Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I still use WEP

Options
  • 15-10-2009 9:28pm

I have eircom wireless broadband with a netopia 2247 router. I picked up a few other signals in my neighbourhood and they're all using WPA2-PSK. I still use the security that was enabled when I got my router from Eircom, WEP. Am I stupid to not bother changing? I know WEP can be easily cracked but really is this one of those ultra unneccessary security precautions? What dangers am I open to if I keep WEP?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'd change the code at least!!

check this site.

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Its fine. 99.9% of people have neither the know-how nor motivation to crack a WEP connection. Even if they did, so someone else uses your wireless for free, it is not exactly the end of the world. Swapping to WPA2 is easy though, it would only take you a few seconds.

i'd change the code at least!!

check this site.

http://s4dd.yore.ma/eircom/

lol that just gave me my exact code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

Zillah wrote: »
    Its fine. 99.9% of people have neither the know-how nor motivation to crack a WEP connection. Even if they did, so someone else uses your wireless for free, it is not exactly the end of the world. Swapping to WPA2 is easy though, it would only take you a few seconds.

Can someone please explain to me how WPA2 PSK is more secure than WEP?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

hello932 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me how WPA2 PSK is more secure than WEP?

It's a different protocol, works completely differently uses different encoding. Best place to read about it is Google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

lol that just gave me my exact code.
    Of course it did. The original WEP key is created by using a simple enough algorithm which can easily be reverse-engineered using the name of your WiFi connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It would take less time to change it than to keep posting about it here!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement