Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ladies Soccer in the city

Options
  • 15-10-2009 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

Are there any ladies soccer clubs in or around the city? It's only an indoor league at the university this year :(
    And are they open?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Look to the County Galway link where Mars Bar single handedly established a ladies soccer club in Tuam and by all accounts they have great numbers, played a few friendlies and seemingly are willing to travel. They have won a few matches as well so it might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Thank you Dec!

Twilighter, I'm gonna go back and dig out a recent post I put up about this exact topic.

*back in a min*

*back!*

Copied and Pasted:
    "The Galway League:
    Well there is Renmore ladies, Salthill (they have a few national players, if you're in it for the fun, I'd stay away!), Ashe Rovers (not too far behind Salthill, serious club, got beaten by Salthill on Sunday in Terryland), Oranbay 90 (Oranmore), G.U.S.T (Galway United Supporters Trust, not too sure where they are based, they won silverware on Sunday against Oranbay), if you wanna go north, then the newest team is Tuam Celtic who I play for. We are joining the Galway League which starts in May next year, we have played 7 matches so far and hope to train through the winter where most of the clubs are finishing now after playing in the league.

I assume you don't want to go any more north but there is Dunmore who won the Roscommon League the last few years and Moylough. Glen Celtic (Glenamadday) play in that league also I think."

Update: we've played 8 matches now!

Ladies soccer is picking up in Galway. Loughrea, Athenry and Kinvara (I think) are trying to establish teams to enter the league next May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Cool, I'm really interested in playing. I stopped playing when I was 12 and would love to pick it up again, i know the game inside out.

I'm new to Galway but how far away is Tuam from the city? I think Salthill is closer isn't it?

Thanks for all your help! (Y)

Hey, yes Salthill is closer but as I have said, it's a very very tough team. If you haven't played since you were 12, you'll spend most of your time on the bench at Salthill, may never even get a look in. They have national players on their team.
    When I played with Cregmore (a now defunct team), Salthill put out their second string team and they hammered us at least 15-0. We got passed our half way line twice. It was not nice at all.

Renmore sounds like it'd be more down your line, or Oranbay. Both teams that just have 11-12 players so the chances of you playing games is quite high.

Tuam is about a half an hour away, depending on traffic. I can get a contact for Renmore if you if you want?

Glad to help!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Twilighter

Yeah a contact for Renmore would be fab thanks (:
    I checked and there's a bus that goes out there so hopefully it'll suit me and everything!

Wow, I'm excited now ha

Advertisement