Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me some books

• 15-10-2009 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I've ran out of authors...! Something in the same style of David Gemmell :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Smuckie wrote: »
    I've ran out of authors...! Something in the same style of David Gemmell :)
    Telling us the authors whose stuff you've already read might save everyone a bit of time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Can't think of anyone who writes like Gemmell...

um
    If you like the violence and action of gemmell you could look up Terry Goodkind's earlier stuff.
    If you like the inspirational aspect and the non-overuse of magic then you might like Nation by Terry Pratchett (no really...)
    If you like Jon Shannow, you might like the dark tower books by stephen king

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭granite man

Almost anything by Michael Moorcock, read and judge for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Grey2k

The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Week's, new author but best I have read in quite a while, alot of new idea's and great twists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Grey2k wrote: »
    The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Week's, new author but best I have read in quite a while, alot of new idea's and great twists.

+1, great series.

Also try Peter Brett's The Painted Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

No idea who David Gemmell is, so I don't know if he's closer to sci-fi or fantasy.

If it's fantasy though, I recommend The Coldfire Trilogy, C.S. Friedman.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

I've found that James Barclays books have a similar kinda soul to them as Gemmils, he is my new Gemmil. Definately worth a read.

Best Fantasy books ever though have to be Ericksons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Harmsden

Read Robert E Howard. His prose is a breathless, sweaty wrestle in the mud and his stories are crammed with fear and gore and wonder. Pure escapism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Harmsden wrote: »
    Read Robert E Howard. His prose is a breathless, sweaty wrestle in the mud and his stories are crammed with fear and gore and wonder. Pure escapism.

+1 for Robert E Howard

Also if you like Gemmell then Glen Cook and his Black Company novels might be your cup of tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I didn't think I'd like The Painted Man as much as I did. +1 that recommendation.
    If you can pick up a Conan anthology then go for it. There are some brilliant and really accessable stories ready to be sucked into.

• Advertisement
Advertisement