Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CONCACAF's epic finale

• 15-10-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

While the rest of last night's games were a bit of a let down, the last round of CONCACAF fixtures was a bit of a classic -

http://backpagefootball.com/info/international/agony-and-ecstasy-in-concacaf-qualifiers/
    Agony and ecstasy in CONCACAF qualifiers

There was late drama on the final day of World Cup qualifiers as a late goal for the United States sent Honduras to next summer’s finals ahead of Costa Rica.

A 63rd minute strike from veteran striker Carlos Pavon was enough to give Honduras a 1-0 away win away to El Salvador, but as the final whistle blew they were headed for a playoff against the fifth place South American side.

Costa Rica had gone two goals up against the United States thanks to a Bryan Ruiz brace, and even though the US pulled a goal back, they were set to join their opponents and Mexico as the automatic CONCACAF qualifiers.

However with five minutes of injury time elapsed, American Jonathan Bornstein was left unmarked to head home an equaliser and spark dramatic scenes in Honduras where fans and players had stayed in the stadium awaiting news from the RFK Stadium in Washington.

“We put a lot of numbers in the box,” said Bornstein, speaking to FIFA’s official Web site.

“I don’t usually go up for that, but it was last-shot time. No-one marked me. I just snuck in there and the ball landed on my head.”

Costa Rica coach Rene Simoes, who took Jamaica to the 1998 finals, said his side were shattered by the result, and he wil have a battle on his hands to pick them up for a two-leg playoff against Uruguay next month.

“First I have to rebuild their spirits,” said Simoes, who was sent to the stands in the 88th minute after an altercation with the fourth official.

“They are in the dumps. This was a shock for them.

“Everything was going fine up until the last minute. The game just ended and its just very sad. Now we just have to start working again.”

There was no stopping the party in Honduras, a country that has been struggling with political unrest since June.

“We knew it would be a very tight game with an El Salvador team that is very well drilled, but that’s football,” said Honduras coach Reinaldo Rueda.

“Today it’s the Honduras fans’ and their team’s turn to celebrate, thanks to the work of many years.

“Now we have months of work, months of matches and let’s hope this victory works out for the good of all.”

Honduras’ only previous appearance at the World Cup Finals was in 1982.

Fantastic scenes in Honduras and it's tough to feel sorry for Costa Rica after 'doing an Ireland' late on, though their second goal was quality -

Honduras highlights -

It'll be tough for Costa Rica now against the playoff experts Uruguay.

1118843_full-lnd.jpg

1118895_full-lnd.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Xavi6 wrote: »

It'll be tough for Costa Rica now against the playoff experts Uruguay.

"Experts" would be a bit of a stretch. They did lose the 2006 playoff after all. Have to fancy Uruguay though despite that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

Lol at "Doing an Ireland". These Latin players don't hold back on emotion and celebratory displays do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

04072511 wrote: »
    "Experts" would be a bit of a stretch. They did lose the 2006 playoff after all. Have to fancy Uruguay though despite that.

I meant 'experts' in the sense that they've experienced playoffs numerous times before and have been on both the winning and losing side so they know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've been following the CONCACAF qualifiers very closely and I'm chuffed for the USA. I've a lot of American friends and it's always fun to be chatting with them while USA are playing.

Will be interesting to see how the Costa Rica and Uruguay match goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I meant 'experts' in the sense that they've experienced playoffs numerous times before and have been on both the winning and losing side so they know what to expect.

True, they can expect a win or a loss. Playoff veterans maybe??:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement