Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40D to New 7D

• 15-10-2009 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

I have two 40D's at the moment and I am considerings to upgrade one of them to the new 7D, has anyone on the forum purchased one yet, if you have what are you're thoughts of the camera, or is it early days yet as some suppliers are still only taking backorders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What do you shoot Fireman?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Rael

Fireman wrote: »
    I have two 40D's at the moment and I am considerings to upgrade one of them to the new 7D, has anyone on the forum purchased one yet, if you have what are you're thoughts of the camera, or is it early days yet as some suppliers are still only taking backorders

I have one on order with Kathy in Gunn's. It should hopefully be in within the next two weeks. Will let you know then what I think about it, but until then, have a look at this review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

its a step up from the 40d but the image quality wont be an improvement.
    Id prefer to get a 5d mk1 myself as it has much better image quality than 40/50d and 7d tho autofocus isnt as good as them, what are you shooting?

From what I have seen its hard to beat a large pixel pitch such as the 5dmk1 and the 1dmk3.

Borderfox wrote: »
    From what I have seen its hard to beat a large pixel pitch such as the 5dmk1 and the 1dmk3.

I think if canon kept the 50d at 10mp they could have improved high iso performance by a genuine 1stop

the 1d mk3 squeezes 25% more pixels onto the sensor compared with the mk2 but they improved high iso by at least 1 stop, they havent done that with the xxd's since 10d>20d, all theyve done is worked on in camera noise reduction software to hide the extra noise from smaller pixels

• Advertisement

Nikon have the right idea with the D3 series in keeping the same 12mp sensor and building around that.

Borderfox wrote: »
    Nikon have the right idea with the D3 series in keeping the same 12mp sensor and building around that.

definitely, I cant understand people complaining that its not a huge upgrade. there was not much wrong with the d3, its almost perfection(except you cant mount canon lenses on it)
    they made it even better in low light and gave it a bigger buffer. If I had the spare money lying around I'd buy one just of music photography with the new 24-70mm f2.8, prob wouldnt even need f1.4 or f2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

That's a fantastic view for the 7D, long and very very detailed.
    As crop Camera's go its the new numero uno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I was thinking of upgrading to the 7D from my 40D as well.
    The high fps gets it for me over the 5D plus it's price.
    Works out at €1100 (body) in B&H in New York...
    Considering it's approx €1800 (body) here I definitely consider it worth my while to head over :D
    Even with flights/accomdation at least I'll get some nice pics over there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Rael

Just to let you know, Gunn's have quoted me €1498 for the body. Flights, accomodation and the cost of the camera will come to more than that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

That's a really really good price from Gunns! It's £1700 in Warehouse Express!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not a bad price at all...althought €400 in the difference is scandalous.
    Do Gunns have a website by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Berkut wrote: »
    Not a bad price at all...althought €400 in the difference is scandalous.
    Do Gunns have a website by the way?

Conns are charging €1700 which makes me think the Warehouse Express price can't be right.

Gunns don't have a web site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

Sorry everyone I have been on the forum since yesterday to answer, I shoot just about everything motor sport football plays etc, but for profit I do a lot of portraits communions christenings etc and a few weddings

Regards

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Fireman wrote: »
    Sorry everyone I have been on the forum since yesterday to answer, I shoot just about everything motor sport football plays etc, but for profit I do a lot of portraits communions christenings etc and a few weddings

Regards

Bold bits would be great with a 5D.

Advertisement