Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Infrastructure Off-Topic Thread!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

And www.openstreetmap.org has by far the best mapping of the new motorways out there. Lots of work to do in the countryside tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They mapped every road in Ireland with GPS as they drove along .

Hopefully we'll have some long overdue extensive updates so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

And www.openstreetmap.org has by far the best mapping of the new motorways out there. Lots of work to do in the countryside tho.

I was looking for that one:D

It's pretty good for updates but some areas are not covered at all. Limerick doesnt have all of Castletroy or Raheen marked on thier mapping when zoomed in.

Can someone tell me whos responsible for google earth. Can google earth give ireland independance, and make the republic of google ireland site! We could update it daily not every iceage!

KevR wrote: »
    I wonder did Google collect any mapping data while they were going around doing the Street View thing? If they did, we might see some map updates when Street View launches for Ireland.

They have, I have friends who said they seen it around. Limerick, Dublin and a few other places.

That was a year ago however. It's getting really annoying now. Belfast has been on it for ages. Dublin is probably the only capital western city in the world thats not on google street map.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They did Connemara at the same time they did Dublin . The amount of data collected is stupendous .

I would think they could do the roads map first ( and very very easily) but pinning the graphics to the relevant road the pictures were taken from will be a big big job.

One of the regulars even spotted them Street Viewing Athlone-Ballinasloe after it opened.

Even London Street View is only main roads right now , not every city street .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    One of the regulars even spotted them Street Viewing Athlone-Ballinasloe after it opened.

That was me! I was heading East and they were on the Westbound carriageway near the Ballinasloe end so the obviously had just come the whole way from Monksland.

mysterious wrote: »
    I was looking for that one:D

It's pretty good for updates but some areas are not covered at all. Limerick doesnt have all of Castletroy or Raheen marked on thier mapping when zoomed in.

Can someone tell me whos responsible for google earth. Can google earth give ireland independance, and make the republic of google ireland site! We could update it daily not every iceage!

Yeah its fantastic for updates and I just fill in bits whenever I've been somewhere that isnt mapped.

The reason large chunks are unmapped is Yahoo. Yahoo allow you to 'trace' the streets manually on OSM, but unfortunately any area that doesnt have good ariel photography with Yahoo cant be traced. And you cant use Google mapping or others as that is breaking copyright and you need Googles position. OSM is designed to be completely free.

Look at the area round Cork and Midleton on OSM, and the detail-drawn roads are like a box. Thats the limit on what Yahoo photos provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

Hey lads anybody hear of TollTag.ie?

I was thinking of getting their 'pay as you toll' tag. I don't use toll roads often but since the Waterford bypass has now opened I know that I will be passing through them more often.

Since moving to cork this year I now travel to Waterford/Wexford at least once a month and Dublin (Fermoy bypass) only once every 2-3 months.

So at €30 to buy the tag is it worth it at all???

attachment.php?attachmentid=95311&d=1257384364

Why can't I zooom in and out and move the cursor on the openstreetmap website.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

mysterious wrote: »
    Why can't I zooom in and out and move the cursor on the openstreetmap website.

Zoom is done with the zoom bar at the right side and I think you can use the mouse wheel too.

Moving is done with the arrows at the top right - I've no idea why the keyboard arrows don't work.

• Advertisement

Hey lads anybody hear of TollTag.ie?

So at €30 to buy the tag is it worth it at all???

Really the cost involved in having the tag is for the convenience of not having to stop or root for change. The tag could partly/fully pay for itself if you use the M50 sometimes as you pay a lesser toll charge.

You could lease a tag. On that TollTag pricing table it says you can lease it for €1.21 per month (you wouldn't be paying the €30 then I think). As far as I know eFlow have tags that you can lease for €1 per month (no money for the tag up front but if you keep it for more than 2 and a half years it will end up costing more than the €30 one-off payment at the beginning).

I don't have a tag at the moment but I'm probably going to get one when the Galway-Ballinasloe motorway opens. Really just for the convenience. I use the M50 occassionaly so the tag will partly pay for itself. Probably just pay €30 and buy it out-right rather then leasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just today I read this story in the paper: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...r-1935802.html

These people annoy me so much. They are everywhere in Cork as well. What is it about a sh.it.ty little car that makes these youths, walking stereotypes all, feel brave enough to shout insults, throw water balloons, eggs, or false hellos at people minding their own business passing by?

