Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trip to Anfield

• 15-10-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭

I'm taking my youngfella over to Anfield next Tuesday to see the Lyon match. Now I'm not a footie fan myself and he's mad into Liverpool so I thought it'd be something he'll always remember. Anyway.....

For those of you who've done the trip. Any advice? Anything that's really worth doing? Anything to avoid? What kind of stuff should I bring?

We're doing the ferry thing (which I'm not really looking forward to, but it was cheap). We get into Liverpool city at around 2pm. Kickoff is 7.45pm. My sister lives in Manchester and she's driving down so we're meeting up with her at some point and will have access to a car because of that.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Khannie wrote: »
    I'm taking my youngfella over to Anfield next Tuesday to see the Lyon match. Now I'm not a footie fan myself and he's mad into Liverpool so I thought it'd be something he'll always remember. Anyway.....

For those of you who've done the trip. Any advice? Anything that's really worth doing? Anything to avoid? What kind of stuff should I bring?

We're doing the ferry thing (which I'm not really looking forward to, but it was cheap). We get into Liverpool city at around 2pm. Kickoff is 7.45pm. My sister lives in Manchester and she's driving down so we're meeting up with her at some point and will have access to a car because of that.

If you're arriving that early, try and get into the museum. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's a stadium tour available because it's a matchday, but if he's mad into Liverpool he'd appreciate seeing the trophey's.

I've done it myself back in 1996 and it's stayed with me. Great seeing a bit of history, which is of course a big part of being a Liverpool supporter. Plus nowadays they've got an actual European Cup there on account of winning it 5 times, when I was there I only saw the 4 replicas. The Hillsborough Memorial and Shankley Gates are also must see outside the stadium.

Once you head down though, stay there until the game. So I'd meet your sister nearer the city centre (the area around Lime St Station, I'm sure most buses from the ferry go there) and eat and whatever then head down early to try and get into the museum before kick-off.

Also if you are there early you'll get to see the player's arriving from the coach. Wait outside the player's entrance if you think it'd be something he'd like.

https://bookings.liverpoolfc.tv/stadiumtours/booking/selecttour.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Also it's a European night at Anfield. The kid needs no extra entertainment. Best atmosphere in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Not a Liverpool fan myself but do it and Everton away every season, can't offer any great advice as obviously we'd be going in away pubs etc. but I will say it's a fantastic stadium and Anfield is a unique experience.

Hope you and your son have a brilliant time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

8-10 wrote: »
    Also it's a European night at Anfield. The kid needs no extra entertainment. Best atmosphere in England.

:rolleyes:
    Doesn't take much to hold that title in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm going to this too, can't f***ing wait to be honest.

i'll only arrive in city at 5, but if i was arriving earlier the museum would be a must.

also just going to the centre, around the superstore area is great craic on matchday.

this will be my first european night at anfield, so i've no idea what to really expect in terms of craic in the city.

in terms of in the stadium, the hairs stand on the back of the next just thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

baz2009 wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    Doesn't take much to hold that title in fairness.

Still hold it so your little rolleyes is pointless.

The musem is a must anyway, best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Any advice?

Wait for your sister and get her to bring you up to Manchester :P

I'm kidding! Great experience for your son, i remember my brother bringing me to Old Trafford when i was a kid, loved every minute of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

For the love of God, take him to Old Trafford, Khannie.

Don't saddle the lad with a childhood bereft of league titles. :pac:

stovelid wrote: »
    For the love of God, take him to Old Trafford, Khannie.

Don't saddle the lad with a childhood bereft of league titles. :pac:

so instead bring him to a place that will teach him to only 'sing when you're winning.', and to go quiet when your team needs support.

go for it.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Not a pool fan myself but took my bf there for his 30th, you have to see the hillsboro memorial, musuem would be good idea and if you can see the players coming in be great for him to.
    hope you enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

SlickRic wrote: »
    so instead bring him to a place that will teach him to only 'sing when you're winning.', and to go quiet when your team needs support.

go for it.

:D

OR boo your team when they go top of the league... this could turn into another one of those threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Khannie, just go and enjoy it, I'm sure tha lad will be bowled over. I remember my 1st visit to a big game and it was amazing.

Please UTD fans dont turn this into a UTD v Liv thread. The guy just asked for advice on what to do on the night.

RasTa wrote: »
    OR boo your team when they go top of the league... this could turn into another one of those threads.

yeah, that really did grind my gears.

but anyway, yeah i reckon we stop now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

messrs wrote: »
    Not a pool fan myself but took my bf there for his 30th, you have to see the hillsboro memorial, musuem would be good idea and if you can see the players coming in be great for him to.
    hope you enjoy!

well now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thanks very much for all the replies. Appreciate it. It'll be an experience for me too. Never really got into footie but I'm looking forward to this big time. I'll have to investigate some of the anthems before we head over. :)

RasTa wrote: »

Plenty of boos at halftime at OT v Sunderland.

Idiots at every ground I guess.

OP, have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

As a Dad be ready to become very emotional at the end of the night when he thanks you for the best night of his life.

Let us know how you got on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Don't forget to buy him a balloon before the game.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I thought the museums at the Docks were the best entertainment other than football.

Where the ground is if there is not a tour on there is very little to do bar have a walk in the park that seperates the two grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Well....we had a great day. It's hard going being up early and only getting home at that hour off the boat, but the tour company (barrys tours) were spot on. To be fair it was only 400 euro all in for the two of us and I knew it was going to be a long day. The reality of it is just harsh enough when you're in work the next day. :)

Great experience though. Went into the museum before the match which was nice. Walked around the stadium a bit too. Great buzz. Coming up the steps into the stadium itself was powerful stuff. The crowd was great. I got hugged from behind after the disallowed goal and the actual goal. :D First half Liverpool played well. 2nd half....well....bit of a disaster. The youngfella was gutted, but we picked that match because it was gonna be a tough one.

Weirdly, I thought the Lyon supporters were much more vocal (even when they were down) despite being heavily outnumbered. We were close enough to them though so that may have affected the way I perceived their noise level.

Anyway, great day overall. Worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Well....we had a great day. It's hard going being up early and only getting home at that hour off the boat, but the tour company (barrys tours) were spot on. To be fair it was only 400 euro all in for the two of us and I knew it was going to be a long day. The reality of it is just harsh enough when you're in work the next day. :)

Great experience though. Went into the museum before the match which was nice. Walked around the stadium a bit too. Great buzz. Coming up the steps into the stadium itself was powerful stuff. The crowd was great. I got hugged from behind after the disallowed goal and the actual goal. :D First half Liverpool played well. 2nd half....well....bit of a disaster. The youngfella was gutted, but we picked that match because it was gonna be a tough one.

Weirdly, I thought the Lyon supporters were much more vocal (even when they were down) despite being heavily outnumbered. We were close enough to them though so that may have affected the way I perceived their noise level.

Anyway, great day overall. Worth every penny.

Great to hear you had a good time. Unfortunatly Anfield like most grounds in England is a former shadow of it's once glorious self and now even on European nights the atmosphere is shocking. I'd actually say the only decent atmosphere for games now is the United and Everton home games and if we draw a big club in the Champions league latter stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Have you asked for a refund yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

You will always get that with away fans. Hardcore!!

Glad you enjoyed.

Advertisement