Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lightmeter

• 15-10-2009 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain (in plain english) how to read an analog lightmeter, I have an old Jessop model D3 lightmeter and I cant figure out how to read it, :o
    There is a Hi reading (numbers are 9 to 18 in yellow which corresponds to the outer dial) and 1 to 9 on the Lo corespoinding to white numbers on the same dial, this also has the fstops on it, the inner dial sets the ISO and has shutter speeds on it.

I am sure it is simples (in the words of the Meerkat) but I cant figure it out.....Help please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There should be a switch on the side putting the lightmeter into lo or high sensitivity. Select the appropriate one (ie if its in low and the needle is pinned to the RHS of the meter then switch it to high, similarly for the lo setting). Read the EV value from the meter.

Turn the inner dial until the correct ISO is selected. Now turn the outer dial until the displayed EV lines up with the little white dot.
    The meter will now display a set of matching F/stops and shutter speeds for that EV. IE 1/100 at f/2.8 is the same as 1/25 at f/5.6. So select whichever speed you want and read off the appropriate aperture, or select the aperture you want and read off the speed. Simple :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Glad I did a refresh .... was just about to write something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Ok...so, on the inner dial there are two little cut out windows ISO and DIN I can see how to set ISO ok, there is also a little pointer on this dial with EV and the numbers 1 to 20 is this where I put the reading from the needle? If so this is giving me a reading (at the little white dot) of f16 30s? is this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ok...so, on the inner dial there are two little cut out windows ISO and DIN I can see how to set ISO ok, there is also a little pointer on this dial with EV and the numbers 1 to 20 is this where I put the reading from the needle? If so this is giving me a reading (at the little white dot) of f16 30s? is this right?

Is it similar to the one about 4 or 5 posts down this thread ?
    http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Eny8

Then read off the EV value from the meter and turn the outside dial until the EV value on the outside of the dial is lined up with the white dot. An EV value doesn't just correspond with one aperture and shutter speed, it corresponds to a range of equivalent apertures and shutter speeds. IE, in that picture above (which isn't super clear but it'll do), the ev value is 13, and that corresponds (at whatever ISO is set) to 1/4 of a second at f/45, or 1/8 at f/32 or 1/15th at f/22 and so on and on around the dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

Ahh! tinkle tinkle.......the penny has dropped :)

Thanks a million! Yep it is exactly like the one in the picture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement