Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Reg latest press release

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Looks like more people on the dole. Early implementation of the 9 year rule coupled with more frequent production of C2 will mean less drivers will have the resources to stay in the industry.

The wheelchair only policy for new plates will result in almost no new plates issued as the revenue and limitations does not justify the expenditure.

All in all a piece of regulation from a public servant who does not live in the real world ie has to actually earn a living.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

trad wrote: »

Early implementation of the 9 year rule coupled

Thats good from a customers view point. Newer safer cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

Looks like more people on the dole. Early implementation of the 9 year rule coupled with more frequent production of C2 will mean less drivers will have the resources to stay in the industry.

The wheelchair only policy for new plates will result in almost no new plates issued as the revenue and limitations does not justify the expenditure.

All in all a piece of regulation from a public servant who does not live in the real world ie has to actually earn a living.

sorry but is that not what the whingers i mean taxi drivers were looking for? no new licences?
    also the fast-tracking of the 9 year rule will lead to a number of taxi drivers exiting the industry presumably, so it's in effect an end to deregulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But aren't the taxi drivers complaining there are too many taxis? And by C2, do you mean tax clearance cert? Early implementation will improve the quality of the taxi fleet, clear the rubbish from the roads and improve the public's perception of taxis.
    Actually what it does is prevent any idiot from simply buying a plate and sticking a yellow light on top his family car in order to earn a few bob. Coupled with the "no transfer/single transfer" rules it also means that someone will only enter the market if they're really serious because once they've got their licence, they can't sell it on. What this does is turn the licence from a commodity/asset into a simple one-off registration/set-up fee, which is how it should always have been.

It also creates a gap in the vehicle market for a manufacturer to come in with London-style cabs, all identical, all suited for the purposes of taxiing and operated on a leasing basis, which makes the taxi game more accessible and ensures the standard of vehicles in the market.

With any luck, what this actually means is that within 10 years we'll have a fleet of well-maintained, wheelchair-accessible taxis, driven by people who are treating it as a job and not as a right.
    Taxi drivers by and large don't live in the real world. They expect to fund the mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D and raise a family of 6 by driving a car around all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

If you look closely at the regs regarding Wheelchair accessable taxis they must be passenger vehicles with full VRT and then conversion charges are on top of that. The london style taxi does not meet Irish standards even though it is one of the most recognised vehicle in the world.

The restrictions on the licence means you have to give priority to wheelchair work over work that might actually contribute to the cost of the vehicle. If this is the way forward all taxis will be large people carriers or passenger versions of commercial vehicles.

Not a lot of people like them unless they are 6 of their mates and wanting to travel together. I rarely travel in taxis so it won't affect me but be careful for what you wish for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not a lot of people like them unless they are 6 of their mates and wanting to travel together. I rarely travel in taxis so it won't affect me but be careful for what you wish for.
    In my experience, the only reason people don't like large people carriers is because the guy driving it gives out that he's missing out on a larger fare by just carrying you.

I find them considerably more comfortable and enjoyable than saloons for travelling in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I would have liked the 9 year rule to be as low as 5 years. It's very rare to see a taxi newer than 07 as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I have to say, as a fare paying passenger, I prefer to travel in a wheelchair taxi although I have no disability. They tend to be wider and have lots of legroom to stretch out. Also, they frequently have a perspex screen between the driver and passenger. Also, you are not going to get customers to complain about taxis being newer and I presume a new taxi is safer.

The London taxi is not such a good cab. Recently the courts have changed the rules so other taxis can be used such as Peugeots which meet the same spec due to pressure from drivers. Also Mercedes have adapted their Vito to rear wheel steering for London. So I would not get hung up on the fact that London taxis cannot be used in Dublin as it seems London is not so keen on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

irlrobins wrote: »
    I would have liked the 9 year rule to be as low as 5 years. It's very rare to see a taxi newer than 07 as it is.

Reducing it to 5 years would be needlessly punitive. A well maintained, clean 7 year old car is every bit as good as a 5 year old one. The thing about the age of a car is a bit of a red herring. Its all about maintaining the car properly and if the car is in good repair. I have seen 10 year old mercs that are far better than cars 3 and 4 years old. I have no problem with the 9 year rule as I think its probably just about right.

I have to disagree with your last statement. There are plenty of 08 cars out there. 09s are rare anyway so its not much of surprise to see very few of them but there are a few I have see. The problem is drivers are hanging onto their cars longer than they previously might of due to the downturn. The same as everyone else really

The five year rule would be fine if it was announced in good time and a taxi driver can prepare for it.

All it would do would have a taxi driver buying a car, knowing how long it will last them and then factoring in the car loan to their earnings over that period.

I'd say it may even go in the drivers' favour as well in terms of fuel economy and comfort.

But a standard has to be set and it is currently nine years. A ten year old car should not be taxiing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

seamus wrote: »
    Taxi drivers by and large don't live in the real world. They expect to fund the mortgage on a 3-bed semi-D and raise a family of 6 by driving a car around all day.

