Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone used glass bricks in a wall?

• 15-10-2009 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

There's one room in our house that is very dark, i.e. the light has to be on most of the day due to windows that are too small (thanks Mr. Architect :rolleyes:) and tall trees outside the windows that further restrict natural daylight. I had considered velux windows but I don't think they'll let in enough light to the room in question.

I was in a house recently and they had glass bricks in a wall between their kitchen and a dining room (that was at the back of the house but after extending out back, this room is now in the centre of the house and away from natural light). The glass bricks appeared to let a lot of light into the dining room and might be an option for me as my south facing sitting room gets a lot of light and its the wall between my sitting room and the "dark" room that I'm thinking about putting the glass bricks in and thus letting some light through. It'd mean knocking a large hole through a 4inch brick wall and so I presume a lintel would be required.

Has anyone used these glass bricks before and how much money would a job like this cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭Trekker09

I was looking to buy glass blocks for a garden project during the summer. B&Q have them at a good price and they can advise on suitability of purpose and on fitting them. It would be worth ringing round a few different builders providers and trying to barter with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I used them internally & externally. Check out Youtube for afew installation videos.

Used them as a shower screen, with vertical & horizontal aluminium reinforcing plates, giving a 5mm joint which was filled with mastic. Quite easy to do.

Used them externally in a window, installed with stainless steel reinforcing bars by a Blocklayer. Can be abit messy but very important to use appropiate External glass block cement! PM for details.

OP will need a lintol to support brick wall over ope. The size of the ope will need to be accurately set out to glass block dimensions - 5mm or 10mm joint.

Glass block are very good for light. There are many on the market, each installed slightly differently depending on Manufacturer.
    B&Q are very competitively priced and as good as any others I've used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

RKQ,

Did you install them yourself? In my case, it'll mean knocking a large hole through a 4 inch block wall so it will be a big enough job - is it a DIY or builder??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

ProsperousDave,
    It depends on the individuals DIY skill.
    If you want to install glass blocks with a 10mm mortar joint, then I suggest you hire a Brick-layer who will be used to nice even joints and good quality pointing.

You can buy plastic spacers for the Blocks. (If you spend time it can be done DIY but it requires skill IMO)

In your case you'll need to Acro prop ceiling, to install the lintol over the new ope etc.
    This also takes experience and skill - might be best left to a professional, depending on your DIY skills.

Using a system with a 5mm mastic joint is a DIY job IMO. Neither system is structural or load bearing - so you'll need to install a lintol to support your brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭BROWNE51

To answer the cost question,they can cost,anything up to €200 a square meter including all the required fitting accessories,for the basic clear wavy block(clear flemish).Great for light penetration though...approx 80% the manufacturers say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

BROWNE51 wrote: »
    To answer the cost question,they can cost,anything up to €200 a square meter including all the required fitting accessories,for the basic clear wavy block(clear flemish).Great for light penetration though...approx 80% the manufacturers say.

For info, given the age of the thread.

Mac's Salvage down in Islandbridge has pallets of good quality 190x190 glass blocks in different colours (clear, blue, red, green iirc) going for 2.50 each. A bargain in other words.

As far as I know, they've all got horizontal lines set 90 degree apart on front/back face (good if you want greater levels of image distortion when looking through the wall)

They've also go stacks of top quality engineered doors in varying sizes/finishes that looks like a job lot from a project gone south. 50 a pop iirc.

Advertisement