Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a nice lunch on Christmas day in Dublin/Kildare

Options
  • 15-10-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

we are having our first Christmas at home since our wedding - my in-laws will be down the country as will my parents, brother and his partner - I am pregnant (hope to be 24 weeks at that stage) and am very car sick with the pregnancy (which is why we can not be with family) - we would like to have a nice lunch out - does anyone have any suggestions for places? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

when i was pregnant last year, i was also car sick,so bad that i couldnt even drive myself to work, but then a girl at work told me to eat a few cashew nuts, they are brillant, just a handful when you feel sick, i always had a little container of them in the car when i was travelling!

!:)On the eating out part of Christmas day , i cant help you there, but i do know that when i was a chef 10 years ago, any place that was doing xmas lunch/dinner was a complete rip off... so if himself is anyway good in the kitchen you should encourage him to put on his apron and rattle those pots and pans!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

wantolose wrote: »
    when i was pregnant last year, i was also car sick,so bad that i couldnt even drive myself to work, but then a girl at work told me to eat a few cashew nuts, they are brillant, just a handful when you feel sick, i always had a little container of them in the car when i was travelling!

!:)On the eating out part of Christmas day , i cant help you there, but i do know that when i was a chef 10 years ago, any place that was doing xmas lunch/dinner was a complete rip off... so if himself is anyway good in the kitchen you should encourage him to put on his apron and rattle those pots and pans!!!:rolleyes:
    Thanks for the cashew tip, they are great! Am looking at the menus (even for a Christmas lunch a few days before) as we will be having our first Christmas at home/lunch near home (both sets of parents will be a few hours drive away and I am not up to driving that far)...point is all the Christmas menus that I have seen are all filled with food that you can not eat when pregnant...does anyone know anywhere that is more maternity friendly?

I know that the hubby will be a great cook over Christmas but I would like him to have an easy day too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm not too sure about restaurants that'll do Christmas lunch for you, if you can't find one maybe you could get someone to cater it for you? I work just above a Butlers Pantry and last year I was tripping over people basically picking up their whole christmas dinner to just throw in the oven on the day. They are expensive but I can vouch for them based on their baked goods :)

I'd say if you did get some sneaky catering done most places would be very helpful in selecting ingredients that you can can enjoy with the Bump.

http://www.thebutlerspantry.ie/Food_Christmas_Dinner.aspx?id=123

Marks & Spencer also do great Christmas food that just needs to be thrown in the oven, it mostly comes in its own roasting dish as well so it's literally just into the oven, onto the plate, throw away foil packages :) minimal cleaning up involved

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Christmas-Food-to-Order-E-Catalogues-Whats-New/b/64294031

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

I'll vouch for the M&S dinner, great ! But for hotels, we're maybe looking for one too. Citywest do it, I think the hotel at the top of Newbridge, not sure of name, do too, as well as some in Naas. If we book one i'll let ya know (She'll be 26 weeks then), but now am leaning towards the M&S menu...

ghosttown wrote: »
    I'll vouch for the M&S dinner, great ! But for hotels, we're maybe looking for one too. Citywest do it, I think the hotel at the top of Newbridge, not sure of name, do too, as well as some in Naas. If we book one i'll let ya know (She'll be 26 weeks then), but now am leaning towards the M&S menu...
    I will hopefully be around the same stage...the thing is that the menus tend to involve either blue cheese or smoked salmon or shellfish which are all no-no's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

OH vegetarian, so ok there, just once she keeps drinking her lucozade i'll be ok !!:)

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Thanks for the cashew tip, they are great! Am looking at the menus (even for a Christmas lunch a few days before) as we will be having our first Christmas at home/lunch near home (both sets of parents will be a few hours drive away and I am not up to driving that far)...point is all the Christmas menus that I have seen are all filled with food that you can not eat when pregnant...does anyone know anywhere that is more maternity friendly?

I know that the hubby will be a great cook over Christmas but I would like him to have an easy day too.

hey cathymoran, did the cashew nuts work for you, they were a lifesaver for me last year, i must haven eaten a ton of them!!:D

wantolose wrote: »
    hey cathymoran, did the cashew nuts work for you, they were a lifesaver for me last year, i must haven eaten a ton of them!!:D
    They have been a handy source of additional calories - have been finding it very hard to maintain my weight and am getting worried - the morning sickness is back with a vengence now though...they do help though.

if you drink tea, try and have it really strong with just a drop of milk and some mcvites digestives, or jacobs cream crackers with a tiny bit of butter on them, i also found them very good, i remember i couldnt eat chicken or cheese for weeks, even the words chicken or cheese would make me throw up, when i went to do the shopping i would have to avoid that area in tescos altogether, but thank god that only lasted a few weeks, towards the end if i could have got away with it i would have eaten a big mac or pepperoni pizza all day every day, but hubbie wouldnt let me, he is very good at cooking so he would have done alot of cooking for the first few weeks and then towards the end, i think the thing is that when you get up in the morning make sure you eat something small, dry toast or crackers, dont let yourself get hungry, i figured that out after a few weeks, because when i did i felt myslf gettng sick, and then i wouldnt be able to eat and it was a nightmare for the day, anyways best of luck:)

Advertisement