What really annoys me is that they bring the worst out in me, too. A few weeks ago after dodging an egg on Monday night, a flying glass bottle on Wednesday, a water balloon on Thursday, and after having seen my girlfriend doused by some liquid or other from a passing souped up knackermobile on Western Road a few days later, some bozo bimbo oompa-lumpa young ones in a hired Limo started shouting unintelligible garbage at me while stopped at lights on Grand Parade. Now, I never yell on the street, but something in me gave at the sight of them and I called them 'common' in such a way as they must have heard me. Afterwards I very much regretted stooping to their level, but after a particularly bad two weeks Leeside on account of people like that, I was at my wits' end.

Anyone else ever had bad RSI?
    Recurrent shoulder pain from laying a footpath about six years ago. Typing on a keyboard at an uncomfortable desk can bring it back sometimes! Very annoying.
    tech2 wrote: »
    My musical taste can differ on what kind of moods I would be in. The bands and artists I would usually listen to would be like The Clash, Pearl Jam, Neil Young to name just a few.

Does anyone else listen to a bit of grunge?

Grunge...not really...I used to like Nirvana but I find it a bit self-suffering now. I actually like the Cardigans, Catatonia, REM, Suede ... things like that (and yes, Chris, I also like early Oasis stuff too :D). I like classical as well, and some older ballads by Planxty such as "Well Below the Valley" and "As I Roved Out". I don't like R&B, rap, rave, techno or rebel songs at all. Don't know how people can enjoy them!

emot-barf-1.gif

And FWIW the worst anyones ever shouted to me from a car happened along Washington street. It was about 8pm and a little dark. A car pulled up beside me, the window opened, a knacker stuck his head out, shouted "GET A ****ING HAIRCUT" and drove off quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Was in Spain over the weekend, landed in Barcelona, drove down to Valencia for the Moto Gp race. Roughly a 4hr drive, + a 2hr pizza and beer stop in the middle. So what kind of toll do you think would be reasonable for a journey 350 or so kilometres long? €5-10 maybe? Try €35! Thank god there were 5 of us in the car! We had 3 cars, group of 14, so in total €100 each way. I'll never complain when crossing the Westlink again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Bards

Roryhy wrote: »
    Was in Spain over the weekend, landed in Barcelona, drove down to Valencia for the Moto Gp race. Roughly a 4hr drive, + a 2hr pizza and beer stop in the middle. So what kind of toll do you think would be reasonable for a journey 350 or so kilometres long? €5-10 maybe? Try €35! Thank god there were 5 of us in the car! We had 3 cars, group of 14, so in total €100 each way. I'll never complain when crossing the Westlink again!

How much is petrol, Road Tax, Insurance etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Petrol, same. Tax, insurance, haven't got a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I'm just after fixing my xbox 360. The cd drive would not open:mad:. Turns out that the drive for the tray is cheap and they it slips a gear every so often thinking the cd is stuck in the machine.

The manual open pinhole sorted it as it sends a signal just to drive it out regardless of the sensor flagging it not to. It will probably come back to haunt me again :D

Furet wrote:
    Grunge...not really...I used to like Nirvana but I find it a bit self-suffering now. I actually like the Cardigans, Catatonia, REM, Suede ... things like that (and yes, Chris, I also like early Oasis stuff too:D ). I like classical as well, and some older ballads by Planxty such as "Well Below the Valley" and "As I Roved Out". I don't like R&B, rap, rave, techno or rebel songs at all. Don't know how people can enjoy them!

I like the older tracks from Oasis. The albums back then did not consist of continuous filler that we see on rubbish today. Play some supersonic on your next road trip on the M8!!

Nirvana live in new york would have been some show to have seen. Smells like teen spirit is abused more than enough and its legendary status has been wiped away with the amount of radio play it gets.

Personally I think London Calling by the Clash is the best album ever made. Sure why not download it and have a listen :)

Just sitting on a GoBus in Galway Coach Station waiting to leave for Dublin. A City Link multi-stop bus is just after leaving nearly empty. There's another City Link bus (a non-stop one) beside me and it's a new fancy double decker coach. You'd have top notch views of the M6/4 from the front seats in the upper deck. Think I might use City Link for my next trip to Dublin..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Any of the lads have a thought on Wednesday's game then? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're dooooomed.... well, I am, to not seeing the match if it ends up on TV. Going to be in Brighton, grr.

MYOB wrote: »
    We're dooooomed....

Pretty much.

