Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging beef

Options
  • 15-10-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've noticed the discussion developing on Argentinian beef v Irish...I would have agreed that after visiting Argentina, the beef is far tastier, however, I was intrigued that according to one poster this was due to hanging and that the same beef could be replicated here.

I would like to eat like an Argentinian again - how can I get my steak to taste the same? Can you hang meet in your own house or can you ask a butcher to do so? I live in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

It won't work if you hang it in your own house. You need to ask your butcher if they stock aged beef - 21 day aged is good.

In the UK, Jaimie Oliver and Sainsburys got together and started stocking vaccuum packed aged steaks - 21 day sirloins etc. It was pretty excellent...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

as sweeper said, hanging at home won't work, it needs to be in an quality controlled environment, to prevent bacteria etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Some of the supermarkets have hung meat as part of their overall range now, it would probably be under their luxury brand and/or organic. Its also dearer....
    Alternatively the local butcher until recently would have been the source of best quality meat but I must say in the past few years I've been very disappointed. Many no longer hang the meat (you can tell because its red colour is too bright and/or its watery tasting), and its become increasingly difficult to find proper meat if you don't know the source. Whether this is because more butchers now buy from slaughterhouses like the supermarkets who don't hang the meat, or because the supermarkets introduced people to non hung meat I don't know.

(hung meat-heh heh)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Find a reputable butcher and ask them for beef hung for min 3 weeks - or longer but you might have to buy a large quantity as they may not have other buyers for more than 3-week hung, it develops a deeper flavour which is not to everyone's taste.

Most good butchers will have 3week hung beef.

Advertisement