Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overseas internship in Carlow IT!

• 15-10-2009 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello hello (:

I'm from Singapore I'll be having a one month internship there soon, so I was wondering, how is it like there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

...be prepared for a big culture change. CArlow is a small Irish town and is very quiet. However, during the academic year, it becomes 'full' with students.

Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hismasterpiece

Kevster wrote: »
    ...be prepared for a big culture change. CArlow is a small Irish town and is very quiet. However, during the academic year, it becomes 'full' with students.

Kevin

Haha yeah I'll expect that considering I'm from the other side of the world. Haha/ What do you mean 'full'?
    Btw are there squash courts there? Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

Hello hello (:

I'm from Singapore I'll be having a one month internship there soon, so I was wondering, how is it like there?

What department is your internship in?

Ms Happy wrote: »
    What department is your internship in?

I think Science and Computing. Probably would have something to do with this course:http://web.itcarlow.ie/courses_detail.asp?id=27&top_section=2&lower_section=10&lower2_section=35&uid=itcarlow

I'm not sure though. I'm just assuming cause my friend and I are from a 3D animation course while the other 2 going along are a from a Game and Entertainment Technology course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭IronWolf

Hi,

I'm currently in the 4th year of the course you've mentioned, its a programming intensive course which also has a basic animation module in 3rd year. Do you know which year group you will be joining?

• Advertisement

IronWolf wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently in the 4th year of the course you've mentioned, its a programming intensive course which also has a basic animation module in 3rd year. Do you know which year group you will be joining?

Could you explain the basic animation module? Haha. Nope no idea..

Hey guys, it's confirmed. I'm going in 6 days time! But I don't knw what I should pack.
    All I know is moisturizer cause it's cold there. Any other ideas?
    I don't even know how it'll be like in the school. Do you guys have dormitories? Is it separated between girls and guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Bring warm clothes, as if it were going to snow. trust me.

We don't actually have dorms in the college, I imagine whoever you're here with will supply accommodation. you could very well end up living with girls/guys. Be warned that fast food or like food in the canteen is pretty expensive, hopefully whoever this is organised with will give more details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its life changing, enjoy! :D

RedXIV wrote: »
    Bring warm clothes, as if it were going to snow. trust me.

We don't actually have dorms in the college, I imagine whoever you're here with will supply accommodation. you could very well end up living with girls/guys. Be warned that fast food or like food in the canteen is pretty expensive, hopefully whoever this is organised with will give more details

Haha alright warm clothes it is!
    School is ****, I don't even know my flight time yet! -.- Ah wells, hopefully things clear up soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Carlow is a nice town. It's got everything you would want on a daily basis. Dublin is only an hour away if you can't find what you want in Carlow.

The IT is small in comparison to the Universities but there's a lot here regardless. No squash courts to my knowledge, though.

You'll be living in accommodation separate from the college. There are no dorms and thus no gender restrictions on who you can stay with. You might end up staying in the same house as the others from your college.

Food is pretty random. For a meal with a drink, you would spend between €5 and €8 depending on what's available at the canteen. The town center is about 10 minutes walk from the IT if there's nothing good available on any given day. Food quality is also pretty random. Some days it's great, some days you'll wish for McDonalds (Which is also in town).

Good luck!

hare05 wrote: »
    Carlow is a nice town. It's got everything you would want on a daily basis. Dublin is only an hour away if you can't find what you want in Carlow.

The IT is small in comparison to the Universities but there's a lot here regardless. No squash courts to my knowledge, though.

You'll be living in accommodation separate from the college. There are no dorms and thus no gender restrictions on who you can stay with. You might end up staying in the same house as the others from your college.

Food is pretty random. For a meal with a drink, you would spend between €5 and €8 depending on what's available at the canteen. The town center is about 10 minutes walk from the IT if there's nothing good available on any given day. Food quality is also pretty random. Some days it's great, some days you'll wish for McDonalds (Which is also in town).

Good luck!

Hey thanks! Yeah I found out I'll be living at 5 Old Burrin, near the schl. (:
    I was wondering, is the heater system indoors at the schl and malls warm? Around how many degrees are they? I don't wanna pack so much winter clothes only to realize it's kinda hot indoors. haha.

Btw is this site right in showing which power outlets you guys use?

http://www.adaptelec.com/index.php?main_page=document_general_info&products_id=211

Those are the right adapters.

The school indoors will be quite pleasant. It's warm enough inside. Also, for computing courses, you won't be leaving the main building much, so a coat is really only useful for the walk in/out.

Those are the right adapters.

The school indoors will be quite pleasant. It's warm enough inside. Also, for computing courses, you won't be leaving the main building much, so a coat is really only useful for the walk in/out.

Thanks again (: Haha I wont be staying in school during the weekends! Are the indoors warm enough for just a long sleeve top and jeans?

warm enough for a t-shirt if you feel like it

warm enough for a t-shirt if you feel like it

Oh no now I really don't know what sort of clothes to bring! T.T

Advertisement