I'm still holding out some vague hope though that we can score in the first five minutes, and play the match as though the Croker game was a draw.

Even at that though, we'd want to have a two or three goal lead in the latter stage of the match to allow for the compulsary Irish Last Minute Easy Goal For The Other Team™.

So yeah, basically hopeless. But I'm hoping 'twill be a good match none-the-less.

I haven't given up hope on us pulling something off. Thought we did well in the first half on Saturday. The French played better in the second half but we didn't do ourselves any favours by giving the ball away many times.

Fair play to the team for coming back out after the game on Saturday to do a lap of honour and applaud the fans. Can't believe we'll have to go back to Lansdowne Road, Croke Park is so much better.

Can anyone recommend a nice B&B or guest house in Derry City? Must be nice but not too expensive. All tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭nordydan

Avoid the waterside if you're booking, that's the bit to the east of the Foyle. There are a few out the road to muff and the A40 to Johnstone.

nordydan wrote: »
    Avoid the waterside if you're booking, that's the bit to the east of the Foyle.
    Why's that? I was thinking of the Everglades Hotel...

Here's the start of an interesting series of videos about Clonmel just before the boom:

I think it's interesting as a curiosity piece! Do any other towns have videos like this about them on the web?

A bit about the history of the town here:

This part, and the end of the part above, deal with Bianconi's coaches:

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Any of the lads have a thought on Wednesday's game then? :D

Absolutely raging! Denied a World Cup summer by a deflected goal and a cheated goal. We have to wait 4 years for another shot at getting to the World Cup, for some of the players, this was their last chance. It's disgraceful!

Absolutely raging! Denied a World Cup summer by a deflected goal and a cheated goal. We have to wait 4 years for another shot at getting to the World Cup, for some of the players, this was their last chance. It's disgraceful!

Tis a disgrace. One can only hope Henry's reputation is deservedly ruined, as that's the only retribution we're going to get. As with everything in this world, the rules are set up to benefit a select few, and with pr*cks like Blatter and Flatini in charge, that isn't going to change anytime soon in the football world.

I hear FIFA have already ruled out a rematch, which is unsurprising, but disgraceful none-the-less.

• Advertisement

Furet & BluntGuy (or anyone else in Cork/The South), what's the flooding situation like down there?

I have never seen County Galway this bad. The City isn't too bad though, just some blocked drains causing a few small problems.

PLEASE POSTPONE ALL JOURNEYS IN CORK, GALWAY AND KERRY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. CONDITIONS ARE WORSENING AND HIGH TIDE IS BETWEEN 4-7PM. *GALWAY* • The N6 Dublin/Galway Rd is impassable due to flooding on the Loughrea side of Craughwell. Traffic delays are over an 1.5 hrs and tailbacks are 8kms eastbound and 10km's westbound. There is also bad flooding on both sides of Loughrea. The Athenry to Ballinasloe Rd (R348) is also badly flooded. • The N18 Ennis to Galway Rd is impassable at Gort due to bad flooding and severe traffic delays of up to 2hours. Diversions are in place around Gort and a stop/go system in place. Drivers can take the N66 Ennis to Loughrea Rd but will be blocked at Craughwell. • The N17 Galway to Tuam Rd is closed due to flooding, 5kms north of the city, 10minute diversions via Parkmore.
    *CORK CITY* • Water is being released from Inniscarra Dam, this will severely affect the city centre, conditions expected to worsen approaching high tide 6:30pm. The N22/Lee Rd, the Ballea Rd, Straight Rd, Inniscarra Rd and Carrigrohane Rd are all closed due to flooding. • The Ballygarvan/Five Mile Bridge Rd is closed. • The Togher exit off the Sarsfield Rd R/A and the Doughcloyne R/A are closed. • Centre Park, Tramore, and Rochestown/Passage West and Carrigaline/Crosshaven Rds are flooded. • Flooding at Courtbrack in Blarney, Powder mills in Ballincollig and Ballincollig/Coachford Rd (R618). *CORK* West Cork is badly affected by flooding. • The N71 Cork/Bantry Rd is impassable due to flooding at Skibereen, Clonakilty and at Inishannon. The road through Crossbarry is also flooded (R589). • The N22 Cork/Killarney Rd is flooded through Macroom. • The Macroom/Inchigeelagh Rd (R584) at Toons Bridge and the Coolyhane Rds are closed. • Very bad flooding on the N25 Cork/Waterford Rd from Midleton to Carrigtwohill.

Advertisement