Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Butchers

• 15-10-2009 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I use Flanagans to get all my fish - can't beat it.

Now I am looking for a really good butchers but no-one seems to know. When I say good, I mean value and quality (e.g. Flanagans)

I see in some Butchers a leg of lamb can be like €30 whereas a frozen one from New Zealand in Dunnes is €13 and scrum. I dont have the money to be saying "ewww it's Irish lamb like" so NZ lamb does the trick - for example.

This weekend I discover Dunnes don't do that anymore and the replacement is smaller Irish lamb which looks really fatty and cheap, so not for me.

Now I am looking for a Butcher who does lamb etc at a good price. I have used Kielys on Michael Street a bit and they are good but sometimes half of their counter is stuff I dont eat like Bacon, Tripe and all that stuff. I'd prefer nice cuts of Beef, Lamb, Venison, Pork etc..

Anyone any recommendations??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

mozattack wrote: »
    Hi all,

I use Flanagans to get all my fish - can't beat it.

Now I am looking for a really good butchers but no-one seems to know. When I say good, I mean value and quality (e.g. Flanagans)

I see in some Butchers a leg of lamb can be like €30 whereas a frozen one from New Zealand in Dunnes is €13 and scrum. I dont have the money to be saying "ewww it's Irish lamb like" so NZ lamb does the trick - for example.

This weekend I discover Dunnes don't do that anymore and the replacement is smaller Irish lamb which looks really fatty and cheap, so not for me.

Now I am looking for a Butcher who does lamb etc at a good price. I have used Kielys on Michael Street a bit and they are good but sometimes half of their counter is stuff I dont eat like Bacon, Tripe and all that stuff. I'd prefer nice cuts of Beef, Lamb, Venison, Pork etc..

Anyone any recommendations??
    your very picky aint ya!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

the one on upper yellow road (just after the lantern) is supposed to be fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

chap on the indus estate on the old kilmeaden road supplies a lot of butchers and takeaways in the town also sells to the public .
    he does a massive range of meat fresh/frozen and other stuff like southern fried chicken/battered fish/spring rolls and even cakes.
    cheapest ive found by a mile
    i can pm his name and number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i always found the butcher besides algys hairdessers goood value in town here and the butchers in tescos in lisduggan good too,flynns butchers in town besides mcdonnells is good aswell and phelans butchers just down from flynns was good aswelll but i dont know if there still there now and bobbys butcher out in ballytruckel is good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

one i use is Joe Molloy's....
    not sure if you call him a butcher.... he has a place up in the Norhtern IDA extension.. beside the post office... he is only open to the public Thursday and Friday... they supply the food trade all week...
    there is no counter just a couple of printed pages with lists everything they have...
    its all good quality, very fresh and great value all year long....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

i always found the butcher besides algys hairdessers goood value in town here and the butchers in tescos in lisduggan good too,flynns butchers in town besides mcdonnells is good aswell and phelans butchers just down from flynns was good aswelll but i dont know if there still there now and bobbys butcher out in ballytruckel is good too

most excessive use of the word good .:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

SUNGOD wrote: »
    chap on the indus estate on the old kilmeaden road supplies a lot of butchers and takeaways in the town also sells to the public .
    he does a massive range of meat fresh/frozen and other stuff like southern fried chicken/battered fish/spring rolls and even cakes.
    cheapest ive found by a mile
    i can pm his name and number

what unit number is he in? heard he was very good alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

south wrote: »
    what unit number is he in? heard he was very good alright

not sure of number it is the second row in..behind kavanaghs paints
    if you want his number let me know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I used to be a buthcher in Superquinn and I always liked all the stock in there and I've tried alot of places. But it really depends on what you are looking for IMO.

sometimes the best steaks or beef can be found in the older Butchers cause you know they are prob been hung for too long meaning it'll be tender out (for example in france they hang the meat till there is actually mold on it).

Put for examplt chicken stock is way way better to be bought in a newer place like say superquinn.

my 0.02 cent anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

anplaya wrote: »
    most excessive use of the word good .:pac:

well op did ask 4 a good butchers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

true.:).i tend to use kielys myself,the one in micheal street,however most of the butchers in town are grand sure.

Advertisement