Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Websites or shops that do very large prints?

• 15-10-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum or an oft-asked question, I haven't posted here before.

Anyway, I'd like to get some very large prints of a photo - I'm not sure of the precise dimensions required, but I'm aiming for at least 48" in length, perhaps up to 72" if I could find it. Does anyone know of a service that prints photos this large, whether online or in Dublin, hopefully relatively cheaply and with good-quality paper?

Also, what kind of resolution would I require in order to print a photo that large with sufficient clarity? It doesn't have to be perfect, but I still want something serviceable.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Try http://www.360-dpi.com/ or contact Steve (stcstc). He'll be the man to help you out with large prints.

As for resolution, check http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055650549

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

If steve doesn't do it, then Mick Buchanan in signsystem Navan can probably do it. He doesn't have his site set up for that service yet but AFAIK he's in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I had an A1 print done poster style with Reads on Nassau street. Quality was fine for something billed as being poster style. Cost was very cheap (at €20 I think) and cost to quality was quite acceptable for my intended purpose. The paper used wasn't heavy stock paper which I was aware of before I went ordering.

They (Reads) do a photographic print at A1 for €40 if I recall correctly. I haven't had one of these done as yet but i'd guess it would make up for any deficiencies (paper) in the €20 one.

If its something special that you are printing then 360 dpi (stcstc) is the chap to call. He'll be dearer than the above but the personal care / attention / and advice can be worth it.

I don't know for definite but i'm sure the minilabs do large formats - harvey norman's certainly do but i've never had a large format print done with them (up to 8x10's done all right)

My A1 (reads) came from a 6mp image - at that size the quality or lack of pixels was noticeable when viewing up really close but again for my intended purpose it was fine (I was quite impressed actually). Obviously the larger the number of pixels the larger the print can be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i can print up to 44" on the short side inhouse, but have access to a 60" printer too

depending on what its for etc there are a good few options

give me a shout i will try and help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I can do 48 inch prints on heavy lustre paper in work. PM me if ya want any details :) Id say you should aim for as high as resolution as you can- 48x72 is a very big print.

• Advertisement

hey katie

what kind of printer do you use that does 48", rolls come in 44 and 50

i am just curious

Hi stcstc, Its an epson 8800 printer. Im pretty sure its 48 inch, though it could be 44. My brain is a little tired! Im working in the morning so I can double check. Its only new so still learning lots about it.

is it a 9900??

thats the new epson, its a 44"

You're quite right- it is a 9900. Sorry for the mistake! Im a tired bunny now! The quality is amazing. I did some canvas prints on it today. I'm not a fan of canvas printing but it did a very good job. The colours are extremely good and I'm enjoying using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Just throw this in, I used to work in sign shops, most places now have a LFP that can print from 1300 to 1600mm (or there abouts) some using 4-6 CMYK colours, plus the prints can be mounted onto pvc borads 3-19mm.

I know/used/worked with this company.

http://www.uni-graphics.com/ (Barry is the guy there)

• Advertisement

be very very careful with sign type prints

most sign printers use solvent based inks, which are designed for use outdoors etc

the quality from these printers is not close to the level of print you get from aaqueous based inkjet

most solvent printers use ink drops which are 25 pico litres, photo printers use 3 to 6 picolitres

so the size of the dots is much much smaller

the other issue is longevity, sign stuff is designed to work for 5 years or so, not 70 or 100 like proper photo prints

and any decent photo printing place can also do the mounting, i mount regularly onto boards up to 8ft * 4Ft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Dr.Louis

katiemaloe wrote: »
    You're quite right- it is a 9900. Sorry for the mistake! Im a tired bunny now! The quality is amazing. I did some canvas prints on it today. I'm not a fan of canvas printing but it did a very good job. The colours are extremely good and I'm enjoying using it.

Get away from me printer Katie!! :P

have you had any problems with it not recognizing the cartridges

it seems to be an air lock in the car problem

stcstc wrote: »
    have you had any problems with it not recognizing the cartridges

it seems to be an air lock in the car problem

If you're talking about the Epson 9880 Katie and I use in work, then no we haven't. It's been fine on that side of things- however we have had a lot of connection issues, the network it was on suddenly decided to shut down on us, so it's been USB ever since!

(Sorry for hijacking the question, but I'm bored haha)

"your" printer dr louis! You wish part-timer!!!! :D

no problems with ink cartridges so far!

oh i thought she said it was a 9900

thats the one there is problems with

yea i dont bother with the network, i have the 24" on firwire and the 44" on usb

mind have 3 lasers on network

katiemaloe wrote: »
    "your" printer dr louis! You wish part-timer!!!! :D

no problems with ink cartridges so far!

Oh the come backs that are flying through my head right now... You're lucky I'm not a big meanie like you...
    stcstc wrote: »
    oh i thought she said it was a 9900

She did, but she got it WRONG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

ok, this is probably gone well into the realm of off topic stuff and while its fun its not really doing the OP much good. so, sorry to be the party pooper here, but can we keep back on topic as to places to do very large prints. Thanks.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    ok, this is probably gone well into the realm of off topic stuff and while its fun its not really doing the OP much good. so, sorry to be the party pooper here, but can we keep back on topic as to places to do very large prints. Thanks.

Sure!

If you're looking for larger than 42" then the Camera Centre is no use and Steve is your man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Thanks for the responses, lads, ye have all been really helpful.

I've been thinking about it a bit more, and I'll probably end up going for something in the 48" region, 72" is probably a bit much for me.

I'll probably go with stcstc's company, the prices seem pretty reasonable, and it'd be handy to get some advice from someone on boards. I'll send along a PM to Katie too and see what the story is there as well.

Again, thanks so much for the responses, I appreciate your help. If anyone has any other ideas too, that'd be great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I got a large print done by stcstc earlier this year and I was delighted with it.

Advertisement