Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If we had German levels of state efficiency...

Options
  • 15-10-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

Look at the statistics :
    4.2 million Irish, 330k public sector works; 7.9% of the population.
    82million Germans, 4.5 million PS workers (according to their own statistics office), 5.5% of the population.

If we had the same efficiency / ratio as the germans we would have / be paying only 231,000 public servants, a saving of 99,000 public servants, @ the c.s.o. average of 50k a year each , total saving € 4,950,000,000 ( obviously gross pay , not net pay ).

If those 99,000 unproductive public servants were productively employed ( for example, making cars for export , or entertaining tourists, or making leprecauns for sale , or whatever gathers revenue ) think of the revenue that could be gathered for the government. Givers to the govt coffers instead of takers.

Bear in mind the Germans have larger armed forces than we do per head, so we could save the expenditure on a few thousand people there too. ;)

Thats how we could save 5 billion a year, and still pay our government employees as much as we do, ....of course our govt would still have to borrow something like 20 billion this year just to keep going...so if we cut the pay of the remaining 231,000 public servants then we may achieve savings of 7 or 8 billion.

Of course critics will argue that owing to the small size of the country / lack of economy of scale we will need slightly more than the 231,000 public servants.

If / when public sector numbers are reduced, obviously other things will have to be looked at...eg German teachers get only 6 weeks summer holidays,...our hse staff take 19 sickies a year etc. Its time our taxpayers got efficiency + value for money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

How long do you propose that Irish teachers get for holidays? Given that it will not save you any money whatsoever, by keeping schools open for longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

jimmmy wrote: »
    Look at the statistics :
    4.2 million Irish, 330k public sector works; 7.9% of the population.
    82million Germans, 4.5 million PS workers (according to their own statistics office), 5.5% of the population..
    Can you give a breakdown of the German PS workers, by organisation and a link to your source?

I'd like to know if you're comparing like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

jimmmy wrote: »
    Look at the statistics :

Bear in mind the Germans have larger armed forces than we do per head, so we could save the expenditure on a few thousand people there too. ;)

Bear in mind they also have conscription too, I would nearly rejoin just to have a day of induction for the new intake People like... I don't know... I suppose people who have nothing to do except spend their days/hours contributing to threads/forums that constantly verbally attack the average PS worker!! ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can you give a breakdown of the German PS workers, by organisation and a link to your source?
    I'd like to know if you're comparing like with like.

Just on that note:
    That's not readily available. Due to the federal nature of Germany, public sector workers either work for the state directly (eg. soldiers), for the Bundesland (eg. teachers) or even the county or town council (eg. town clerks).

A lot of organisations transcendent that structure. In the police for example there is state police and Bundesland police, the same goes for customs and revenue. Depending which Bundesland is the employer, payment terms and other conditions may even differ for the same job even though there is a pay scale that is supposed to be universal.

Also there is the differentiation between civil servants and public sector workers which makes the collation of data even more difficult.

In short ...I couldn't find anything on who works where :D

http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Content/Statistics/FinanzenSteuern/PublicService/PublicServicePersonnel/Aktuell,templateId=renderPrint.psml

but here's a little picture to add some colour to this post

Personal,property=image.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

I don't mean to point out the glaringly obvious, but comparing us to Germany won't work in any reasonable way. Frankfurt alone has more GDP than Ireland and Spain combined on an average week.

As for the "as a percentage of population" that's actually not an indicator of policy at all, as we don't know what their population is like. How many of them are retired? How many are still in school?

Can you get figures that show what percentage of the workforce in Germany is in the public sector? Ireland's figure is 26.6%, as of ESRI's last count.

I'd expect Germany to have a lower public sector a sa percentage, as larger countries can usually avoid some duplication of labour in government departments. This doesn't work for most of the public sector though, education, health, security, councils, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

#15 wrote: »
    How long do you propose that Irish teachers get for holidays? Given that it will not save you any money whatsoever, by keeping schools open for longer.

Shorter holidays actually save lots of money on a household level, I guess I don't need to explain.

Not to mention that the children learn more. Irish holidays/days off are among the longest in Europe, arent' t they? It's a siginificant step back knowledge wise for a kid to have such a long break. They actually know much less than they knew at the end of previous year when they come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

peasant wrote: »
    Just on that note:
    That's not readily available. Due to the federal nature of Germany, public sector workers either work for the state directly (eg. soldiers), for the Bundesland (eg. teachers) or even the county or town council (eg. town clerks).

