Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

20 Gauge Cartridges Heavier Loads

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me where I can buy 30/32gm loads for my 20 bore Browning for shooting pheasants for the winter? I'm living in Cork and can't seem to buy anything over the counter heavy enough! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Sorry not much help on the where you can buy from. The loads you want are heavy, research has shown that in a twenty bore any load over 28g usually deforms as it passes thru the barrel, what i mean is that the pellets lose there round shape, a lighter load may be more effective. In saying that I have seen my uncle shooting pheasants with a 24g last year and 30g so I dunno;) I shot a pheasant no hassle with a 25g last year.

Sorry for the off topic, just something to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

Thanks kermitpwee for your reply. This is my second 20bore; my first gun was one and I have shot with a 12bore since(I still have this gun). I bought this gun last year late in the season so haven't shot much with it. I find 24/25/26g type of loads are fine for smaller game but in the past I've found you need the heavier load for the bigger bird because if your not hitting them in the head at any distance they will just keep going!! Would you shoot pheasants regularly with 24g load if you were shooting with a 12bore!?

20 bores are lovely guns. What i am saying is that when you are putting 30/32g down a 20 bore barrel its a tighter bore, with this much lead been squeezed together the lead can deform. The deformed pellets fly out of the pattern so you will be left with gaps in your shot pattern even though you have thrown more lead into the air. There is an optimal combination of bore and cartridge weight, thats up to science tho and there are many factors.

May i ask what Browning you have. I am very tempted by a twenty bore, easier to carry long distances. If i dont get a dog soon I wont be carrying any gun!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

kermitpwee wrote: »
    20 bores are lovely guns. What i am saying is that when you are putting 30/32g down a 20 bore barrel its a tighter bore, with this much lead been squeezed together the lead can deform. The deformed pellets fly out of the pattern so you will be left with gaps in your shot pattern even though you have thrown more lead into the air. There is an optimal combination of bore and cartridge weight, thats up to science tho and there are many factors.

May i ask what Browning you have. I am very tempted by a twenty bore, easier to carry long distances. If i dont get a dog soon I wont be carrying any gun!
    what research did you see that info in?:) i think the biggest difference is that the pattern is about 20% smaller than the 12.

ayapatrick wrote: »
    what research did you see that info in?:) i think the biggest difference is that the pattern is about 20% smaller than the 12.

Can't remember where i saw it tbh. The article said that the best pattern(bore size in relation to the weight of the cartridge) was actually a 28 bore. I wont be changing to a 28 bore tho:D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭pedroeibar

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Can't remember where i saw it tbh. The article said that the best pattern(bore size in relation to the weight of the cartridge) was actually a 28 bore. I wont be changing to a 28 bore tho:D.

I'm not so sure about some of the comments made. Although I do agree that deformity can cause shot to “go wide”, I would be surprised if ammo manufacturers had not overcome this issue, with specially designed cups, wads, etc., particularly as 20s are now so popular in the US & UK.

I’ve always understood that the diameter of the pattern is determined primarily by the choke, not the bore. Bore (and choke) will determine the length of the shotstring, i.e. a 12g will have a shorter shotstring than a 20g, because the column of shot in the cartridge is squatter. Thus the amount of shot hitting a fast-moving target can be higher from a 12 than a 20, which is more influential in a clean kill.
    [FONT=&quot]I love 20gs, and have one in sxs
    Rs
    P.
    [/FONT]

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SureHowBad

I have a browning 425 Grade 1. Paid about €1200 for it second hand but the gun is immaculate. The only fault I would have with it is that its a fixed choke at 3/4 and full. Its very tight but I'm able to hit game fine with it. The gun fits me perfectly and liked it straight away so just over looked this fact and bought it! What had you your eye on?

Advertisement