Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing birds nest from chimney

• 15-10-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

How do I remove a birds nest from the chimney. There seem to be birds in it? Will this kill them? I don't want to do that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

dont know how your gonna do it without killin em , depends how far down/up it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

I doubt there are any young in the nest at this time of year. Is it jackdaws? They seem to drop sticks down chimneys all throught the year inthe hope one will stick and be the start of a new nest.

They are easy enough to get down but they can be huge, one I pulled out once needed 6 black bags to take all the sticks (good kindling). Use drain/sweep rods and tape\tie\wire a piece of wire making a hook on it to the first rod and push up into the nest and pull down, repeat till you have it all then sweep with a brush. Don't go mad with a super strenght massive hook as if it gets stuck you want it to bend so you can pull it back down again.

Finish by putting a wire cowel over the chimeny pot to stop them doing it again although if they really like your chimney they will still keep pushing the odd stick down it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Put a cowel on immediately chimney is cleaned with rods! Crows etc will start rebuilding immediately if not.

Shouldn't be any young in chimney at the moment. Adults are probably settling down for winter. They are amazing builders - sack load of twigs in 24 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

you could do sustainable destruction. i removed a birds nest and felt bad about it so i put a bird box up in the back. it seems to be happily occupied. best tennants i ever had. hardly causes any trouble and the neighbours dont complain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Bahaha

i have guests! how can i get them to leave?

• Advertisement
Advertisement