Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick port for supertankers!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

That train line hasnt been used in a good few years, sure you can see the grass frowing up all along it.
    If they do get around to building a superport, im sure they will upgrade the transport links to it, otherwise it would have been a waste of time as know one would use it if they couldnt get their goods from the port to toher places

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

niallers1 wrote: »

Maybe or maybe its more bulls**t from limericks most prolific spoofer The Limerick Post..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Supertanker port AND a monorail - we're all going to be rich! Rich i tell's you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

langdang wrote: »
    Supertanker port AND a monorail - we're all going to be rich! Rich i tell's you!

Why would Supertankers want to berth on a small Island like Ireland with a tiny domestic Market, located as it is a stones throw sail from Mainland Europe without any realistically viable Mass Transport links onwards to their actual destination Markets?

Tax breaks surely doesn't cut it here?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Why would Supertankers want to berth on a small Island like Ireland with a tiny domestic Market, located as it is a stones throw sail from Mainland Europe without any realistically viable Mass Transport links onwards to their actual destination Markets?

They would not is the simple answer. But the local media like to try and make out that Limerick is constantly on the cusp of being the biggest and best at something without anything actually ever coming of it, much like how the national media like to try and make out that Ireland is the gateway to Europe for all the biggest companies on the planet and that they all want to be based in Ireland as it is in the heart of Europe, despite the fact it is at the most western point of Europe and has no direct transport links in the manner that the UK has with the Chunnel or like how the rest of Europe can use the road systems to transport goods.

For some reason Irish/Limerick media seems to think that companies will want to ship their goods meant for mainland Europe to the Shannon estuary, so that they can be taken by rail or truck to the other side of Ireland to be put onto another ship to mainland Europe, rather than the companies bringing their ships directly to a port in mainland europe and using the road networks with the delay of having to use Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Kess73 wrote: »
    no direct transport links in the manner that the UK has with the Chunnel or like how the rest of Europe can use the road systems to transport goods.
    No one is listening - a FRICKING GIANT MONORAIL!! All the way to Rotterdam from Foynes. Filthy rich FILTHY FRICKING RICH!!;)

langdang wrote: »
    No one is listening - a FRICKING GIANT MONORAIL!! All the way to Rotterdam from Foynes. Filthy rich FILTHY FRICKING RICH!!;)

No no no the Monorail will go from Foynes to New York. Just think....a transatlantic Monorail. It just can't fail. :D Plus it will be worth at least 10 million euro to the local economy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The mods would want to get their fingers out and stop all this bumping of zombie threads. It's very annoying having to wade through threads that are months out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Daily Fail material.

Last thing one would want is super tankers near the shannon, if one blew up it would take out Ennis, Shannon and Limerick in one swipe. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Daily Fail material.

Last thing one would want is super tankers near the shannon, if one blew up it would take out Ennis, Shannon and Limerick in one swipe. :eek:

2 out of 3 ain't bad

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

One word transshipment. You off load on the periphery of a large market and head off again for a fill. Most ports in Europe can't accommodate these ships so on paper it makes a lot of sense. The same goes for containers. In practice, there's still a good bit of development potential for Continental ports.

The local impact economic argument is actually pretty weak IMHO. It will require huge tracks of land to accommodate enormous storage tanks and vast concrete covered container yards. These are highly automated industries and so labour will be minimal in relation to the scale of the site. There is a huge oil terminal in the Shetland's called Sullom Voe, but then of course we've all heard of it and the fabulous wealth the Shetlanders enjoy...

The other Irish place that tried this was Bantry and they still remember the Betelgeuse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Daily Fail material.

Daily Fail is right.

Err, no it wouldn't...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Daily Fail material.

:rolleyes:
    ROLF

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Dyflin wrote: »
    One word transshipment. You off load on the periphery of a large market and head off again for a fill. Most ports in Europe can't accommodate these ships so on paper it makes a lot of sense. The same goes for containers. In practice, there's still a good bit of development potential for Continental ports.

The local impact economic argument is actually pretty weak IMHO. It will require huge tracks of land to accommodate enormous storage tanks and vast concrete covered container yards. These are highly automated industries and so labour will be minimal in relation to the scale of the site. There is a huge oil terminal in the Shetland's called Sullom Voe, but then of course we've all heard of it and the fabulous wealth the Shetlanders enjoy...

The other Irish place that tried this was Bantry and they still remember the Betelgeuse.

I've no intention of arguing with you because you seem to know what you're on about - But how does it make sense to offload:

shipping_containers.jpgX 1000

every week in Ireland and then head off to refill your Supertanker holds when you have a logistical nightmare scenario to get them to their ultimate destination?

- Also of course bearing in mind that the existing Infrastructure in Limerick/Foynes is minimal & that we have a road network inferior to much of Central America with the added problem of lots and lots of salt water as a final hurdle?

Surely anywhere, but anywhere on mainland Europe makes infinitely more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Rotterdam is at capacity and the north sea is congested.

Loughhill in Limerick is a natural deep water which can take super sized vessels would be ideal as an overflow for Rotterdam. Good spot for transatlantic containers to pull in too and be offloaded to feeder vessels that can go to UK/Mainland europe.

