Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uncharted 2:Among Thieves

Options
  • 15-10-2009 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Anyone got the game yet? Know of anywhere selling it yet? Any midnight launches etc.
    Would love to get my hands on it now, if i could that is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

My local xtravision isnt selling it til tomorrow and they sold fifa10 a day early a few weeks ago so I doubt it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

The release date was broken tonight, ie sold a day early, so it should be available if you can find a 24hr shop that sells games

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Got it last night too in Gamestop, it seems like it was on sale in most places after 6 yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Any idea who has the best bricks-and-mortar price on this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Someone mentioned HMV having it for 44.99 in the PS3 forum, but i'm not 100% sure who though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Kiith wrote: »
    Someone mentioned HMV having it for 44.99 in the PS3 forum, but i'm not 100% sure who though.
    I was down in HMV Dundrum there and they didn't have it at all yet. Didn't ask why. So i went up to Game and it was there for €54.99. Was trading in a game so i didn't mind too much. Would have traded it in in HMV if they had f had the game. Playing through it now. Pretty damn good so far, but i ain't got into the meat and bones of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

It is €45 in HMV alright seen it for that price in the Blanchardstown store .

Gamestop have it for €50 and Game for €55 .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm guessing no one is posting on here about it yet because they are all hooked into playing it :D. I'm just pulling myself away for 5 minutes to say "Wow"... I haven't been this impressed with a game in a long time.

It plays like a well directed, well written movie but equally holds onto vacuum like levels of immersion. I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight, when they say there is no real lulls or let up in the pace they wheren't kidding.

The attention to detail is astounding. I actually can't remember the last time a game has impressed me on so many levels, the audio, the visuals, the banter between the characters.

I stopped and took a photo just there of where I'm at currently. It really doesn't do it any justice though. The wind in the trees and grass, even Drakes hair moves in the wind. It's a detail you'll maybe only notice a handful of times in the game yet it's been included. The body physics is also amazing, like in the screenshot I took that has drakes foot lifted to rest on the root. How the character moves and interacts with the world around him feels real and fluid.

Anyway, I'm getting back to it. If you where looking for that incentive to invest in a PS3, well this is it.

93410.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm guessing no one is posting on here about it yet because they are all hooked into playing it :D. I'm just pulling myself away for 5 minutes to say "Wow"... I haven't been this impressed with a game in a long time.

It plays like a well directed, well written movie but equally holds onto vacuum like levels of immersion. I don't think I'll be sleeping tonight, when they say there is no real lulls or let up in the pace they wheren't kidding.

The attention to detail is astounding. I actually can't remember the last time a game has impressed me on so many levels, the audio, the visuals, the banter between the characters.

I stopped and took a photo just there of where I'm at currently. It really doesn't do it any justice though. The wind in the trees and grass, even Drakes hair moves in the wind. It's a detail you'll maybe only notice a handful of times in the game yet it's been included. The body physics is also amazing, like in the screenshot I took that has drakes foot lifted to rest on the root. How the character moves and interacts with the world around him feels real and fluid.

Anyway, I'm getting back to it. If you where looking for that incentive to invest in a PS3, well this is it.

93410.jpg

Puff...:o

noodler wrote: »
    Puff...:o

you callin' me gay? reported. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 eoin91

new to the site and have to say it is very good site.
    getting this game tomorrow in dundrum for 65euro.its the special edition and it looks worth the extra 20 euro

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Well near the end of the game and its very good so far. Gameplay, characters and story (in that cheesy B movie sort of way) are are all top notch. The set pieces are very spectacular with lots of "phew that was close!" moments. They got rid of quick time events which is great and I also like the fact your not magically invulnerable during hand to hand combat. Good pacing and variety in level design and gameplay.

Funny you posted that particular shot from the game Leimrod. That was the view that made me go........"hmm its no Crysis when it comes to long range views". I thought the distant scenery looked pretty poor. I was very impressed with the game graphically with the snowy area.

I'm playing the game on my PC monitor and at this range the game doesn't hold as well as you would think graphically. I've seen the old late texture pop in back from the first Uncharted, bad aliasing (not really an issue when playing on a big TV though)and character pop up/fade in. Its still a good game graphically just not blown away by it.

The other gripe I have is with the A.I both friend and foe seems pretty poor. First thing I noticed was the enemy A.I completely ignored my friendly A.I even though they where a foot away from each other and they both just sat there doing nothing. Waiting for me to come back. Your friendly A.I's are indestructible and just run out in the open and are often just ignored by the enemy (probably because they know they can't kill em). Enemy A.I is adequete overall but a bit limited. It still doesn't ruin the core gameplay but it is noticeable.

Final final gripe. Since when did everyone become master climbers. Everyone in the game can scale everything. Kinda belittles Drakes skill set when everyone else can do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Azza wrote: »
    Final final gripe. Since when did everyone become master climbers. Everyone in the game can scale everything. Kinda belittles Drakes skill set when everyone else can do it.