A lot of organisations transcendent that structure. In the police for example there is state police and Bundesland police, the same goes for customs and revenue. Depending which Bundesland is the employer, payment terms and other conditions may even differ for the same job even though there is a pay scale that is supposed to be universal.

Also there is the differentiation between civil servants and public sector workers which makes the collation of data even more difficult.

In short ...I couldn't find anything on who works where :D

http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Content/Statistics/FinanzenSteuern/PublicService/PublicServicePersonnel/Aktuell,templateId=renderPrint.psml

but here's a little picture to add some colour to this post

Personal,property=image.gif

Well 1 thing that is blindingly obvious from the above graph is that in the 10 years to 07 they have cut public servants by what 650k or 12.5%. And it would appear that they stratigically decided to lower the number of full time positions as it is a nice steady decline. What way has the graph gone for Ireland in those 10 years? I think that highlights why Germany will pull out of recesion about 3 years before we will

I can't see why we can't strive to have a similar ratio of PS to Population as Germany, They provide the same (better?) services that our guys provide and yes while there may be some economies of scale under absolutely no circumstances can that explain the huge difference. How can this be justified??

We need a dramatic cut in public sector number, get it down to 300k asap and then have a 5 year plan to get it to 250-260k. Its pure madness to have so many PS in this country

herya wrote: »
    Shorter holidays actually save lots of money on a household level, I guess I don't need to explain.

Actually, you do. The thread is about cutting costs in the public sector, how is keeping schools open longer going to cut costs?

Not to mention that the children learn more. Irish holidays/days off are among the longest in Europe, arent' t they?

Instruction time is what matters. We are actually better than the Germans in that respect.

93322.gif

It's a siginificant step back knowledge wise for a kid to have such a long break. They actually know much less than they knew at the end of previous year when they come back.

Yes, and German children also suffer from a 6 week break.
    They 'actually know much less than they knew at the end of previous year when they come back''. They would be better off having a one week break.

You are just making a general argument to shorten holidays without any real thought.

I would be in favour of a different holiday structure myself, based on educational grounds. But that is nothing to do with cutting costs in the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Instruction time is what matters. We are actually better than the Germans in that respect.

Its worth noting the German education system is not well regarded in Germany. They frequently score poorly in international comparisons (PISA study).

There is always plently of talk of educational reform in politics.

There are plently of areas where I would like to see Ireland more like Germany. I'm not sure Education is one of them though. Our Education system is by no mean the worst aspect of our public service (Health and Transport get that accolade).

Actually, you do. The thread is about cutting costs in the public sector, how is keeping schools open longer going to cut costs?

93322.gif

Yes, and German children also suffer from a 6 week break.
    They 'actually know much less than they knew at the end of previous year when they come back''. They would be better off having a one week break.

You are just making a general argument to shorten holidays without any real thought.

I would be in favour of a different holiday structure myself, based on educational grounds. But that is nothing to do with cutting costs in the public sector.

How about ye keep yer 3 months summer holiday but don't CHARGE to supervise exams, CHARGE to correct exams, CHARGE to walk around a yard for half an hour, have mandatory seminars, conferences etc during the summer to improve education, teaching methods, the curriculum etc. They could do all of this and still have 6 weeks off in the summer

God know teachers are getting paid enough to have all this covered in their salary

• Advertisement

Tipp Man wrote: »

We need a dramatic cut in public sector number, get it down to 300k asap and then have a 5 year plan to get it to 250-260k. Its pure madness to have so many PS in this country

I agree with this. But how do you propose to cut things dramatically? Surely we can't just sack the excess staff?

How about ye keep yer 3 months summer holiday but don't CHARGE to supervise exams,

I'm a primary teacher, I don't have 3 months summer holiday, I don't charge to supervise exams.
    CHARGE to correct exams,

I don't do that either.
    CHARGE to walk around a yard for half an hour,

Our school has parents supervising at lunchtimes. No teacher in our school does yard duty.
    I agree that there should not be a wage allowance for yard duty.

have mandatory seminars, conferences etc during the summer to improve education, teaching methods,

Great, who will fund this?

Teachers already take courses during the summer.
    the curriculum etc.

Curriculum is under the control of the NCCA, not the teachers.

I can't comment on secondary education, but the primary curriculum is excellent (the only flaw is that IT is not a seperate subject, but even if it was, its possible that we wouldn't get the funding to implement it).
    Good know teachers are getting paid enough to have all this covered in their salary

You seem to think that all teachers get the same salary.

I agree with this. But how do you propose to cut things dramatically? Surely we can't just sack the excess staff?

First off the government would need a good idea of how many people it actually needs in each department, then go through each department, starting with health, and assess where and how many specific jobs are needed. So go to a hospital and ask how many secretaries do you need, how many nurses, consultants, cleaners whatever come up with a number for the hospital and that is all this hospital is allowed to employ but now and in the future. Once you have the number a recruitment policy should be set up to fill all the posts in the hospital, all people not recruited are effectively made redundant. Then next department. Give it a timeframe of a year to complete

All of this would have to be done independantly of course and yes it would cause a bit of pain but the sharper and faster the pain the better in the long run

Of course it will never happen but thats what needs to be done

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Its worth noting the German education system is not well regarded in Germany. They frequently score poorly in international comparisons (PISA study).

There is always plently of talk of educational reform in politics.

There are plently of areas where I would like to see Ireland more like Germany. I'm not sure Education is one of them though. Our Education system is by no mean the worst aspect of our public service (Health and Transport get that accolade).

I know. I hate their education system, from what I know of it.

I would hate to see us move towards their education system. I know a few teachers in Germany, they explained to me how the streaming system doesn't work, and basically facilitates the lower ability children to feel like failures.

I can't fault the German transport system though. At last in comparison to ours.

Can you get figures that show what percentage of the workforce in Germany is in the public sector? Ireland's figure is 26.6%, as of ESRI's last count.

Germany has a workforce of just over 43million. Giving them a public sevice work force percentage of around 9%.

http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Content/Statistics/Arbeitsmarkt/content75/Eckwertetabelle,templateId=renderPrint.psml

You seem to think that all teachers get the same salary.

We as you can tell my post was obviously directed at secondary teachers as oppossed to primary teachers

I don't know of any secondary teachers (and I know a lot of them) who attend seminars during the summer

Also please explain the above, for secondary all teachers on the same grade earn the same salary (assuming degrees etc are same) and they increase at the same rate. I really don't understand what you mean by this??

Germany has a workforce of just over 43million. Giving them a public sevice work force percentage of around 9%.

http://www.destatis.de/jetspeed/portal/cms/Sites/destatis/Internet/EN/Content/Statistics/Arbeitsmarkt/content75/Eckwertetabelle,templateId=renderPrint.psml

Hold on now are you seriously telling me that Germany has 9% of the workforce in the public sector while we have 26%?? Seriously you having me on here. your trying to wind me up cause you know how much i want the public sector to be slashed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Has anyone ever tried to deal with their public service? I have and I must say it is very hard to get things done but from what I can see it is down to the attitude the workers take (they take things personally as if when they are making a decision e.g. the dole, they think it is their money they are spending) and because Germans lack flexibility in general.

If we could cut the wage costs and still keep the flexibility that the Irish have then we could be in a better position than Germany.

As much as I am for slashing the Public Sector costs people must remember there are economies of scale in operation in Germany that we do not have here.

We as you can tell my post was obviously directed at secondary teachers as oppossed to primary teachers

OK
    I don't know of any secondary teachers (and I know a lot of them) who attend seminars during the summer

I can't speak for secondary teachers.
    If you feel like you have reason to slate them, go right ahead, but please clarify in future posts. Teachers includes both primary and secondary.

Also please explain the above, for secondary all teachers on the same grade earn the same salary (assuming degrees etc are same) and they increase at the same rate. I really don't understand what you mean by this??

Everyone on the same point on the scale earns the same salary, but not everyone is on the same point on the scale.

Obviously.:)

Hold on now are you seriously telling me that Germany has 9% of the workforce in the public sector while we have 26%?? Seriously you having me on here. your trying to wind me up cause you know how much i want the public sector to be slashed

Where are you getting the 26% from?

We have a work force of just over 2.2million (see CSO) and a Public Sector (according to a poster in this thread) of 330,000. That gives about 15%.

