Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to carlow!

Options
  • 15-10-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello hello
    I'm frm Singapore and will be heading to Carlow around Nov with 3 other friends for our one month internship!
    So I was wondering.. how is it like there?
    Just really general questions like.. how's the weather, is racism prominent, whats is it famous for, what to do there, how are the food (super important), how is the chinese food there, yadda yadda
    That sorta thing. Hehe

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

unfortunately the serach function is down, as there has been many useful threads on this subject that would of been good to see.

the weather is the same as all of Ireland really, once November comes it'll be cold and wet thats the normal anyway. by cold I mean during the day it may be anywhere from 3-10 degrees celcius on average., at night it may reach lows of 0 to - 5 generally not much below 0 in November though.

racism is not prominent in Carlow, there are many foreign nationals in Carlow and they seem to get on well here.

food there is a large array of restaurants in Carlow, off hand I can think of 6 chinese ones, and the food is good in any I've tried. there are indians, mexican and Thai restaurants as well as general food ones also.

as I'm in work cant type longer but I'm sure other regulars will contribute more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 hismasterpiece

patrickc wrote: »
    unfortunately the serach function is down, as there has been many useful threads on this subject that would of been good to see.

the weather is the same as all of Ireland really, once November comes it'll be cold and wet thats the normal anyway. by cold I mean during the day it may be anywhere from 3-10 degrees celcius on average., at night it may reach lows of 0 to - 5 generally not much below 0 in November though.

yeah i would have done a search if i could, ahha im sure its annoying replying the same questions again and again.
    oh crap, so cold! temp here is sg is like... 28 degrees on normal days! does it get really windy?
    patrickc wrote: »
    racism is not prominent in Carlow, there are many foreign nationals in Carlow and they seem to get on well here.

food there is a large array of restaurants in Carlow, off hand I can think of 6 chinese ones, and the food is good in any I've tried. there are indians, mexican and Thai restaurants as well as general food ones also.

as I'm in work cant type longer but I'm sure other regulars will contribute more
    whew i was scared about racism, wouldn't wanna get shot while I'm there. Are there very few asians there?
    hehe as long as the food is good, im happy (:

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

There's a lot of asians here. Lots of asian students in IT Carlow. It can be quite windy at times, which of course, adds to the coldness.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    There's a lot of asians here. Lots of asian students in IT Carlow. It can be quite windy at times, which of course, adds to the coldness.

Oh, good. Cause I'll be interning in IT Carlow. Haha.
    Oh no I can so see myself wrapped up like a dumpling when I'm there! T.T

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

yeah i would have done a search if i could, ahha im sure its annoying replying the same questions again and again.
    oh crap, so cold! temp here is sg is like... 28 degrees on normal days! does it get really windy?

whew i was scared about racism, wouldn't wanna get shot while I'm there. Are there very few asians there?

thanks!

Autumn and Winter weather is a bit hit and miss here, rather than 'cold' I'd say it gets more miserable than anything. Up to this point its been relatively mild and surprisingly dry, but once we hit November it get wet and chilly out, its not until Jan-Feb-March that it gets really cold with any chance of snow. Typical November temps would be anywhere between 5/6c to 12c during the day. Just bring something to protect you from the rain more so than the cold. Again, like the temps, the wind isnt so severe here, in fact, its been a longggg time since we had any sort of semi destructive winds (we're over due a good storm its seems), but usually November-December are the months for any potential storms, it'll get blowy at times, but nothing hurricane like! :)

There are a number of Asian restaurants in town, they've become quite popular the past few years and thus there are a lot of Asian staff working them and living in town, so, you certainly wont be alone in that regard.

May I ask what course you'll be doing in the IT?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

thanks!

Dreadful racism in Carlow. The townies dislike the culchies & vice versa!:D

As for understanding the townies - I need an interpretor.

On a more serious note, there is very little hassle except from the few nutters who you would find in every town / city in the world. Due to the college and the many multinational companies operating in the area it is quite a diverse population for a town of just 25,000 people.

Whilst I'm not from the town, I've always regarded it as a progressive location for business and has a lot going for it.

mcaul wrote: »

Perhaps a translation is in order for hismasterpiece ;), a 'culchie' is one whom resides in the countryside, or other areas far away from built up urban districts, also known as 'stick men', 'boggers', 'sheep sha**ers' and or 'farmers', the latter phrase is often wrongly applied to those living in the countryside by those whom reside in the towns who assume that all country folk are farmers and work the land.

