Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Synth Britannia - Friday bbc4

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

9pm-10.30pm

Documentary about a generation of post-punk musicians who took the synthesiser from the experimental fringes to the centre of the pop stage. Following Human League, Daniel Miller and Cabaret Volatire, the crossover moment came in 1979 when Gary Numan's appearance on TOTP heralded the arrival of synthpop. Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Soft Cell, OMD and Yazoo took the synth into the mainstream, while acts like Pet Shop Boys and New Order showed that the future of electronic music lay in dance music.

10.30pm-11.30

With Moogs turned up to 11, a 1970s/80s journey through the BBC's synthpop archives from Roxy Music to New Order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I've seen the ad a few times, and it looks great: any show featuring Vince Clarke, Daniel Miller and Andy McCluskey has got to be a winner. Can't wait.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Was gutted as I knew I was going to miss this - but it's repeated at 12.20. Cannot wait! :D

Caught the end of the compilation of performances on TOTP and The Old Grey Whistle Test after the first showing - LOL at PETA appealing to The Pet Shop Boys to change their name to The Rescue Shelter Boys... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Shit :mad:

Maybe it's on the site?

It was awesome Stove - from A Clockwork Orange's soundtrack in the early 70s to just the right point: when synthesisers were hijacked by Howard Jones and The Thompson Twins. :pac:
    Don't think BBC i-player works in Ireland though - unless there's another way of viewing it on the site (I'm not the person to ask these things... :pac:)
    But BBC4 is always repeating those Friday night music programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on again tonight 23:40

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I read your op and was pretty p*ssed to have missed this, great its on again tonight!!!

I've managed to miss it twice so far! :p

Come to think of it, I don't think I have BBC4 :(

Are you on SKY Ireland? If so you can tune it in -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

Yes on SKY, cool... thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"We were on Top of the Pops with Bonnie Langford and Elton John and Cliff Richard, among others, and we were doing a song in waltz time which started with forty-five seconds of distortion, and had no chorus..."

Andy McCluskey wins quote of the show.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

mike65 wrote: »
    Its on again tonight 23:40

And I missed it again. :o

There's a limit to the number of times BBC4 show a programme!

Anyway I just watched it, very absorbing 90 mins which has inspired me to fire up a few mono-synths
    and have a dabble. The early stuff is, as usual the best as various acts come into exisitence and stumble towards success. The later material, like the acts (Yazoo etc) was less interesting.

Right, cos you clearly need some planning help I'm giving you 4 days notice of the following

FRIDAY 21:00
    Krautrock: The Rebirth of Germany
    How a radical generation of 1960s and 70s musicians created a new German musical identity.

22:00
    Kraftwerk: Minimum-Maximum
    Performances by Kraftwerk, including Autobahn, Radioactivity. and Trans Europe Express.

Yeah and I feckin missed it again too :(

Cheers for the heads up on the others though, both sound like not to be missed also!

Ever notice how those documentaries always feature two constants:

1. How sh1t Britain was in the 70s/early 80s
    2. A bit of sneering at prog rock

:D

Except in Prog Britannia of course! :pac: And Britian was a bit sh1t in the 70s and early 80s. Bloody unions! :D

Kraftwerk bump (blip!?) alert

Friday 21:00
    How a radical generation of 1960s and 70s musicians created a new German musical identity.

This is repeated twice overnight and again tomorrow evening at 23.30

Friday 22:00
    Performances by Kraftwerk, including Autobahn, Radioactivity and Trans Europe Express.

Reapted again at 00.30 Saturday night/Sunday morning

My only chance. :)

Only back from Dundalk so couldn't have watched it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

There's a limit to the number of times BBC4 show a programme!

Anyway I just watched it, very absorbing 90 mins which has inspired me to fire up a few mono-synths
    and have a dabble. The early stuff is, as usual the best as various acts come into exisitence and stumble towards success. The later material, like the acts (Yazoo etc) was less interesting.

Right, cos you clearly need some planning help I'm giving you 4 days notice of the following

FRIDAY 21:00

22:00
    Performances by Kraftwerk, including Autobahn, Radioactivity. and Trans Europe Express.

Watched it last night. Thank God for BBC4. Kraftwerk: Mimimum- Maximum. I have the DVD but last night The Model, Autobahn, Radioactivity were sung in German rather than English, and for some reason the songs sounded even better. (Needless to say I don't speak German)! Maybe I just need to get a life.:)

Ya, das war gut! :)

• Advertisement

Caught the absolute tail end of the second showing last night - it looked superb.

Won't get to see it tonight. :(

Kraftwerk bump (blip!?) alert

Friday 21:00

Friday 22:00
    Performances by Kraftwerk, including Autobahn, Radioactivity and Trans Europe Express.

Ah I have to see it tonight... can't believe I forgot last night! Must set a reminder on my phone or something.......

Oh thank you Jesus - it's on now! :D

Fascinating show - not just the music, which is brilliant, but the socio-culturo-politico (whatever) landscape that heralded it.

All this talk of early 80s gloom and Germany reminded me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il1T8Qb986U

Also, shame Spandau Ballet didn't continue in this vein:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KrFLZ9OCBQ

Forgot about The Passions, thanks.:)

Passions In Love with a German Film Star is one of my 80s favourites. (music is sh1te these days)

Passions In Love with a German Film Star is one of my 80s favourites. (music is sh1te these days)

Wasn't music always ****e (except for the music that we actually liked).:)

This thread needs more doses of po-faced guys whining about their favourite topic: alienation - the linchpin of early '80s synth. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0WNbm1jz6A

BBC 4- 9.30 Friday- Ronnie Scotts And All That Jazz. :eek:

• Advertisement

Bump :)

Friday 9:00pm - Synth Britannia

10:30pm Synth Britannia at the BBC

and then repeated at 1 am till 4 am

Advertisement