Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buttercups

Options
  • 15-10-2009 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

what's the best way to remove/kill buttercups.our garden/field is over run.last year i tried weedkiller but that didn't touch it only the grass.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'm afraid that buttercups like rushes are a sign of damp ground, the last few summers will add to any underlying problems...
    If the area isn't too large maybe some of the weed 'n feed might help

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Any good lawn weedkiller will work eg Verdone. The key is to be very accurate with the dose rate. Follow the instructions closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

have you tried to physically remove them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

old boy wrote: »
    have you tried to physically remove them

My Dad sticks a knife into the root of these and takes off the leafs that are left loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Discodog wrote: »
    Any good lawn weedkiller will work eg Verdone. The key is to be very accurate with the dose rate. Follow the instructions closely.

+1 on the verdone extra... but you will probably need up to 3 applications
    as the buttercup usually have a large seed bank in the soil and the more mature weeds can recover after one application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

cheers all.i'll be busy with the weed killer what with these and the clover:rolleyes: only have 1/2 acre to sort out:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do bear in mind that now is not a good time to start. Weedkillers work best when the weeds are actively growing. You may be able to get some kill now but you will definitely need to re-apply in the Spring.

There is quite a good lawn planner here:

http://www.lovethegarden.com/its-gro-time/lawn-planner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

Discodog wrote: »
    Do bear in mind that now is not a good time to start. Weedkillers work best when the weeds are actively growing. You may be able to get some kill now but you will definitely need to re-apply in the Spring.

There is quite a good lawn planner here:

http://www.lovethegarden.com/its-gro-time/lawn-planner.html

thanks for the link very helpful.i'll leave it until we get "summer":D

Advertisement