• Advertisement

I can't speak for secondary teachers.
    If you feel like you have reason to slate them, go right ahead, but please clarify in future posts. Teachers includes both primary and secondary.

Just on teachers and comparison with Germany. According to their statistics Germany has an average student/teacher ratio of 18.5:1 in Primary school and 15.3:1 in the Secondary school.

See: https://www-ec.destatis.de/csp/shop/sfg/bpm.html.cms.cBroker.cls?cmspath=struktur,vollanzeige.csp&ID=1024524 and look at page 46 of the PDF download. It varies across states but is only in one state (Hessen) is it over 20:1.

By contrast we have a student teacher ratio in Primary school of 27:1. In that sense Irish teachers are much more efficient.

Where are you getting the 26% from?

We have a work force of just over 2.2million (see CSO) and a Public Sector (according to a poster in this thread) of 330,000. That gives about 15%.

It was in the thread that you quoted??

Anyway i didn't think about it (late lunch!!) so as you say it is 15%, although i thought there was 360k PS employees, either way its somewhere between 15-16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well, Irish male primary school teachers earn €64k average and female teachers €56k average.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html

It was in the thread that you quoted??

Sorry, I thought it was you that had originally put the 26% figures around. It was someone else.

gurramok wrote: »
    Well, Irish male primary school teachers earn €64k average and female teachers €56k average.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0416/teachers.html

That is slightly misleading as it includes principals as well as ordinary teachers. In large primary schools the principal doesn't actually teach.

However,
    Here are the payscales. It goes from 33k to 63k excluding allowance which typically add another 6.5k to that figure. Plus many teachers actually start on the 3rd point on the payscale.

So most will start on 40k and finish around 70k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Teachers ... It goes from 33k to 63k excluding allowance which typically add another 6.5k to that figure. Plus many teachers actually start on the 3rd point on the payscale.

So most will start on 40k and finish around 70k.

Which is roughly 20% - 25% too much. Especially if you count in that they roughly only work 9 months a year.

realcam wrote: »
    Which is roughly 20% - 25% too much. Especially if you count in that they roughly only work 9 months a year.

That depends on what you count as work. Do you just include instruction time? Or preparation time? Are you referring to primary or secondary? Or both?

A 25% pay cut would be fair, if the cost of living falls by about 30% or 40%.

May I ask what job you have?

I am wondering how qualified you are to be able to make such definitive claims about the salaries of other workers.
    Paying tax does not make you qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

How do you know that the way they count their public sector is the same as we count ours? For example, are all the state-owned utility companies included?

How do you know that the way they count their public sector is the same as we count ours? For example, are all the state-owned utility companies included?

I have no idea. Just doing some back of the envelope calculations to get a sense of it. If you want to have a better stab at it go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

First off the government would need a good idea of how many people it actually needs in each department, then go through each department, starting with health, and assess where and how many specific jobs are needed. So go to a hospital and ask how many secretaries do you need, how many nurses, consultants, cleaners whatever come up with a number for the hospital and that is all this hospital is allowed to employ but now and in the future. Once you have the number a recruitment policy should be set up to fill all the posts in the hospital, all people not recruited are effectively made redundant. Then next department. Give it a timeframe of a year to complete

All of this would have to be done independantly of course and yes it would cause a bit of pain but the sharper and faster the pain the better in the long run

Of course it will never happen but thats what needs to be done

Before you start sacking nurses, doctors, cleaners, health care assistants, teachers etc., let's start with the top dogs.

Reduce the number of TD's to 100 (if not less). Then reduce their salaries to €50,000pa. Ministers would be paid €60,000. The post of Junior Minister should be abolished. No TD shouldl be allowed to collect a ministerial pension while drawing a TD's salary. No retired Minister should draw both a ministerial and a TD's pension. All expenses to be vouched.

Having done that, we move on to quangos - get rid of the lot.

Also get rid of the Board of the HSE. We have a Minister for Health - no need to pay a group of people to do the job she's meant to do.

Judges' salaries and those of higher civil servants should also be reduced to €50,000pa.

Once that's done by all means look at reducing the pay of ordinary public sector workers.

And before you say "We can't do that - if we reduce their pay like that no-one will want to be a TD. If we pay peanuts we get monkeys" let me point out that we pay politicians exorbitant salaries and would have been better off if we'd had monkeys governing us

Advertisement