Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heuston to Kent at 5pm on a Friday

• 15-10-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Scenario: I've a conference to attend until 1530 at Trinity. I must get the 1700 (there's no way I'd make the 1600) train service from Heuston to Kent to be at a dinner in Cork for 8. Is this possible?

How jammers is the LUAS likely to be, and how packed is the train likely to be? If I book my seat in advance, am I guaranteed to actually be sitting in it for the journey down to Cork??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Scenario 2: I fly. How much are taxis from the airport to the city centre these days and, roughly, how long does it take to get to and from, at about 1530?

I'd apreciate all advise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, it is possible. You can walk from TCD to Heuston in 30-40 minutes. This means you are an hour early for the train.

If the event ends early, you should be able to use the 1600 train with the same ticket. But do go ahead and book a ticket.

When you arrive in Cork, be ready to run for a taxi (out the main entrance and on your right - the signs can be confusing though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Heuston! or else try the Space Shuttle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭rednik

Get the tram from Abbey Street and you will have no problem but should be almost full at Jervis with a lot exiting at Heuston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

If you leave Trinity at 15.30 and get any of these busses from Pearse Street (directly opposite Garda station), you should be at Heuston by 15.50, even on a Friday! 25, 25A, 26, 66, 66A, 66B, 67, 67A. Any of them will drop you at Parkgate Street and 1 minutes walk from Heuston.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I would say get the bus. If your out the gap quick smart, you will make the 4. Book the 5 though. Dont fly. I fly sometimes if the offers are really cheap. But thats the only reason to fly. It takes just as long with more stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I work near Trinity and when I go for a train, I always walk to Heuston. The Luas is packed on Friday evenings and even if you get on at the start, you still have to get squashed by Jervis.

Plus it's not really that far, 30 mins is plenty time so long as you're walking briskly. Michael Graham on Newstalk has that effect on me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

you could get the 90 or 92 from outside USIT on the quays just past O'Connell Bridge, at that time you should get to Heuston in loads of time for the 5, usually not as full at that time as the Luas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I would say get the bus too from USIT. They are pretty regular, 90, 91 and 92 I think all go there.

I have never booked a ticket online so can't advise there but I would say if you are queueing at 4.20 ish you will be fine for a seat. you should be in cork for about 7.30ish, where/what area you need to go for dinner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Furet wrote: »
    Scenario: I've a conference to attend until 1530 at Trinity. I must get the 1700 (there's no way I'd make the 1600) train service from Heuston to Kent to be at a dinner in Cork for 8. Is this possible?

How jammers is the LUAS likely to be, and how packed is the train likely to be? If I book my seat in advance, am I guaranteed to actually be sitting in it for the journey down to Cork??

If time is of the essence, why don't you just get a taxi to Heustonfor the sake of €7-€8? By the time you have walked to and waited for the LUAS/90, you will be the guts of a mile down the road. A taxi to the airport from Trinity will be €20-€25 plus 45 minutes travel plus time prior to boarding plus your air ticket price plus travel from Cork airport plus that taxi fare.

• Advertisement

Furet. did you make the 1600.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Colm R wrote: »
    I would say get the bus. If your out the gap quick smart, you will make the 4. Book the 5 though. Dont fly. I fly sometimes if the offers are really cheap. But thats the only reason to fly. It takes just as long with more stress.

Unless I'm missing a major improvement to the bus service, there's no way the 5pm would make it to Cork for 8?

Stark wrote: »
    Unless I'm missing a major improvement to the bus service, there's no way the 5pm would make it to Cork for 8?

Sorry, should have been clear. Get the bus to Heuston is what I meant. Although, with the new road south of Culahill, an express bus would make a pretty good stab at 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Colm R wrote: »
    Furet. did you make the 1600.

I was asking for someone else who will be traveling in a few weeks' time. Thanks for all the advice lads.

Advertisement