Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox Live at College

• 15-10-2009 4:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭

Trying to get xbox live working on campus at DCU!
    Anybody have any idea how to? I presume most colleges internet will be set up in the same way. I can use the marketplace and stuff but cant play any games online. Trying to play Madden 10, do I need to get a particular port unlocked specifically for madden?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I doubt they'd unblock the port for you,Usually port 80 is left open for web browsers and other things which market place would connect through but Live gaming could use a totally different port and I highly doubt it would be easy to get them to unblock it as the internet(in trinity anyway[a friend told me this]) is listed somewhere as education only needs..And an Xbox isn't really education..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you aren't using the student accomodation internet then tough, they won't open ports for you. However if you are using the student accomodation internet then get in touch with computer services and they will open the ports for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cheers, I gave them the following list of ports and they said they would try:

UDP 88, 3074
    TCP 3074

But thats just for xbox live, I think you need to give them specific ports for specific games, looking at this site http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm
    Im trying to play madden and it gives the following ports for it:
    TCP Ports UDP Ports
    53, 80, 3074 53, 88, 3074

Appreciate your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Raoul wrote: »
    Im trying to play madden and it gives the following ports for it:
    TCP Ports UDP Ports
    53, 80, 3074 53, 88, 3074

Appreciate your help!

I think thats the ports you need to open if you're playing Madden on the PC not the 360.

Here is the link for 09 but it has been the same since 06 so I presume it hasnt changed this year.
    XBOX360 Madden NFL 09 53, 80, 3074 53, 88, 3074 from http://www.portforward.com/cports.htm

So anybody know should this work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I have xbox live working on campus in DCU. Strangely, I can't access the marketplace but can play games online! I just asked the guy in I.S.S to open TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53 and TCP 53.

I doubt Madden would require any extra ports than the standard xbox live ports listed above.

I think I was lucky though, sometimes they'll open the ports and sometimes they'll say no. I'm curious as to how you can connect to the marketplace?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I'm not sure you really need to go into specifics when asking ISS to open the ports for Xbox Live for your on-campus connection - mainly since they already know what needs to be opened because of the Mezz.

I can't go by much since when I was on campus for a year, this was before the NXE, so unless the ports have changed since then...

animaX wrote: »
    I have xbox live working on campus in DCU. Strangely, I can't access the marketplace but can play games online! I just asked the guy in I.S.S to open TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53 and TCP 53.

I doubt Madden would require any extra ports than the standard xbox live ports listed above.

I think I was lucky though, sometimes they'll open the ports and sometimes they'll say no. I'm curious as to how you can connect to the marketplace?!

Sorry I actually cant access the marketplace, thought I could. My fault. But it does connect to xbox live and when I test my connection it says it works. I have went and talked to the computer services dep beside Henry gratton and they said they would try and ring me back. So back up on sunday night, hopefully it works!

Sorry I actually cant access the marketplace, thought I could. My fault. But it does connect to xbox live and when I test my connection it says it works. I have went and talked to the computer services dep beside Henry gratton and they said they would try and ring me back. So back up on sunday night, hopefully it works!

I forgot to mention earlier, even though I can connect to xbox live, for some reason it is not able to download updates. When I do the connection test everything is fine but even still, it just freezes if it tries to update. The solution to this is to update your xbox somewhere else and then it should work on DCU campus.

Note also that there are two kinds of updates: system updates and game-specific updates. If your xbox requires a system update you will have to bring your whole xbox somewhere else to update. If you require a game-specific update you only have to bring your hard-drive somewhere else to update. Annoying, but at least it works :pac:

Has it been asking you to update?

NO!!! I thought this on Friday when I was coming home and I meant to bring my hard drive home so I could update it in someone elses but I forgot. So another week without xbox live, great!! :mad:. As soon as I turn on the game it asks me to update the game and obviously as soon as I try it just stalls. So it will definitely work when I get it updated since my xbox live test was all good?

Cheers for the advice!

• Advertisement

So it will definitely work when I get it updated since my xbox live test was all good?

Yes, assuming that its just a game update that you require. What you could do is bring your hard-drive into the xtreme gaming cafe in the city centre (liffey street) and you can put your HD on one of their xbox's and update there. I usually go there on a saturday to play some street fighter and do any updates that are required, only costs a euro or 2.

Excellent idea, where is that place?

Edit:
    Found it! http://www.xtremeigc.com/Contact.html

Cheers

Excellent idea, where is that place?

Edit:
    Found it! http://www.xtremeigc.com/Contact.html

Cheers

Thats the one. There's only one xbox where you have enough room to replace the HD (the xbox's are encased in a wooden thing), so just say it to the guy at the desk that you want to use your own hard-drive and he'll give you the right xbox. Also, in order to install the HD you're gonna have to unplug the AV cable and power cable to give yourself enough room. Then you'll be good to go.

Good luck! Let us know if it works

Cheers, havent had a chance to go into town. Probably wont this week but I will be bringing the xbox home and just update it there. Thanks for all your help!

Got it updated and brought it back to college and it works!! woo!! Thanks, next thing is to try and get skyplayer!

Great. But that will need another update :eek:

The cycle continues.....

I know! :mad: Ha.

I dont think it will work at all though because I cant get onto the marketplace at all on the xbox up here.

So happy the games are workin though. :D Thanks!

So happy the games are workin though. :D Thanks!

You playing any street fighter by any chance?! Or COD4?

Nah just a bit of Madden (fecking Americans are far too good online) and some UFC. Have either of them? Call of duty 4 is a possibility at the weekend though.

Great. But that will need another update :eek:

The cycle continues.....

Looks like you were right, xbox comes home this weekend, no more xbox live for me this week!! :mad:

• Advertisement

I was just thinking that our connections would be great being so close!!

Edit: are they asking for a new update now?

Yeah system update! It must be for the sky player

AAhhhhh! I was just about to renew my gold subscription. Then once this is done there'll be a facebook update, then another update for modern warfare 2, then.......

College life is tough :P

AAhhhhh! I was just about to renew my gold subscription. Then once this is done there'll be a facebook update, then another update for modern warfare 2, then.......

College life is tough :P

Do you use live-codes to renew your gold membership? Just goin to have to wait on my "real" friends to finish lectures and hurry up for some madden.:D

Did you ever try updating your xbox using a usb and just downloading the file?

Do you use live-codes to renew your gold membership?

Did you ever try updating your xbox using a usb and just downloading the file?

Nah, I just use my credit card. Although there are websites where you can get codes for half the price, I don't know why I don't use them!

Yeah I did the USB update for the last major update (NXE) but the problem is that you can't download any newer updates. Microsoft are just being stupid. If they made every update available to install through usb I'd be a happy man

I got a years subscription off live codes for 31 euro and they just email you the redeem code, pretty handy! Its nearly half price, so well worth it.

Wow, gotta check that out. Though I am in final year so I really should get some work done!

Im doin a masters!! So I have been trying to get some work done but you need some recreation time too :D

Im doin a masters!! So I have been trying to get some work done but you need some recreation time too :D

Haha, I'm in final year PHD!!! I've no excuses :P

• Advertisement

Shh... there are always excuses. Im not optimistic for the sky player to work at college. I cant even see the Inside xbox tab on the dashboard when im using the college network.

Advertisement