Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mushrooms?

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:03pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if these are edible? Dozens growing in my raised beds.
    P1010019.jpg
    P1010020-1.jpg
    P1010022.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

I'm not an expert, but from wikipedia it seems that they are deadly:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conocybe_filaris

note: I wouldn't use wikipedia to check if some fungi are *not* deadly

in this case it says:
    They have been shown to contain amatoxins, which are highly toxic to the liver and are responsible for many deaths by poisoning from mushrooms in the genera Amanita and Lepiota. They are sometimes mistaken for Psilocybe, especially the Psilocybe cyanescens and the Psilocybe subaeruginosa species due to their similar looking Pileus (cap).

and from:
    http://academic.evergreen.edu/projects/mushrooms/phm/s9.htm
    Like all of the mushrooms shown so far, the critical feature is that the onset of symptoms will be delayed for 6-24 hours and then after a period of intense gastrointestinal distress the patient will appear to recover before having a very serious, potentially fatal, reappearance of symptoms coupled with elevated liver enzymes. The amatoxins inhibit RNA polymerase, which transcribes m-RNA. They affect the gastrointestinal epithelium, centrilobular hepatocytes and nephrocytes in the proximal convoluted tubes. Kidney and liver failure follows with bleeding and neurologic dysfunction.

Again, please, never trust a forum to check if mushrooms are edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Pictures are usually not enough to give a clear identification. They look similar to Marasmius Oreades, but I can't guarantee they are. A picture of the gills could help, yet I wouldnt' risk eating them without having a 100% positive match.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

The underside,
    P1010028.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

I confirm that they look like Marasmius Oreades. Two ways to recognize them is to test the stem, that should be quite hard, and check the spores, that should be white. Marasmius Oreades is considered excellent by some, good or mediocre by others. In the area where I come from people don't eat them, they are considered unworth the effort.

Again, I must insist that a false positive could lead to serious health issues, so I would not recommend eating them without first bringing them to an expert for a sure identification.

Additional note: if you're interested in mushrooms, or you would like to have yours identified, you can contact Bill O'Dea (http://www.mushroomstuff.com). He's a very nice person, quite experienced, and we often chat about mushrooms that I find here in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭superficies

Usually if you bring some into your pharmacist they ought to be able to tell you whether they are deadly or not. Or, if you live in the countryside, pop to the forester and ask him (with samples).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They could also be the psycoactive cousins, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_subaeruginosa

bring them to somebody who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Don't take the chance. It really isn't worth the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mycologist

Hi,

I registered to point out to anyone else who stumbles on this that those are not Marasmius oreades. You can see the spore print and it is not white. Do not confuse this with the real M. oreades as it is quite possibly an Entoloma which can make you very sick. Galerina spp. also look similar and will kill you.

I apologize for resurrecting this but it turns up on google for Marasmius oreades too easily to leave it be.

Spore print:
    P1010020-1 copy.jpg

Advertisement