It would make marginal difference with transit times from USA or far east.

The knock on effect with ships crews landing in shannon airport and staying in Limerick hotels would be massive as well as crews departing ships to go home or waiting to board other vessels. Nothing to say cruise ships could not land their too. Easy access to both Kerry and Clare.

The knock knock knockers are out in force today. You can't do this, you can't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

niallers1 wrote: »

The knock knock knockers are out in force today. You can't do this, you can't do that.

No, they are here everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The deep ports on mainland Europe are at capacity, iirc, Foynes is one of the deeper ports in Europe that is so underutilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

No, they are here everyday.

Thank God we have people here popping in from time to time to put things in order karma-wise.

I've no intention of arguing with you because you seem to know what you're on about - But how does it make sense to offload:

shipping_containers.jpgX 1000

every week in Ireland and then head off to refill your Supertanker holds when you have a logistical nightmare scenario to get them to their ultimate destination?

- Also of course bearing in mind that the existing Infrastructure in Limerick/Foynes is minimal & that we have a road network inferior to much of Central America with the added problem of lots and lots of salt water as a final hurdle?

Transshipping, stick them onto feeder ships and distribute them by sea to other European ports. This is essentially what happens today with small container ships coming into Dublin/Cork/Belfast and discharging and loading for the big ports of the UK and the continent.

Having worked in the industry for a number of years (including supertankers) there's plenty of capacity left in Europe and the current recession has left ports underutilised.

Shipping companies are the scabbiest and stingiest slave drivers around, if there was a cheaper way for them to operate they'd be doing it already!

• Advertisement

The deep ports on mainland Europe are at capacity, iirc, Foynes is one of the deeper ports in Europe that is so underutilised.

Foynes cannot take a genuine supertanker, legally or physically. I had posted about this when this thread first started, and will do so now again. It has nothing to do with knocking Limerick, it is just to do with simple fact.

The maximum beam that the deepwater port in Foynes can take is 29m.

The average beam on a supertanker is 55m.

The maximum length of ship that the harbour in Foynes can take is 194m, with the tanker pier being 91m in length (generally a tanker pier can take a tanker just over twice the length of the pier)

The average length of a supertanker is over 300m. Some 106m longer that the maximum length than Foynes can take.

In the case of an emergency docking, Foynes can take a damaged ship or a ship in need of up to 220m on a temporary basis, but is not equipped to unload such a ship and do anything other than evacuate the crew and put the ship in a position where it can be accessed by emergency teams.

You can find some of the stats needed to debunk the myth that Foynes can take supertankers on this website.

http://www.sfpc.ie/foynes_port.html

Somebody mention the depth at Loughill. Yes there is a maximum depth at Loughill that could technically support a supertanker but that depth is only covering a narrow stretch of the river, and the stretch of river leading to it is not deep enough for the minimum draft needed for a standard supertanker or similar, specifically the average depth of the stretch between Glin pier and Kilteery pier.

Go on!! - Nurture the auld Siege Mentality..... I was just asking how in the fcuk would it work......

- If anyone provide a scenario that made sense I'd have gotten bored and wandered off.

As is it makes absolutely no sense.... but I am open to correction and enlightenment.

\ There wasn't even Knockers on the Mardi Gras Thread FFS?

Dyflin wrote: »
    Transshipping, stick them onto feeder ships and distribute them by sea to other European ports. This is essentially what happens today with small container ships coming into Dublin/Cork/Belfast and discharging and loading for the big ports of the UK and the continent.

Having worked in the industry for a number of years (including supertankers) there's plenty of capacity left in Europe and the current recession has left ports underutilised.

Shipping companies are the scabbiest and stingiest slave drivers around, if there was a cheaper way for them to operate they'd be doing it already!

Nail on the head.

There wasn't even Knockers on the Mardi Gras Thread FFS?

Again i did not knock mardi gras.. i said it was good for what it was!!

As for the supertankers i know nothing about them so all i can say is if one of these hair brained schemes that we keep reading about in the post comes true its worth 10,0000,0000 gagillion to the local economy!!!

No but on a serious note hopefully something big happens in the region soon no matter what it is.. we badly need jobs..

Stab*City wrote: »

As for the supertankers i know nothing about them so all i can say is if one of these hair brained schemes that we keep reading about in the post comes true its worth 10,0000,0000 gagillion to the local economy!!!

No but on a serious note hopefully something big happens in the region soon no matter what it is.. we badly need jobs..

Now that is a line I think everyone can agree on.

Stab*City wrote: »

The other Knockers Stabs - Jeez-us!!!!!

:P

The other Knockers Stabs - Jeez-us!!!!!

:P

:D:pac:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Harpy wrote: »
    Those posts made me laugh so much... i've shown it to 3 people. brilliant!!

Mise freisin, don't think I've ever laughed out loud at a topic on boards until now
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Mise freisin, don't think I've ever laughed out loud at a topic on boards until now
    :D

Aw shucks, still making people laugh a year later :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

h3000 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    ROLF

You are obviously a way too young to remember whiddy, which would have only been a thug boat compaired to some of the super tankers of today, and that is not even mentioning the consequences of a sizeable spill. :eek:

Advertisement