Actually I kind of like the fact that characters comment on their inability compared to Drake. Sully in particular often needs a hand to get up some of the more difficult climbs, which is a nice touch. Yeah most of them are profoundly talented climbers, but there has been a few times so far I've noticed witty little references to Drake being better than everyone else
    (Heist section for example)

But I'd agree with most positive things said here. I think Uncharted games are the closest we'll ever get to an Indiana Jones (1-3!) quality series, and this sequel isn't disappointing so far. Set pieces are a highlight
    such as the ludicrously epic opening and helicopter fight, which is where I'm at now
    , and the technology is superb - also took a few minutes to admire that view L3mr0d posted - fantastic art design. The cutscenes and story are genuinely interesting, and I love the cheesiness of the dialogue
    ("Enemy above you, enemy above you!" [enemy thrown off a roof] "Enemy below you, enemy below you!")
    . It is a great action game, B-movie style with A-grade slickness and production values.

I'm playing the game on my PC monitor and at this range the game doesn't hold as well as you would think graphically. I've seen the old late texture pop in back from the first Uncharted, bad aliasing (not really an issue when playing on a big TV though)and character pop up/fade in. Its still a good game graphically just not blown away by it.

Well that's not a fair comparison. The game is running at 720p (1280x720). You run Crysis at that resolution on your PC monitor and it will look atrocious. This game is meant for a HD TV and with the viewer sat 5 to 6 ft away from it.

Anyway, I agree, graphically it's not better than Crysis, but that's a moot point tbh. Apples and Oranges.

What is really impressing me so far (I must be close to the end now) Is the sheer variety of environments and the attention to detail in all of them. I mean I recently finished RE5 and there was maybe 1 area where I stopped and said "wow, look at the detail in this place". The same was true in the last tomb raider, I think you walk in to a clearing and look over a vista maybe twice. But in Drakes fortune there is a jaw dropping panorama or set piece every 10 minutes. If it's not some dramatic encounter it's looking over a view that will make your eyes bleed.

I really can't get over how well designed the levels are. Your progression is fluid and you never feel like you are in a box, going through the motions to move forward.

There's also loads of little things that have been impressing me, like how when you take out Drakes journal, it isn't just a pause menu. One time I took his journal out and because I was standing directly under the sun I couldn't see the pages as the reflection was too bright, so I had to close it and move into the shade. It's little things like that that add to the overall feeling of realism and authenticity in the game, whilst also retaining it's OTT action movie feel.

This game is what I'd hoped Indie 4 was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

game of the year without a shadowof a doubt

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I get what your saying Leimr0d, aliasing will be present in any game at 720p when my playing on a PC monitor but the other issues I mentioned graphically would not be fixed by playing further away.

Anyway finished it now and while I think it was slightly over hyped its still a great game. As for game of the year, I'm not sure yet, waiting for Dragon Age Origins before making my mind up.

the other issues I mentioned graphically would not be fixed by playing further away.

I completed it there myself earlier and I can't actually remember any bad texture pop in. Was there a particular area where you noticed it? It's usually something I notice myself. The recent Bionic Commando TPS had it really bad at the start of each level. I usually had to stand around for a few seconds to wait for all the textures to load.

Overall I thought it ended well, albeit somewhat suddenly.
    (the final fight could of been more involved)

Will probably be jumping right back into it on the hard difficulty. If you see me online and want to try out the coop give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I completed it there myself earlier and I can't actually remember any bad texture pop in. Was there a particular area where you noticed it? It's usually something I notice myself.

I have to say that there was almost no texture pop in at all in the game for me, but i did notice it happen a couple of times way off in the distance. Once i saw some water textures pop in depending on the angle of the camera when Drake was standing in the same space
    the first time you fight with the 'Demon Sasquatch'
    . Some building textures did pop in but they were way off in the distance. But i was really looking for it though because i was so in awe of how good it looked. Bit sad really. I know.

I think that Naughty Dog were very clever with thier level design which allowed the playstation to cope with the game, no slowdown what-so-ever. They introduced some sections, like when you squeeze through a crack in a wall, probably to allow texture loading.
    I cannot recommend this game enough for everyone who has a PS3. Go buy it NOW.

I'll be up for some co-op some time too. Bought myself an offical PS3 mic the other day for it too. I had a **** one before and the signal quality was terrible so i decided to splash out. It's realy good, well, compared to my old one that is. Co-op is fun, tried it there last night. I think i'll be playing this game for some time to come. Both online, and offline.
    Feel free to add me if you wanna play online.
    PSN: briankearon666

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Goin by Azzas review it doesnt seem like a reason to buy a PS3.

I would like to give it a go, maybe take a lend off a friend for a few days.

Azza, how many hours roughly are needed to complete it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Goin by Azzas review it doesnt seem like a reason to buy a PS3.

I would like to give it a go, maybe take a lend off a friend for a few days.

It is a reason to buy a PS3, the best reason to buy a PS3, but it is not enough in itself to justify a PS3. No game on any console can be the only reason for its purchase IMO.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Azza, how many hours roughly are needed to complete it ?

It takes about 12 hours to complete, God knows how many more on Crushing [currently attempting this]. What U1 was missing was something to bring you back, U2 has this with the multiplayer system. Co-op, team deathmatches, 'plunder' [CTF mode] etc. really adds a lot to this game.

I will be coming back to this game quite a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Chuckle, chuckle

Uncharted.jpg

Advertisement