Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lense help.

• 15-10-2009 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I'm looking into getting new lenses. At the moment i just have the standard 18-55mm.

Can someone please tell me the difference between

Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM Lens (can pick up for €220 bran new)

and

Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM. (can pick up for €160 bran new)

Would anyone reccomend these lenses? I'm just starting off so don't exactly have €800 to spend on a lense and i found these ones.

Also found this one

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens (can pick up for €180 bran new)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

you can pick up an EF 70-200mm F4L for 450-500euro second hand in Ireland, check adverts.ie you will be very happy with that lens. you can also get it new from hong kong on ebay for around 500euro but you might have to pay import tax

heres a review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

Just edited in the prices.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I have a 70-300mm IS f/4 - f/5.6. Works well enough for me, but using the IS properly needs practice, and while IS is sometimes handy it is of little to no help with sports photography. This lens is not as expensive ( and also optically not as good ) as the 70-200 f/4. It has a longer reach but the difference between 200mm & 300mm is not huge. (The difference between 50 & 85mm is far greater. ) Also, in our cloudy weather, f/5.6 is a pretty small aperture when you are trying to keep your shutter speed at 1/500, which is about what you need at 300mm.

If I was doing it all again I'd go for the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS but that is what would suit my photography best.

Finally, I woul recommend eBay (but you need to research it to do well out of it) and I would avoid buying lenses from outside the Eu as I have been caught for import duties in the past...

Cheers, FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

For your price range a 2nd hand 70-200L f4

so none of the above lenses would be recommended then??

• Advertisement

Not really, once you get better at Photography you will want a better lens, It may seem dearer now but in the long run it's cheaper.

dizbo wrote: »
    so none of the above lenses would be recommended then??

do you want ok image quality or do you want excellent image quality?
    the 70-200mm f4L is a great value lens

Ok well any tips on telling a good lense from a bad lense. Like looking at them lenses they seem ok. i'm not going to be wanting mad expensive lenses yet. I am just starting of and it'll only be my first lense purchase.

Like.... If i go on adverts.ie how can i tell a good second hand lense for €150 compared to the bran new lense above for €150?

BranD

Well all the above are canon???? Is canon not good?? I thought it was???

Is this the lense you guys are talking about?? http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=646

• Advertisement

Ok well any tips on telling a good lense from a bad lense. Like looking at them lenses they seem ok. i'm not going to be wanting mad expensive lenses yet. I am just starting of and it'll only be my first lense purchase.

Like.... If i go on adverts.ie how can i tell a good second hand lense for €150 compared to the bran new lense above for €150?

canon zoom lens reviews http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx

canon prime lens reviews http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Lens-Reviews.aspx

Arsenal are a great team but it doesn't mean every player is great. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Is this the lense you guys are talking about?? http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=646

Firstly ..... dont look at that website - they are regarded as scammers.

Secondly - the cheaper lens will be ok for starting off - HOWEVER - like everyone else here has hinted, you might be better off purchasing a more professional lens - as the more into it you get the more you will upgrade or want to upgrade your lenses.

so while I agree with the others advising you to purchase a better quality lens my advise is - go with what you can afford - go into a shop and test the different lenses, and if you can decide which lens you want to purchase - then by all means.. buy it (online or in a shop)

PS there is a lot of quality lenses on adverts/ebay and other sites.

ok well can you tell me what the like of "L" or "USM" stands for. and the f4 or f4-5.6 whats all that about??? And is it better that its higher or lower.... Maybe that would help me understand lenses a bit more????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I think you might need to do some research online before investing in anything.

USM - Ultrasonic Motor ...means its quieter than a "normal" lens when focussing
    L - not 100% but the professional series lenses are 'L' Lenses.

theres usually a mark ll version of lenses - meaning the second version - with slight improvements on original.

I think you have a lot of reading to do OP.

as regards F-stop.... the lower the number the better it will work in low light.... you should research and understand the relationship between aperture (f-stop)...usually on a camera seen as 'AV' and shutter speed usually 'TV'.

Well hense why i'm asking the questions here. I've been doing a lot of reading that why i thought for example the one with the Mk III i thought was a decent lense..

ok well can you tell me what the like of "L" or "USM" stands for. and the f4 or f4-5.6 whats all that about??? And is it better that its higher or lower.... Maybe that would help me understand lenses a bit more????
    L is what canon put on their professional lenses. USM means that the autofocus is quiet, ultra sonic motor. no other lens brands uses L or USM but usually have their own versions

this will explain what the numbers on lens mean

http://www.photography101.org/basics/how_to_choose_a_lens.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Qwikpix

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Firstly ..... dont look at that website - they are regarded as scammers.

It's not right to say something like that in a public forum. I bought a lovely Canon 100mm 2.8 macro from them about two months ago. The customer service was superb and the lens was delivered perfectly packaged and promptly by DHL.

Qwikpix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Qwikpix wrote: »
    It's not right to say something like that in a public forum. I bought a lovely Canon 100mm 2.8 macro from them about two months ago. The customer service was superb and the lens was delivered perfectly packaged and promptly by DHL.

Qwikpix

He's wording might be a bit harsh but there are alot of horror stories about the company. It is a public forum after all, so people can take what they like from what other people say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement