Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Murrays irish beer

• 15-10-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

I had this beer in the Czech inn (templebar) during the week and I was wondering does anybody know anything about it (specifically its % alcohol)
    It was a dark larger/fizzy ale, which tasted sort of like a german dunkel or other eastern european dark beers, 1st pint was quiet drinkable but after that the extreme sweetness makes it hard to drink (it tastes like fermentation has been stopped before the full strength has been reached)
    The only other place selling it as far as I have seen is Murray's on O'connel street which has the posters up for it (posters do show a golden larger though :confused: )
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Every Czech brewery makes a dark lager, and most have an amber one as well.

Might it have been Velkopopovický Kozel? I've seen that a few places in light and dark form. Or Konrad, or Staropramen or Gambrinus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

Its an irish beer well thats what the posters said "murrays irish beer" unless its some sort of rebranding thing, which is why I'm curious because was at the beer festival in the park and it wasn't there and as far as I know there isn't really that many small breweries here.
    unless its made by Murray's bar themselves but would be suprised if its them doing it.also the Czech Inn already sell those beers so can't see why they'd relabel something that their customers may already know

Oh right. Sorry. There's a house dark lager called Pifko Premium sold at the Pifko pub on Usher's Quay. It is, to the best of my knowledge, made at Messrs Maguire. The most likely explanation is that this is a different batch out of MM.

And thanks for the heads-up. I must go check it out.

Well, I went for a pint of the Murray's house lager and absolutely loved it: big spicy hop flavours at a serving temperature high enough so you can taste them, and a dinky dimpled pint mug.

Definitely a pale lager though:
    murrays.jpg

I guess I'll have to go to the Czech Inn to see if there's a dark one as you mentioned (it could well be that they hooked something else up to the wrong tap), though it just occurs to me that after leaving Murray's I could have just nipped into The Living Room around the corner where they probably have it as well :rolleyes:

OP, are you sure the beer you had wasn't this one:
    th_saris.jpg
    Šariš Tmavé? I noticed they didn't have a proper badge for it, so they could have been mixing it up with the Murray's on your visit (Murray's is definitely definitely a pale lager -- my new theory is that it might be a rebadge of Franciscan Well Boh Pils).

Šariš Tmavé is indeed very very sweet, even by the standards of central European dark lager. The ABV is 4.1%.

• Advertisement
Advertisement