Translation supplied by Croppypedia......:p

Autumn and Winter weather is a bit hit and miss here, rather than 'cold' I'd say it gets more miserable than anything. Up to this point its been relatively mild and surprisingly dry, but once we hit November it get wet and chilly out, its not until Jan-Feb-March that it gets really cold with any chance of snow. Typical November temps would be anywhere between 5/6c to 12c during the day. Just bring something to protect you from the rain more so than the cold. Again, like the temps, the wind isnt so severe here, in fact, its been a longggg time since we had any sort of semi destructive winds (we're over due a good storm its seems), but usually November-December are the months for any potential storms, it'll get blowy at times, but nothing hurricane like! :)

There are a number of Asian restaurants in town, they've become quite popular the past few years and thus there are a lot of Asian staff working them and living in town, so, you certainly wont be alone in that regard.

May I ask what course you'll be doing in the IT?

I'm scared of the cold though. I shiver under 18 degrees aircon here in Sg. Lol.
    I don't actually know what I'm doing there, school sucks that way. But I have a feeling I'll be at the Game Programming side. I'm an animator though, so hopefully there's 3D work to be done. I really hate coding. ):

mcaul wrote: »

As for understanding the townies - I need an interpretor.

On a more serious note, there is very little hassle except from the few nutters who you would find in every town / city in the world. Due to the college and the many multinational companies operating in the area it is quite a diverse population for a town of just 25,000 people.

Whilst I'm not from the town, I've always regarded it as a progressive location for business and has a lot going for it.
    Perhaps a translation is in order for hismasterpiece ;), a 'culchie' is one whom resides in the countryside, or other areas far away from built up urban districts, also known as 'stick men', 'boggers', 'sheep sha**ers' and or 'farmers', the latter phrase is often wrongly applied to those living in the countryside by those whom reside in the towns who assume that all country folk are farmers and work the land.

Haha thanks for the translation. I wanted to ask but decided not to look stupid. Haha.
    Looks safe there then. Hm. Are there any good attractions there?
    Is eating out or cooking at home cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Correct me here if I am wrong but I thought that "Culchie's" described anyone from outide the Pale.
    Arent we all in fact "Culchie's"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

I'm not I'm a jackeen on loan

The Gish wrote: »
    Correct me here if I am wrong but I thought that "Culchie's" described anyone from outide the Pale.
    Arent we all in fact "Culchie's"

Nah, thats just a misconception on the part of the Jackeens whom assume that all those whom do not reside within the walls of there fabulous city are uneduacated, illiterate and neanderthal like :pac:

Lol, you guys lost me again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Yeah that's going to happen a lot haha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Haha thanks for the translation. I wanted to ask but decided not to look stupid. Haha.
    Looks safe there then. Hm. Are there any good attractions there?
    Is eating out or cooking at home cheaper?

Good Attractions: In town? none really. The Brownshill Dolmen is on the edge of town. There plenty of nice scenery and a number of church/castle ruins in the hinterland but you need a car to get around. There's a castle ruin in town but tbh it's nothing spectacular. If you've never seen swans before they're often on the river Barrow beside the town park

Things to do: cinema, 10pin bowling, snooker/pool, indoor swimming pool, walking, brand new state-of-the-art theatre/art gallery. I'm sure there are activities in the IT too.
    Of course, this being Ireland we have a wide selection of pubs :D.

Food:
    Cooking at home is much cheaper. We don't have a culture of eating out so we don't have the cheap restaurants and street stalls commonly found in Asia.
    There are a number of take-aways and a few restaurants (with waiter service, alcohol license,background music, etc) which serve Chinese, Malaysian, Thai and Indian food. Most of them don't open until around 6pm though.

European food is served in many pubs and restaurants, usually from noon to 8/9pm. Then you have the global brands such as McDonald's, KFC, PizzaHut, Domino and Subway.
    Culchie / Jackeen not considered offensive (not by anyone I know anyway) and is used in jest.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culchie
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackeen
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pale

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

One thing to remember about the cold in Ireland - its a damp cold so -2 could feel as cold as -10+ in drier countries. Once you are prepared its not a problem. Try to wear lots of thin layers as opposed a single big thick layer of clothing.

Carlow is a beautiful part of the country - If you are into walking the Blackstairs mountain range can be spectacular on a crisp dry winters day.

The Barrow river is also worth a walk if you have time and an interest is being outdoors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Annie ros

hi, my first post here.
    Try the tourist office on College Street (in the Library buildings) for information on the town and county. For walks in the Blackstairs Tullow Mountaineering Club and the Blackstairs Ramblers do regular walks. But you'd near to wrap up well at this time of year.

Advertisement