Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shure 55 Dose anyone still use them?

• 15-10-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

We had one of these lying around the house for years as kids, (Not working of course). looking at Shures current cataloger they are still making them. How would they compare to a modern mike?

shure_55sh_series2_b19599.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

In what way Run ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    In what way Run ?
    In terms of clarity, feedback, preformance etc to a more modern mike such as the SM58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

The SM 58 came out in 1966 !

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    The SM 58 came out in 1966 !
    Not the improved Beta version.

The 55 in 1939 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

That's great lads, but I think the OP wants to hear from people who've actually used the 55? Not people who can google. :p

I'm a big fan of the predecessors of the 57 and 58, the 515SB and 588SB respectively. Lovely when you have a half decent pre with enough gain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Yes I've used this in it's recent facelift, I remember it sounding pretty decent if a little aggressive in the upper mids. I'm sure you could circumvent that with proximity effect but IIRC the pickup pattern being hyper or super cardioid makes it less desirable for a live band scenario where there might be a screaming wedge behind it.

For other uses tho, YMMV.

Savman wrote: »
    Yes I've used this in it's recent facelift, I remember it sounding pretty decent if a little aggressive in the upper mids. I'm sure you could circumvent that with proximity effect but IIRC the pickup pattern being hyper or super cardioid makes it less desirable for a live band scenario where there might be a screaming wedge behind it.

For other uses tho, YMMV.
    According to this site the revamped 55 Classic has the internals of a Beta 58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

According to this site the revamped 55 Classic has the internals of a Beta 58.
    me wrote:
    a little aggressive in the upper mids.
    Sounds about right :D

Advertisement