is a fancy dress party for children where they have to make an environmentally friendly costume.

From 3pm throughout the ‘Latin Quarter’ streets, Galwegians will be able to Pick up Trick or Treat bags for a street-wide trick or treat. Dotted through The Latin Quarter will be loads of Trick or Treat stands where you can come and collect goodies. The streets will also hosting traditional Hallowe’en Party Games for children of all ages to enjoy.

Then at 4pm comes the big event of the weekend - a huge re-enactment of Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance routine and video in The Fishmarket at the Spanish Arch. All are welcome to take part and iRadio will lead participants in the dance. See www.iradio.ie for more information on the dance moves. Only two things left to say: Shamone! He Heeeee!

The Galway Abooo Festival reaches its finale with the Saturday Night Spooktacular Street Show. The medieval streets will once again be the stage for street performances across the ‘Latin Quarter’ from 8pm. Then at 8.40pm it’s off to St Nicholas’ where all of the performers will join together for one magical show.

All events are free. Irish Rail will be running ‘Ghost Trains’ at a special rate of €10e/w on selected trains from Dublin. See www.irishrail.ie for details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Warty Nora and Knacker dwarf are gonna have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Thriller dance routine? This i gotta see...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's close to midnight and something evil's lurking in the square
    Under the moonlight, you see a sight that almost stops your heart
    You try to scream but KD takes the wallet before you make it
    You start to freeze as horror looks you right between the eyes
    You're paralyzed

'Cause this is bucky, bucky night
    And no one's gonna save you from the rain about to fall
    You know it's bucky, bucky night
    You're fighting for your life inside a sucky, bucky night

You hear the door slam and realize there's nowhere left to run
    You leave the dole queue and wonder if you'll ever see a job
    You close your eyes and hope that this is just imagination, girl!
    But all the while you hear warty Nora creeping up behind
    You're out of time

'Cause this is bucky, bucky night.
    There ain't no second chance against the thing with forty warts, girl
    Bucky, bucky night.
    You're fighting for your life inside a sucky, bucky night

Night creatures calling, the dead start to walk in their masquerade
    There's no escaping the paws of KD this time
    (They're open wide)
    This is the end of your life

They're out to get you, there's demons closing in on every side
    They will possess you unless you change that number on your dial
    Now is the time for you and I to cuddle close together, yeah
    All through the night I'll save you from the terror on the square
    I'll make you see

That this is bucky, bucky night.
    'Cause I can thrill you more than any ghost would ever dare try
    Bucky, bucky night.
    So let me hold you tight and share a
    sucky, mucky, bottle of bucky, here tonight

'Cause this is thriller, thriller night
    Girl, I can thrill you more than any ghost would ever dare try
    Thriller, thriller night
    [FONT=&quot]So let me hold you tight and share a bottle of bucky, ow![/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The Theatre Festival AND the Comedy Festival (both look like they have cool stuff) are BOTH happening next week..No idea why that is, at least Abooo is the following week...sure we'll have nathin' to do in November except shiver and drink!

Advertisement