Actualy no, we assume to fund it by driving passengers from A to B, not by driving a car around all day, a minor detail but an important one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it seems very wasteful to insist that every cab is wheelchair accessible - these cars are larger, heavier, less fuel efficient and will spend 99% of their time carrying non-disabled people around.

Would it be better to have a dedicated fleet of wheelchair cabs run by the regulator and every driver could do (say) 1 week a year driving them as part of their license conditions?

Apart from this, I would've thought seriuos cab drivers would welcome these new regs - they will undoubtedly lead to a gradual reduction in the number of cabs on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

loyatemu wrote: »
    it seems very wasteful to insist that every cab is wheelchair accessible - these cars are larger, heavier, less fuel efficient and will spend 99% of their time carrying non-disabled people around.

Would it be better to have a dedicated fleet of wheelchair cabs run by the regulator and every driver could do (say) 1 week a year driving them as part of their license conditions?

Apart from this, I would've thought seriuos cab drivers would welcome these new regs - they will undoubtedly lead to a gradual reduction in the number of cabs on the road.

Not every car will be wheelchair accesible. There are targetting a far higher percentage of the fleet than currently exists. If you ever have the misfortune to need a wheelchair cab you will find that alot of the time they are difficult to book and guarantee to be there on time. Its an unacceptable situation and this should rectify it in time. There will always be a massive amount of regular cars around and the regulator has said she would further release regular licences should the need arise in the future.

I think most drivers do welcome these changes.I certainly do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    Reducing it to 5 years would be needlessly punitive. A well maintained, clean 7 year old car is every bit as good as a 5 year old one. The thing about the age of a car is a bit of a red herring. Its all about maintaining the car properly and if the car is in good repair. I have seen 10 year old mercs that are far better than cars 3 and 4 years old. I have no problem with the 9 year rule as I think its probably just about right.

I have to disagree with your last statement. There are plenty of 08 cars out there. 09s are rare anyway so its not much of surprise to see very few of them but there are a few I have see. The problem is drivers are hanging onto their cars longer than they previously might of due to the downturn. The same as everyone else really

Top Gear did a recent show on safety features.

There was a comaprison of 99 and 03 models and showed the NCAP tests on 99 and 03 models. The difference was staggering.

Safety should be number one for every one concerened. I'd be more interested in a car that meets specific saftey and maintenance standards.

I presume that there is an NCT system or similar in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

These are great improvements and I'm sure will benefit the serious taximen and of course customers. I just wish they'd mandate a standard colour for taxis as well. In Germany the tendency is now towards all over vinyl taxis, which means a well maintained taxi can still be sold on after it's too old to be used as a taxi and the buyer doesn't have to drive around in an 'ex taxi', so to speak.

See a video of the vinyl being removed here. The vinyl also protects the original paint and keeps it in almost new condition! I saw a documentary about it recently. It is also considerably cheaper than a respray and even private customers in germany can get a new car look by simply changing the colour of their car in this way.

http://www.by-nachtigall.de/gallery/finearts/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

kearnsr wrote: »
    I presume that there is an NCT system or similar in place
    Taxis have to be NCT'd on an annual basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murphaph wrote: »
    In Germany the tendency is now towards all over vinyl taxis

For a second there, I thought you meant 70s-style vinyl roof material all over the taxi :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,569 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On the wheelchair accessible cabs. A few years ago I was discharged from James's hospital with a broken leg. Would have preferred a saloon car and just stretched out across the back seat, but one of those 'accessible' Hiace abortions turned up. Steps to get in - that's funny when you're trying to master crutches. Individual seats with the squab at a funny angle, could not get comfortable and could not get the seat belt around me and support my leg at the same time. The thing had appalling ride and I nearly got bounced out of the seat at every bump. Terrible.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Surely the age of a taxi has very little bearing on the standard of comfort or quality of the journey?
    a 20 year old mothballed car with 200km vs a 8.9 year old car with 1e6 km couldn't be compared. quantitive standards for passenger comfort and safety should be introduced rather than a hand-wavey x year old car rule.

Also what'd the fascination for a saloon car vs a hatch back in the transfer rule?
    I'd prefer an new Superb over a Polo saloon any day.

Also I didn't think there was a national taximeter area?
    Can any taxi pick up any fare anywhere in the country?

Surely the age of a taxi has very little bearing on the standard of comfort or quality of the journey?
    a 20 year old mothballed car with 200km vs a 8.9 year old car with 1e6 km couldn't be compared. quantitive standards for passenger comfort and safety should be introduced rather than a hand-wavey x year old car rule.

Yes but it is unlikely that a twenty year old taxi is a car which will have been mothballed. The fact is that the older cars tend to be the less comfortable, less safe and more polluting. While there are exceptions to every rule, you have to legislate to what is most common.
    Also I didn't think there was a national taximeter area?
    Can any taxi pick up any fare anywhere in the country?

No, you have to be licensed to pick up in an area. You can drive out of that area with a passenger, the metered amount stands although you are leaving the area and the metered amount is the same in all counties and cities.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

more frequent production of C2 will mean less drivers will have the resources to stay in the industry.

Gee what an imposition. Someone in a totally cash based business will have to prove that he has paid tax...

Advertisement